OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So here I was thinking I'd just minimize board participation on my part until the forum changeover, as I didn't want to get discussions mixed into a "content will vanish" Flag Day.

Oops. :(

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Btw. his name really is just Bjorkstrand, and they don't even have letter ö in Danish, it would be ø. But it's just a plain old boring "o" anyways ;)

(off topic warning!)

Ah, I stand corrected. Though it's much more complicated than you think:

Björkstrand is Swedish and means "birch beach". It could be also Norwegian, but then it would have that 'ø', which in turn is just Norwegian / Danish way to type letter 'ö'.

If it was Danish name, it would be "Birkestrand", not "Bjørkstrand" or "Bjorkstrand".

But as I did dig deeper on the subject, his great great grand parents were from Sweden and Norway (and dad is American), so I guess those "dots over o" were removed back then in Minnesota or thereabouts.

It's probably not a surprise that many Swedish, Finnish and even some Danish sources call Oliver Bjorkstrand Oliver Björkstrand (which makes sense as it actually means something and is not just a bunch of letters stuck together), but that's probably about 100+ years old form...

Most people living in America eventually submits to the limited alphabet like Sergej Fyodorov (or Fyodoroff) who officially changed his name to Fedorov. (Poor Semyon fella was called "Semen" in NA..)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
(off topic warning!)

Ah, I stand corrected. Though it's much more complicated than you think:

Björkstrand is Swedish and means "birch beach". It could be also Norwegian, but then it would have that 'ø', which in turn is just Norwegian / Danish way to type letter 'ö'.

If it was Danish name, it would be "Birkestrand", not "Bjørkstrand" or "Bjorkstrand".

But as I did dig deeper on the subject, his great great grand parents were from Sweden and Norway (and dad is American), so I guess those "dots over o" were removed back then in Minnesota or thereabouts.

It's probably not a surprise that many Swedish, Finnish and even some Danish sources call Oliver Bjorkstrand Oliver Björkstrand (which makes sense as it actually means something and is not just a bunch of letters stuck together), but that's probably about 100+ years old form...

Most people living in America eventually submits to the limited alphabet like Sergej Fyodorov (or Fyodoroff) who officially changed his name to Fedorov. (Poor Semyon fella was called "Semen" in NA..)
I doubt Fyodorov changed his name to Fedorov. Because although his name in Russian is Фёдоров, Russian can write the font "Ё" like "Е". So he simly used the second font. Btw there`re many mistakes. For example Chara. It`s bad. Slovak Chára is Khara if right pronunciation. Černák - Chernak and not Cernak. The surname Konecny`s ancestors was probably Konečný - Konechny and not Konecny. I think Roslovic is Croatian/Serbian surname so if yes, his pronunciation should be Roslovich. Etc, etc.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I doubt Fyodorov changed his name to Fedorov. Because although his name in Russian is Фёдоров, Russian can write the font "Ё" like "Е". So he simly used the second font. Btw there`re many mistakes. For example Chara. It`s bad. Slovak Chára is Khara if right pronunciation. Černák - Chernak and not Cernak. The surname Konecny`s ancestors was probably Konečný - Konechny and not Konecny. I think Roslovic is Croatian/Serbian surname so if yes, his pronunciation should be Roslovich. Etc, etc.

I might be wrong about S. Fyodorov, but that's something I heard back then. And yes, Muricans typically just write all letters that have dots & whatnots just without those little markings like if they didn't matter.

For obvious reasons, Semyon Varlamov is tranlittered as such and not Semen Varlamov (akin to Fedorov/Fyodorov)...

Interesting insight about that Roslovich dude. I have been once in Croatia and I love that country.

/ End of off topic, I promise...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Very probable; we've got a lot of those, especially in and around Cleveland and the rest of northeastern Ohio. They're not as common in Columbus per se but they're still around.

I just assume the pronunciation got mutated by an ancestor somewhere along the way. That tends to happen around here. (We're reasonably certain, for example, that my mother's maiden surname (and part of my hyphenated last name) got the Ellis Island Special treatment, but don't know exactly what it used to be...)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
How about the names with r in them, such as Bednar or Dvorak?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
How about the names with r in them, such as Bednar or Dvorak?
Bednar can be "Bednář" (it is Czech surname). Ř reads like RZH but you must read it very speed. See the article more precisely.
Dvorak - "Dvořák"
Á, Í - read long
Still Knazko - Slovak Kňažko right - Knazhko. But it isn`t precisely too because "Ň" must be read softly.
Slavic languages aren`t easy... :)

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Everything I know about Czech language I learned from this:

"Jóžin z Bážin".... to teda hej ... :laugh::laugh::laugh: But Ivan Mládek is excelent. His 2008 vaccination scene was oracular. But he has a lot of great ones.
btw, subtitles are Polish
As I see I must learn you a Slovak song. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very interested in which line he will play in. Especially if Max Domi's return draws nearer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
"Jóžin z Bážin".... to teda hej ... :laugh::laugh::laugh: But Ivan Mládek is excelent. His 2008 vaccination scene was oracular. But he has a lot of great ones.
btw, subtitles are Polish
As I see I must learn you a Slovak song. ;)

1) I knew about the subtitles, I meant that as part of the joke.

2) Just any excuse to post this video.

3) Would love to learn a Slovak song!

Reactions: Viqsi and VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@Double-Shift Lasse
if similar music style like Ivan Mládek:

Lojzo (read Loyzo) had many excelent, cheerful songs..., they took music with humour. :) And some prophetic. I very like that group.

EDIT:
If you are interested, an excellent film from the times of the USSR from 1967 based on the short story "Viy" by Nikolai Gogol. I recommend it to you. English subtitles

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You yes but I don`t know if all who would wanted to know it. A song in another thread. ;)
I dunno. People ask me if I know any languages other than English and I have to say "do programming languages count? I can write Python like a native..."

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
@Double-Shift Lasse
if similar music style like Ivan Mládek:

Lojzo (read Loyzo) had many excelent, cheerful songs..., they took music with humour. :) And some prophetic. I very like that group.

EDIT:
If you are interested, an excellent film from the times of the USSR from 1967 based on the short story "Viy" by Nikolai Gogol. I recommend it to you. English subtitles

Ha those are good tunes! I am singing the melodies in my head even though I don’t understand the words.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ha those are good tunes! I am singing the melodies in my head even though I don’t understand the words.
Btw original the first song here

but I like Lojzo version more. Although it doesn't change the fact that it has great songs. And "Mucha Tse Tse (Fly Tse Tse)" is prophetic.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

My father's side is from Lithuania and when my grandfather came over, my last name went from 10 letters to 6.

Reactions: VT and Halberdier

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Congrats.

If you think buying a home is stressful, try owning a home. I spent a bunch of money last week to get a major kitchen appliance repaired.

Yeap, it's a 2005 build, only 1 owner with all the major items either new or still under warranty a while.

The major issue was the heat pump. Since my place is on the top floor, the unit has to be on roof and I would have to pay for a crane since it wont fit in the elevator, but it was just updated in 2019.

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad