GDT: CBJ @LAK 4/16 10:30 pm | nobody’s staying up when the tank and draft threads are so busy edition

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
seen just about enough of Laine in a CBJ uniform

no team concept

defense of a rodeo clown-----Ooh Lay
He was fine other than the one goal against. Other than some sparks by that line, the only consistent line was the Kuraly line which Larsen self destructed later in the game for no reason.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
While I'm definitely hoping for no gross overpay for him, I also have to ask "what team concept?" for the middle portion of your post. Call me critical, but I think the CBJ have barely qualified as a "team" this year as opposed to a random collection of individuals. Lars really hasn't laid it out for us, either. Some lines have gelled but otherwise just a bunch of poo to see what sticks for the coming years
This got a lot worse after Boone went down. And to some extent when we lost Texier as well. There was a decent amount of continuity in the beginning of the year with Tex and Boone in the lineup, then a bit less with Tex gone, and it’s all gone to shit with Boone out.

As for me, I’d like to keep Laine. I like when the team scores goals.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah I don't know why they're shortening the bench at this point in the season. What do we get out of that?
Maybe with the season now “officially” over Larsen will stop doing that shit. It makes no sense. Play the damn kids.

Granted, it wasn’t a good game by anyone in particular. But if anyone deserved benching it was Jake or Bjork. Yet they were out there in the end because veterans. I get it, and I wouldn’t bitch about it if the kids kept playing through the struggles, but since they didn’t, it’s annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- I very like Nick Blankenburg. Positional play, skating, acceleration, hitting. He's skill and smart. I think he was our the best d-man. One can be steal.
- Jake Bean... I think he's a good d-man. But his problem is strength. It's alfa and omega his problems.
- I didn't watch the 1th period, only watched goals, so I can't comment it. But I like Gus Nyquist, Patrik Laine, the 4th line in the 2nd and the 3th periods. From d-men Nick Blankenburg and Vladislav Gavrikov.
- Andy Peeke is bad in offense, his has lack of skill and hockey vision. But his defense is very good, really.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's fine. Look at his weight and age. He has to get used to it gradually. He's not a 24-year-old Nick Blankenburg.
Why are we burning a year off his entry level deal if he’s going to be a glorified bench warmer. If he wasn’t ready, let him go back to Michigan. Is this helping anyone?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
- I very like Nick Blankenburg. Positional play, skating, acceleration, hitting. He's skill and smart. I think he was our the best d-man. One can be steal.
- Jake Bean... I think he's a good d-man. But his problem is strength. It's alfa and omega his problems.
- I didn't watch the 1th period, only watched goals, so I can't comment it. But I like Gus Nyquist, Patrik Laine, the 4th line in the 2nd and the 3th periods. From d-men Nick Blankenburg and Vladislav Gavrikov.
- Andy Peeke is bad in offense, his has lack of skill and hockey vision. But his defense is very good, really.

I didn't think I'd be saying this when I first heard about this Blankenburg kid, but he doesn't need to change a thing and he could play for this team for 10 years.

For Peeke let's hope he has a good summer training with pucks and whatever training tools he needs to sharpen his vision. And Bean and Boqvist, let's hope they have great offseasons in the gym.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why are we burning a year off his entry level deal if he’s going to be a glorified bench warmer. If he wasn’t ready, let him go back to Michigan. Is this helping anyone?
Even if he doesn't play one could sign only 2 years from the new season. I think it's good he plays.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I didn't think I'd be saying this when I first heard about this Blankenburg kid, but he doesn't need to change a thing and he could play for this team for 10 years.

For Peeke let's hope he has a good summer training with pucks and whatever training tools he needs to sharpen his vision. And Bean and Boqvist, let's hope they have great offseasons in the gym.
I understand why Colorado wanted to sign him now. Although Avs have excellent d-men.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The 10 TOI is too low, I'd agree. And I would have sent him to the AHL like the Knights did with Brisson. His play is about what you'd expect. Not bad just a bit limited in what he can do while we wait for him to get stronger.

They wanted to shorten the ELC. Take note that Jarmo does this with prospects every year - like a lot of GMs they want to get to that 2nd contract faster. Heck, half the Michigan team just went pro now, before the end of a season. They're all burning year 1.

Reactions: LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I hope Jody will do one of those "Under Review" segments with him. There's already a bunch of great educational video material of him playing outstanding defense in these two games. He's also sounded smart and well-spoken on the interviews, I bet he would give good explanations and breakdowns of the plays as well.

Jarmo wants playoffs next year. He needs to know which players of this year's team will be a part of that team. Johnson may not be ready now but he could be more ready in the fall, if he's already introduced to NHL level of play so that he will know what type and how much of training he needs to do in the summer. Only granting him ~10 minutes per game will get his feet wet and some time to reflect on everything that occurs during the game.

I'm neither defending nor criticizing Jarmo, just guessing possible reasons.

Reactions: Doggy and VT

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Larsen to his credit is still trying to win games … Johnson needs to be given more ice time though . Sure he needs to get stronger , and will this off-season .. but playing him 8 to 10 minutes a night is silly . He doesn’t look overwhelmed.. Not a fan of the line he’s on though .

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Call me critical, but I think the CBJ have barely qualified as a "team" this year
That's the truth. On the other side they have over achieved as a team this year through all of the mess.

Development! Welcome to the team kid

Nothing wrong with this.

nope. I don’t like this.

Nothing wrong with this.
Not that I've been complaining at all about this :sarcasm: but Jarmo has decided that league play is now going to be part of development for our young players. So let's not debate about that here and accept the fact that these guys most likely are going to be on the team next year. The better question is who will be moved to make room for them and how is Jarmo going to make the team better for next year.
Larsen to his credit is still trying to win games … Johnson needs to be given more ice time though . Sure he needs to get stronger , and will this off-season .. but playing him 8 to 10 minutes a night is silly . He doesn’t look overwhelmed.. Not a fan of the line he’s on though .
He hasn't earned more minutes. He's right where he needs to be right now. He's gaining a lot of experience and can see how far he to go to be successful in the NHL. I see nothing wrong here.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not that I've been complaining at all about this :sarcasm: but Jarmo has decided that league play is now going to be part of development for our young players. So let's not debate about that here and accept the fact that these guys most likely are going to be on the team next year. The better question is who will be moved to make room for them and how is Jarmo going to make the team better for next year.

He hasn't earned more minutes. He's right where he needs to be right now. He's gaining a lot of experience and can see how far he to go to be successful in the NHL. I see nothing wrong here.

I'm not actually sure if that was a big picture decision by Jarmo or just accidental. I don't like that they've underused the AHL and we should be able to discuss it here.

Personally I'd love to see a bunch of our prospects like KJ, Pyyhtia, Chinakhov, etc... have a year in the AHL to dominate as a group and get stronger. I like what Buffalo did this year with leaving Quinn and Peterka in the AHL to tear it up, and what Ottawa did two years back when they left Batherson and Norris in the AHL to marinate there.

The alternative is making room by shipping out more of our veterans and I don't like that idea much. I'd rather have a competitive team and bring along the kids when they're ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm not actually sure if that was a big picture decision by Jarmo or just accidental. I don't like that they've underused the AHL and we should be able to discuss it here.

Personally I'd love to see a bunch of our prospects like KJ, Pyyhtia, Chinakhov, etc... have a year in the AHL to dominate as a group and get stronger. I like what Buffalo did this year with leaving Quinn and Peterka in the AHL to tear it up, and what Ottawa did two years back when they left Batherson and Norris in the AHL to marinate there.

The alternative is making room by shipping out more of our veterans and I don't like that idea much. I'd rather have a competitive team and bring along the kids when they're ready.
Still one important thing. Chinakhov, Marchenko, Johnson aren't bottom 6 players. But I don't see any reason to trade Bjorkstrand, Laine (if he resigns), Nyquist or Voracek for them. Also we have Texier. Bemstrom starts to show his play. I think Foudy deserves his chance.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
All players tried too hard on their own, no passes, where is the team work? Laine was open couple times, Roslovic no pass, tries desperate on his own, same for Laine, tried too hard on his own. And other players, system seemed broken...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For next season, there are too many forwards. I mean, there are probably already too many and we’re adding to the pile next year.

Funny reading this thread and positive reviews for Danforth and Meyer and someone else saying it will be interesting to see who gets moved. There’s gonna be some stuff we don’t like.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For next season, there are too many forwards. I mean, there are probably already too many and we’re adding to the pile next year.

Funny reading this thread and positive reviews for Danforth and Meyer and someone else saying it will be interesting to see who gets moved. There’s gonna be some stuff we don’t like.

Send the kids to the AHL, then nobody has to get moved out.

Reactions: Jovavic

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Send the kids to the AHL, then nobody has to get moved out.
Closing the door to the NHL without even giving them a chance to make it is not how you develop either.

Marchenko isn’t coming over to play in the minors. Bemstrom and Texier are no longer waiver exempt so they’re either here or traded. Sillinger isn’t going back to the minors or juniors, neither is Boqvist, Peeke, or Bean.

That really just leaves Johnson. Who could start the year next year in the minors, but I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad