Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Patrik Laine accepts QO with Blue Jackets (1 year, $7.5M)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I dont get the trade him just to trade him crowd, its incredibly moronic. He'll have a new system to play within and players around him that should be a much more fun offensive system. The 1 year deal gives the team and player time to feel each other out and go from there.
Also no, he cant just walk after this year

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Laine at this point is looking like the Finnish Yakupov. A very skilled flash in the pan that didn't have his head set straight and couldn't handle the pressure. He's supposed to be developing into a superstar about now, not be thrown around like a lazy, whining hot potato.

This is his year to show he is up to working hard to stay in this league and stop complaining. Work on his flaws instead of complaining no one is setting him up. He thought his shot alone would be enough to stay in the league.

Laine has shown very low levels of sisu for a Finnish player so far.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not the best or worst deal. This is the deal that puts him to the test. Torts leaving was probably what made him consider.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Reality of new contracts with ridiculous QO to finish the deal. CBJ hands were tied, but I think 30+ goals is doable with new culture making contract look better.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Lol 7.5. Only took him a few weeks to get a benching for running his mouth last year, wouldn't be shocked to see another one this season.
7.5 for a guy who never comes to camp in shape, maybe he's chasing the shuttlecock around again this offseason? Most likely chopping it around the Fin munis. I wonder if he's still with that legendary Suomi trainer? lol.
Alot of money for a fragile mind.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Call me crazy, but I still think Laine puts it together at some point, and becomes a legit star. His natural talent is unreal, 6’5” with a beyond elite shot, great offensive hockey IQ, great hands, and good enough skating. Dude put up a 44 goal, 70 point season at age 19 - it’s been all downhill from there, but he still has the talent to do that and more again.

Clearly he’s a head case, very inconsistent from game to game, lacking in preparation, focus, and consistent effort both on and off the ice. But when he’s “on”, he’s a stud, and I do think at some point he’ll mature and figure out how to be “on” much more consistently.

He’s only 23, he still has time to get his shit together, and I suspect he will. Probably not in Columbus - he doesn’t seem to respond well to hardass coaches or defence-first systems, and that’s certainly a weakness. Still, if he goes to an offensive system with a players coach and a top line (plus top PP) opening, I can absolutely see him tearing it up.

Last edited:

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
Laine is a good player who has been constantly surrounded by toxic environments, whether a terrible Winnipeg locker room, or a belligerent Torts. Sure, he needs to work on some things, but the hate this guy gets here isn't warranted.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
He's 100% worth that. Probably just not for Colombus. Was on pace for 33G, 76 points in 19-20. Had a rough year in a city he probably doesn't even want to play in for a coach most players don't want to play for during a pandemic season with little to no fans for most of the season on a team rotting at the bottom of the standings.

Yep, confirmed bust, no doubt about it.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
The hate here is funny. POS washed up Yakupov... the kid speaks his mind for sure but I dont get the sense that he is an entitled wasted player. Seems like the kind of player that isnt super focused all the time but truly wants to do well. I think the situation in Columbus with Torts gone and Finnish GM could pan out this season. He is not the type of player to lift the whole team, he certainly needs talent around him, but he has enough talent to still thrive in the league if things go decent to start the season.

Funny how he was so loved and celebrated at one point (not too long ago) but now is extremely loathed. If I had to bet my money, I would place it on Laine finding his game and continuing to score for years to come.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I know people love to rag on him, but for Laine's single game with the Jets last year before being traded, he was the best player on the ice. Good effort, solid play, netted some points.

I think he needs out of Columbus, that trade was the worst possible thing that could have happened to him.

Reactions: wabagee

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Call me crazy, but I still think Laine puts it together at some point, and becomes a legit star. His natural talent is unreal, 6’5” with a beyond elite shot, great offensive hockey IQ, great hands, and good enough skating. Dude put up a 44 goal, 70 point season at age 19 - it’s been all downhill from there, but he still has the talent to do that and more again.

Clearly he’s a head case, very inconsistent from game to game, lacking in preparation, focus, and consistent effort both on and off the ice. But when he’s “on”, he’s a stud, and I do think at some point he’ll mature and figure out how to be “on” much more consistently.

He’s only 23, he still has time to get his shit together, and I suspect he will.
That's not crazy at all. He already bounced back once and he'll probably do it again atleast to some degree.

Reactions: ponder

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I feel like Columbus should just start shopping him. Feels like a situation where he's just going to take his QO each year and then bounce. I think he's a guy that just wants to hit the market.

I think he'll definitely be a TDL consideration for Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad