CBJ @ Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paisano*

Not starting a game day thread here, I'll let someone with more artistic expertise do that but just how important is it to get a win out of the box? Went over to the Nashville boards http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1323923, they aren't overlooking us , expect a hard fought game but most are still expecting a win based on past CBJ experience there which sucks!

For some reason I'm thinking this game just might be a shocker. A bunch of pumped up players march into a hostile environment, a bunch picked by everyone to finish dead last, a bunch where half of them haven't played together, a place where they aren't expected to win.... I'm thinking this bunch just might click and pull out a win, which would be great coming home to Detroit with a win! Maybe it's just wishful thinking, especially if Mason starts. But I think the "no quit" attitude that seems to be taking over, this team is going to produce some exciting hockey this year! A huge change over the many 'yawners' we have endured over the years.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I dont know what it is but I really want to win the first couple games. This team desperately needs a good start to gain some confidence. Maybe I'm over thinking it due to last year's horrendous start, but I always believe the first couple games of any season/sport is huge. We need to win.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Right into the frying pan we go.

For us to win, we are going to have to have one of our goalies out-play Pekka.

Tough assignment. That guy carried Nashville last year and will again this season.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
A win would be outstanding, but its improbable. I'm just hoping we play well, points would be bonus. What is more important IMO is a regulation win Monday night at home.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
It will be interesting to see if these guys can keep up the pace of a bit of a change in the system. They are going to play a similar style as Nashville by forcing the puck carrier not sitting back and reacting to the puck carrier. That is a style that creates many turnovers, but also creates odd man rushes against if forecheckers can't stop that first pass.

BlueJacket2

Feb 26, 2012
The countdown is on and I am excited.:handclap: I have no clue what to expect except for seeing a completely different team and attitude on the ice.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It will be interesting to see if these guys can keep up the pace of a bit of a change in the system. They are going to play a similar style as Nashville by forcing the puck carrier not sitting back and reacting to the puck carrier. That is a style that creates many turnovers, but also creates odd man rushes against if forecheckers can't stop that first pass.

Very good point...this is HFboards, stop being so insightful :laugh:

I think/hope we have the right personnel to keep the pressure on the forecheck.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Very good point...this is HFboards, stop being so insightful :laugh:

I think/hope we have the right personnel to keep the pressure on the forecheck.

I think that with the young(er) guys like Brass and Atkinson on the 1st line, the whole second line of Dubi, Anisimov, and Dorsett and Foligno with RyJo or DMac or Letestu centering. Those guys are all fast skaters, so there should be some success with this system. It all depends on how long they can keep it up. It is a style that requires top physical condition to maintain.

If anyone has watched how the US WJC team has played the last several tournaments, that is how they play. Constant pressure on the puck mainly on the forecheck,with defenseman that can skate just as well. It is tough on the opponent to keep up and are forced to make quick decisions with the puck.

The good thing about this Jacket team (hopefully) is that they realize skill isn't going be the reason they win.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I think that with the young(er) guys like Brass and Atkinson on the 1st line, the whole second line of Dubi, Anisimov, and Dorsett and Foligno with RyJo or DMac or Letestu centering. Those guys are all fast skaters, so there should be some success with this system. It all depends on how long they can keep it up. It is a style that requires top physical condition to maintain.

If anyone has watched how the US WJC team has played the last several tournaments, that is how they play. Constant pressure on the puck mainly on the forecheck,with defenseman that can skate just as well. It is tough on the opponent to keep up and are forced to make quick decisions with the puck.

The good thing about this Jacket team (hopefully) is that they realize skill isn't going be the reason they win.

Springfield has been, and doing it quite well.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I remember back to when the Jackets traded Marc Denis for Freddie Norrena and Freddie Modin saying that I wanted a team that consisted of 4 lines of Freddie Modin clones. No single star, or even a line that the other team could focus on, but 4 lines of hard work which all could score about evenly.

Interestingly this is the closest the Jackets have come to that vision. The logical portion of me should be excited to see how this team does. The blind fan in me should be anxious for hockey to be back to cheer the team on.

The issue is I'm still finding it hard to care. I found the process of picking new games for my season ticket package to be a hassle to try and shoe-horn into my now full spring schedule. I didn't even consider for a moment of making the 4 hour round trip to come down to the opening of training camp, something I haven't missed since 2006.

As the first game will be blacked out for me since I only have GameCenter Live, I'll probably watch the FIBT World Cup, since they are happy to have fans of their two sports. Maybe after Monday's opener I'll feel the urge to go back and watch the Saturday game, but more than likely, I'll just read the box score in the program.

Hope all that actually can watch the game find their joy with the game once again.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I remember back to when the Jackets traded Marc Denis for Freddie Norrena and Freddie Modin saying that I wanted a team that consisted of 4 lines of Freddie Modin clones. No single star, or even a line that the other team could focus on, but 4 lines of hard work which all could score about evenly.

Interestingly this is the closest the Jackets have come to that vision. The logical portion of me should be excited to see how this team does. The blind fan in me should be anxious for hockey to be back to cheer the team on.

The issue is I'm still finding it hard to care. I found the process of picking new games for my season ticket package to be a hassle to try and shoe-horn into my now full spring schedule. I didn't even consider for a moment of making the 4 hour round trip to come down to the opening of training camp, something I haven't missed since 2006.

As the first game will be blacked out for me since I only have GameCenter Live, I'll probably watch the FIBT World Cup, since they are happy to have fans of their two sports. Maybe after Monday's opener I'll feel the urge to go back and watch the Saturday game, but more than likely, I'll just read the box score in the program.

Hope all that actually can watch the game find their joy with the game once again.

This is very sad, understandable but still sad.

Prime example of a lock out casualty.

I wish you a return of your passion at some point.

Nordique

Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I hope the boys earn your full interest back. You are a diehard fan and a legend on YouTube.

My 9 and 10 year old love hockey for 2 reasons.

1. Dad watches it non stop.

2. Skraut makes awesome CBJ videos.

If any of you haven't seen the "My Town" CBJ video on YouTube, you are missing out. Every fan should see that.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
One of the best things about this new season is that when playing at Nashville there won't be anymore of those damned TooToo whistles.

Hopefully the Wings faithful don't pick up the tradition.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I don't have high expectations at this point and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised. Both goaltending and scoring are huge question marks. What I am hoping for is to see the team form a post-Nash identity and give JD an opportunity to assess all of the pieces that are in place. It's showtime for Howson, Richards and the boys. It should be interesting. I am glad hockey is back!

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Wait why are you blacked out if you have GCL? Is it because of the stupid NBCSN game at 7? I'm gonna be so pissed if I can't watch this thing.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Wait why are you blacked out if you have GCL? Is it because of the stupid NBCSN game at 7? I'm gonna be so pissed if I can't watch this thing.

I live in Cleveland, and because I could watch the game on Fox Sports Ohio (provided the Cavs aren't playing) if I was willing to spend an additional $100/month on reality shows, shopping networks, and left and right wing propaganda channels, none of which I want. And since I don't want cable TV, I am blocked out from seeing the game for 48 hours.

In the past I had proxied around it when I had a home theater pc hooked to my TV, but I remodeled the house and have since moved to roku, and internet connected blu-ray for streaming content.

This'll pretty much always limit me to watching the games 48 hours later when the blackout is lifted. I quit twitter/facebook, and will probably limit my time here in order to avoid spoiling the games. So if I want to watch hockey, I have to quit talking about hockey. If I want to talk hockey, it'll spoil watching the hockey.

It's why I've started gravitating toward sports that broadcast their events live freely for anyone to see. Yeah it's a bit more lonely, as I have no one to chat Aussie Football or Bobsled with, but it is much easier to have an internet connected device and be a fan of those sports, than it is to be an NHL fan. And I've reached a point in my life where I don't have the time, or energy to fight so hard to watch something that doesn't want me to watch it, even if I have paid for it.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I hope the boys earn your full interest back. You are a diehard fan and a legend on YouTube.

My 9 and 10 year old love hockey for 2 reasons.

1. Dad watches it non stop.

2. Skraut makes awesome CBJ videos.

If any of you haven't seen the "My Town" CBJ video on YouTube, you are missing out. Every fan should see that.

Thanks for the compliment. They were something I was glad I could make and share with everyone.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
If the NHL has managed to lose Skraut, then I am really afraid to see what the crowds will be like at the Nat in games after the home opener.

If they can run a fan of his passion off, then the CBJ may truly be doomed for a long time to come.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I live in Cleveland, and because I could watch the game on Fox Sports Ohio (provided the Cavs aren't playing) if I was willing to spend an additional $100/month on reality shows, shopping networks, and left and right wing propaganda channels, none of which I want. And since I don't want cable TV, I am blocked out from seeing the game for 48 hours.

In the past I had proxied around it when I had a home theater pc hooked to my TV, but I remodeled the house and have since moved to roku, and internet connected blu-ray for streaming content.

This'll pretty much always limit me to watching the games 48 hours later when the blackout is lifted. I quit twitter/facebook, and will probably limit my time here in order to avoid spoiling the games. So if I want to watch hockey, I have to quit talking about hockey. If I want to talk hockey, it'll spoil watching the hockey.

It's why I've started gravitating toward sports that broadcast their events live freely for anyone to see. Yeah it's a bit more lonely, as I have no one to chat Aussie Football or Bobsled with, but it is much easier to have an internet connected device and be a fan of those sports, than it is to be an NHL fan. And I've reached a point in my life where I don't have the time, or energy to fight so hard to watch something that doesn't want me to watch it, even if I have paid for it.

Thanks for explaining it to me.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Actual game talk? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited?:)

By the way, interesting to know I'm not the only Aussie Rules fan around here.

IHeartZherdev*

I cannot wait to watch Cam Atkinson skake circles around Hal Gill.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Oh man, you're done with the CBJ and making videos? NHL really messed up this time. :(

I really don't know. My wife would probably be pissed if I didn't use the editing software for something, as it was with great reluctance that she let me buy it with the associated price tag. But will it be for more hockey videos, I don't know.

A while ago JacketFan kept questioning me why I left my money with the team, and didn't demand a refund. It seemed he thought that by leaving my money with those causing the lockout I was personally responsible for enabling the lockout to continue.

I gave a response that I wanted to have my money keep paying for the ticket reps, marketing people, and all the people who worked through the lockout, because I had been in their shoes. And while that was a good portion of it, the real reason is that I knew if I pulled my money out, I wouldn't be back. I knew if I cancelled my GameCenter Live instead of letting it roll over, I wouldn't renew.

There is part of me that still wont let me let go. It's the same part that automatically makes my fingers type http://www.hfboards.com/ when I'm bored at a computer. So I'm going to use the 7 games this season to go, see if I enjoy myself, and figure out if it makes sense to keep doing what I have done in the past.

It's just that instead of going into the season with high expectations, or even realistic expectations, I'm going in with none. Not from the excitement level about the possibility of the team. Not with even the feeling of knowing I can show up at the arena, and win or lose have a good time.

Right now my tickets feel like an obligation. The team and the league have 48 games to change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad