GDT: CBJ @LAK 4/16 10:30 pm | nobody’s staying up when the tank and draft threads are so busy edition

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Closing the door to the NHL without even giving them a chance to make it is not how you develop either.

A year ago Steve Yzerman said that Lucas Raymond wasn't going to make the Red Wings until he was one of the team's best 6 forwards or top PP guys. I'd be pleased if we said the same to KJ.

Yes you give them a chance to make it, but you don't clear out veterans to make room, they have to actually outperform the vets first.

Marchenko isn’t coming over to play in the minors.

Who cares what his intentions are? We are developing players for the long term success of the Columbus Blue Jackets, not for the ego management of a bunch of kids. Promising jobs to kids is not how you run a successful team. You don't go hat in hand to them and beg them to sign with you and promise them an NHL job right away, you tell them "this is the exact type of improvement we need to see from you if you want to win that job you've been dreaming of".

Reactions: EspenK and VT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Who cares what his intentions are?
They do.

If he’s signing with no assurances, then fair enough. If they told him you have an opportunity to make the team, then yeah. It’s fair game. But if they told him he was going to have a spot, the same assurances they gave to Bemstrom and Hoffman when they came over, which I assume they’ll do the same for him, then yeah you kind of have to honor that. Also Jarmo and marchenko’s agent have referred to him coming over here and playing “in Columbus” when his contract in Russia expires for like two years now.

If no assurances were made, then we’re good to go with him starting in Cleveland. Which I agree is probably the best path, but given recent history with Russian prospects and our own way of getting people over here, I would assume that assurance has been made.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If Jarmo is feeling pressured to make the playoffs next year, which may have lead to bringing some "unready" prospects over to Columbus a bit earlier than in more ideal circumstances, I wonder is that pressure mostly self-inflicted or does it come partially from the ownership?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If Jarmo is feeling pressured to make the playoffs next year, which may have lead to bringing some "unready" prospects over to Columbus a bit earlier than in more ideal circumstances, I wonder is that pressure mostly self-inflicted or does it come partially from the ownership?
Both jarmo and JD got contract extensions and a green light to rebuild/reload/re whatever. I don’t think there’s pressure to win right now

Reactions: EspenK and LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Both jarmo and JD got contract extensions and a green light to rebuild/reload/re whatever. I don’t think there’s pressure to win right now
Ok, let's assume there isn't any kind of pressure coming from anywhere. So what is then our best guess for the answer to this/these questions?

Why are we burning a year off his entry level deal if he’s going to be a glorified bench warmer. If he wasn’t ready, let him go back to Michigan. Is this helping anyone?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Ok, let's assume there isn't any kind of pressure coming from anywhere. So what is then our best guess for the answer to this/these questions?
1. They want the ELC over earlier, or at the very least think the pros of him getting any ice time outweigh the "cons" of losing an ELC year
2. Cleveland is a far better place for him to develop if he isn't close to NHL ready
3. Any NHL game play helps Kent currently, he's just here to get a feel for the league. It was his second game ever and in the long run it will be OK

Edit: For the record I disagree with the idea you floated about "pressure to win" being connected with prospects arriving earlier. I don't think those things have anything to do with one another. This year they just brought guys to camp and let it all shake out on merit alone, for example I think if the team happened to have a center better than Sillinger in camp then Cole would have started in the AHL.

However I will concede that I want the Monsters to be a better team, we all saw how beneficial the Calder Cup run was.

2nd edit: I'm not a fan of the game by game TOI watching when it comes to development of a player, plus there was tons of special teams time last night. Now if he gets really low TOI all 9 games that's another story.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Burning a year of the ELC is fairly common for good college kids and guys you are trying to lure to North America from overseas. So that is why we did it for KJ. It doesnt really signal anything.

Reactions: DJA and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They do.

If he’s signing with no assurances, then fair enough. If they told him you have an opportunity to make the team, then yeah. It’s fair game. But if they told him he was going to have a spot, the same assurances they gave to Bemstrom and Hoffman when they came over, which I assume they’ll do the same for him, then yeah you kind of have to honor that. Also Jarmo and marchenko’s agent have referred to him coming over here and playing “in Columbus” when his contract in Russia expires for like two years now.

If no assurances were made, then we’re good to go with him starting in Cleveland. Which I agree is probably the best path, but given recent history with Russian prospects and our own way of getting people over here, I would assume that assurance has been made.

Yeah I'm just putting my opinion out there that we shouldn't be making promises to a lot of different prospects. If Jarmo has done that then that's unfortunate.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I tend to think of it the other way around. If you want to win next year you fill the team up with "Nyquist-type" veterans, more of an Islanders type build. No rookies unless they're fully marinated in the AHL.

Reactions: EspenK and LJ7

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not actually sure if that was a big picture decision by Jarmo or just accidental. I don't like that they've underused the AHL and we should be able to discuss it here.

Personally I'd love to see a bunch of our prospects like KJ, Pyyhtia, Chinakhov, etc... have a year in the AHL to dominate as a group and get stronger.
Of course I agree with this but now that they are knee deep in this with KJ I'm hating the idea of him in Cleveland and would prefer to keep him here. I would have preferred another year at UofM but that ship has sailed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Of course I agree with this but now that they are knee deep in this with KJ I'm hating the idea of him in Cleveland and would prefer to keep him here. I would have preferred another year at UofM but that ship has sailed.

Knee deep in what?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Rookie hoopla? I am already so over it.

Take that shiny new toy and put it away until it is ready.
1650330614451.png

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad