Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There is another possibility. Anyone doesn't want Babcock to be his coach. What's he gonna do? He tells to Commodore or Bissonnette that, for example, "Babcock wanted us to show him our photos and he showed us his. It was weird." Nothing more, since he knew those would make an elephant out of it to the detriment of Babcock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
I find value in a coach who makes a loosing team feel uncomfortable. Push’s the accepted social norms of a loosing franchise.

What the hell did he do in late August? Bring a cat to bring your dog to work day? Is he smoking cigarettes in the loading dock?

Reactions: thebus88

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
I’ve lost interest. To be frank, I’m tired of all the non-reporting. I know it’s ongoing, but surely someone has been able to talk with someone who can confirm the weirdness. Until that - absent some wacky development - I have no more thoughts.
Well, you’re no fun…..:laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is another possibility. Anyone doesn't want Babcock to be his coach. What's he gonna do? He tells to Commodore or Bissonnette that, for example, "Babcock wanted us to show him our photos and he showed us his. It was weird." Nothing more, since he knew those would make an elephant out of it to the detriment of Babcock.

I think it's worth clarifying that the player almost certainly didn't plan on this info getting to Spittin Chiclets and blowing up there. When Biz first put out the story he had only talked to a non-Jacket (he showed the text) about it. It was probably Commodore and I'm guessing he didn't ask for permission before making a story out of it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think it's worth clarifying that the player almost certainly didn't plan on this info getting to Spittin Chiclets and blowing up there. When Biz first put out the story he had only talked to a non-Jacket (he showed the text) about it. It was probably Commodore and I'm guessing he didn't ask for permission before making a story out of it.
Just to Commodore. My mistake.

Rather, I meant to post the information because a player knows Commodore hates Babs and the information is sure not to be kept secret.

Anyway, I think we're just about to see what kind of captain Boone Jenner is, or if someone else will turn out to be one.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Going to be a great behind the battle episode. Might rival the Kardashians.
Not sure your opinion of that group, but figure that would essentially be drying out the husk of a depraved animal then burning it to ash; then washing it with a bit of water blessed by some obscured self-prescribed holy figure; then inserted directly to anus before spewing its nonsense to the greater world. It's shit no matter who's rear it is coming out of.

Note: My opinion of "Kardashians" is low. My opinion of a guillotine is far higher.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Oh my. Russo doesn’t make stuff up. This is officially bad.
What’s actually bad is the camaraderie and cohesion within the “locker room”, between both the players and the coach, seemingly right now (and I believe in the past couple years) and moving forward.

THIS IS COACH 3 in a very short time frame.

At what point do we start to look at the players that apparently have such a big problem with this?? It all depends how much of a problem these players actually had/have regarding the situation. Is it all still being blown way out of proportion??

That said, if there are players that were bothered so much showing pictures in an introductory manner, they seem like the type of people that could literally never sit down face to face and talk/straighten things out with another man/human being like Babcock.

Would THAT would make them uncomfortable!?!

So while I think this is being blown out of proportion by the “mainstream hockey media” and that they are CLEARLY PRESSURING JARMO/JD to fire Babcock, which I also find ridiculous, the Columbus Blue Jackets are now at a ‘fork in the road’ with where they go from here, IMO.

I’d look to have a serious heart to heart talk with the players that apparently have an issue, and I’d look to move the problem players, not another good hockey coach.

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Some timeline thoughts from the recent TSN podcast. I'm a little wary of linking it because Aaron Ward early says Babcock is a pervert essentially parroting the SC guys, I just don't get this angle at all but oh well.

Ward: I don't believe Babcock will survive this

Anyhow the timeline, at around 12 minutes in, verbatim as best I could:

Ward didn't clarify how many days ago this was, but seemingly at least a few days ago, could be longer. Hopefully the front office has at least started fixing things before the story broke out or have something to prove they were going to...
“Social norms”

They change about as much and as quickly as Elvis Merzlikins’ statistics…

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’d look to have a serious heart to heart talk with the players that apparently have an issue, and I’d look to move the problem players, not another good hockey coach.

I'd want to know what is being complained about before I considered that option.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Not sure your opinion of that group, but figure that would essentially be drying out the husk of a depraved animal then burning it to ash; then washing it with a bit of water blessed by some obscured self-prescribed holy figure; then inserted directly to anus before spewing its nonsense to the greater world. It's shit no matter who's rear it is coming out of.

Note: My opinion of "Kardashians" is low. My opinion of a guillotine is far higher.
My entire post was sarcasm

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
“Social norms”

They change about as much and as quickly as Elvis Merzlikins’ statistics…

What social norm do you think has rapidly changed that you feel was better before and when was that? What changed and when, to make you so inconvenienced?

What's the things you want to say/do but society restricts? Some concrete examples please

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I agree with everything else except the Commodore part. I mean, which young player even knows who Mike Commodore is/was? And if they did know him, they would probably know of his hatred towards Babcock. It would be beyond stupid to share anything with him, and I just can't see the combination of 1) knowing Commodore, 2) sharing something with him. One or the other sure, but not both... I think it's somebody else who got the info from a CBJ player and shared it with the Chiclets.

And shame on Mike Commodore for ruining the name Commodore.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Issue is anyone who does that risks black balling themselves.
Let's assume it's Tex (and I just pulled his name I wouldn't think it was him) but Tex doesn't like Babs and he runs his mouth to Commodore.
Best case is Babs gets fired, but everyone knows it was Tex that didn't keep things within the room secret. He has to deal with his GM, President, new coach and team mates that now knows he talks to the media.
Worst case (as mentioned above) is Babs keeps his job and the player is dealing with a coach and organization who will bury him.

I agree with everything else except the Commodore part. I mean, which young player even knows who Mike Commodore is/was? And if they did know him, they would probably know of his hatred towards Babcock. It would be beyond stupid to share anything with him, and I just can't see the combination of 1) knowing Commodore, 2) sharing something with him. One or the other sure, but not both... I think it's somebody else who got the info from a CBJ player and shared it with the Chiclets.

And shame on Mike Commodore for ruining the name Commodore.
Commodore lays a lot of golf with the Jackets Alums (Boll, Dorsett, Nash, etc) so it wouldn't be surprising at all if most of the team aren't really familiar with him.
Note: I'm not sure if Commy is still in the area, but enough Alumni events and Golf that I'm certain most know him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Issue is anyone who does that risks black balling themselves.
Let's assume it's Tex (and I just pulled his name I wouldn't think it was him) but Tex doesn't like Babs and he runs his mouth to Commodore.
Best case is Babs gets fired, but everyone knows it was Tex that didn't keep things within the room secret. He has to deal with his GM, President, new coach and team mates that now knows he talks to the media.
Worst case (as mentioned above) is Babs keeps his job and the player is dealing with a coach and organization who will bury him.
Fortunately, this is only one of the options. A personal hope that is unlikely.
But either way, even if Babs was fired, players would find out who complained, there could be problems, however the player meant it. Which is why, as I wrote below, this is the time to see how much of a captain Boone really is, or if someone else will show that he is the real leader. If not, the Dubois situation could be, as it is said in Slovakia, a walk in the pink park.

dubbyshuffle

Sep 16, 2023
This whole picture gate thing is just so bizarre. Here’s where I’m at…

Assuming it’s true that some of the players were uncomfortable with the picture stuff, Babcock is going to be canned. Not saying that’s right or wrong, but there’s nothing to indicate the coach and players can move onwards and upwards after this affair.

Then what? What do you do so close to the season? I suppose Pascal Vincent steps in, assuming he managed to not get any Babcock stink on him. (Although I wouldn’t hate a move to bring in a feel-good vet coach just to bring some joy to the building. Boudreau actually would be perfect, now that I think about it.)

This also seems like a good time to move on from Jarmo and JD. We need fresh eyes and fresh thinking all the way around. Let’s clean house. Perhaps someone who manages the cap better.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Here is my only take and I am done. I don’t care for opinions and not defending Biz or Babcock, but show me evidence and then I will have take - freaking High School (this rant is mostly aimed at reporters and social media)

I am sick of social media and how it has given voices to the absurd and self serving egomaniacs - I was counting down days for the season to start and looking forward to a better year after last year’s debacle. Now this crap has replaced the excitement and fun with dread and worries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Booooooone 38

Apr 10, 2016
We have no clue what is going on but in the watch what they do not what they say category, I can’t imagine Babs would be in Traverse City if they were expecting to let him go.

Reactions: MAHJ71

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So what happens if this is someone like Fantilli? Who was on SC this off-season.. If its someone like him or Johnson what do you you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad