Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
This team has talent, in fact I think the talent is just as good as the team that beat the Lightning, minus Bob. Coaching them like they aren’t supposed to win produces losers.
Uhh, we’ll have to disagree

Because we are where we were a few years ago in needing a coach to create culture, standards (fun buzzword) and accountability. You can argue who is the right guy for it but the players clearly created a situation where it was hard to go with another players coach
It was an AHL roster half the year, i don’t think a taskmaster is what’s needed for this team

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Because we are where we were a few years ago in needing a coach to create culture, standards (fun buzzword) and accountability. You can argue who is the right guy for it but the players clearly created a situation where it was hard to go with another players coach
Green held a powerpoint presentation about culture and standards when he started with Canucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Uhh, we’ll have to disagree

It was an AHL roster half the year, i don’t think a taskmaster is what’s needed for this team
They were bad to start the year but I think its a lot deeper than results. More to do with preperation and work ethic. You can be bad and work hard. Clearly Jarmo wants to make sure we dont repeat last year and develop horrible habits. Johnson in particular is never afraid to work and learn so it will be interesting to see what Babcock can do with him

Reactions: LJ7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Babcock is the type of coach you bring in to get over the top, how is this the right roster for him? Good grief
How is it ? He has long track record of developing young talent .. plus he’s one of the best X&O coaches there is … “Preparation, X’s and O’s, practice, just like the guys say, there’s nobody better,” McCarty said. “It’s unbelievable.

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Mike Babcock will return to the NHL for the first time since November 19, 2019 to be the Columbus Blue Jackets’ head coach.

Babcock was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs after a 9-10-4 start to the 2019-20 season and three consecutive seasons of losing in the first-round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a talented but inexperienced core. Babcock guided the Detroit Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008 and came just one win shy of a repeat the next season. He has gone 700-418-19 (.608 points percentage) in 1,301 career regular-season games behind the bench with Toronto and Detroit and has taken his teams to the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 12 of his 15 seasons as a coach. He is 90-74 (.549 points percentage) during the tournament in his career

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Have you seen the discussion on Twitter? OMG you would think based off the way people reacting, the jackets were about to hire Joel Quenneville. I know on here I was for hiring him, especially earlier in the process, and understand the apprehension about hiring him I really do, but slow down Twitter.

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
How is it ? He has long track record of developing young talent .. plus he’s one of the best X&O coaches there is … “Preparation, X’s and O’s, practice, just like the guys say, there’s nobody better,” McCarty said. “It’s unbelievable.

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Mike Babcock will return to the NHL for the first time since November 19, 2019 to be the Columbus Blue Jackets’ head coach.

Babcock was fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs after a 9-10-4 start to the 2019-20 season and three consecutive seasons of losing in the first-round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs with a talented but inexperienced core. Babcock guided the Detroit Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008 and came just one win shy of a repeat the next season. He has gone 700-418-19 (.608 points percentage) in 1,301 career regular-season games behind the bench with Toronto and Detroit and has taken his teams to the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 12 of his 15 seasons as a coach. He is 90-74 (.549 points percentage) during the tournament in his career
In an interview with Expressen, Franzen described Babcock as a great coach, “but he’s a terrible person, the worst I ever met. He’s a bully who was attacking people. It could be a cleaner at the arena in Detroit or anybody. He would lay into people without any reason.”

this is not a person I want in the organization

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
This team has talent, in fact I think the talent is just as good as the team that beat the Lightning, minus Bob. Coaching them like they aren’t supposed to win produces losers.

How so? Our center depth is zilch compared to that team and the defense is both raw and bare now

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not that it needs even more confirmation but Friedman and Marek just updated the 32T podcast to confirm Babcock will be next coach.

First 5 minutes if you want to listen

Reactions: hockeywiz542

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
In an interview with Expressen, Franzen described Babcock as a great coach, “but he’s a terrible person, the worst I ever met. He’s a bully who was attacking people. It could be a cleaner at the arena in Detroit or anybody. He would lay into people without any reason.”

this is not a person I want in the organization
And none of these things were ever said when he was coaching them.. I could care less if he’s mean, he’s hired to win hockey games , develop the talent .. besides , people can learn from their mistakes ..

Reactions: MissADD

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Not that it needs even more confirmation but Friedman and Marek just updated the 32T podcast to confirm Babcock will be next coach.

First 5 minutes if you want to listen
The point about Nash playing under Babcock in 2010 is interesting; hadn’t considered that. Obviously, playing under a coach in a single 2-week tournament is much different than numerous consecutive 7-month seasons, but interesting nonetheless.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
And none of these things were ever said when he was coaching them.. I could care less if he’s mean, he’s hired to win hockey games , develop the talent .. besides , people can learn from their mistakes ..
Why would they, so they can be benched by the bully? we’ll agree to disagree, I’m not changing your mind and you’re not changing mine

Reactions: KJ Dangler

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I hope we retain Vincent as well but I wouldn’t blame him if he moves on or if Babcock wants his own guy.
Who could it be, Paul Maclean? :laugh: I just want Haviland to coach wherever the majority of our top D prospects are playing.

Something just hit me, what if this is just a short-term hire. Say like 2 years.
That's what I hope it will be, no more than 2 years. That could be long enough for Babcock to agree before he actually wants to retire, and it would give just enough time for Jarmo to save his job (with a hardass coach like Babs they might think they'll have a decent chance at being a bubble team next year and make the playoffs in 24/25). 3 or more years would require more $ and there's a risk that his personality/coaching approach doesn't age too well.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

Who did he actually develop? He joined a Detroit team that had won 3 cups in their last 8 seasons before him, won a cup in his 3rd year, and then finished progressively worse as his tenure went on until they started missing the playoffs after he left. That doesn't sound like good development. He wasn't able to do much with Toronto either. Not saying he will be bad or good here, but he isn't walking into a Detroit situation where they were already a great team, and we don't have a Matthews or Marner here either.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
That team was loaded with grinders who looked to dump and chase minus Panarin. On the question of talent this team has much more but very little focus and setup.

Dubois-Duchene-Foligno/Wennberg- Dubinsky/Nash at center and Werenski-Jones/Gav-Savard/Murray-Nuti on the backend is a way more “talented” group than what we currently have. It’s not even close. You can’t win with a roster full of top heavy wingers with nothing down the middle or on defense.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Who did he actually develop? He joined a Detroit team that had won 3 cups in their last 8 seasons before him, won a cup in his 3rd year, and then finished progressively worse as his tenure went on until they started missing the playoffs after he left. That doesn't sound like good development. He wasn't able to do much with Toronto either. Not saying he will be bad or good here, but he isn't walking into a Detroit situation where they were already a great team, and we don't have a Matthews or Marner here either.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Matthews , Nylander , Marner …here’s Datsyuk on Babcock….

Datsyuk, of course, played under Babcock for the Red Wings from 2005-2015, winning a Stanley Cup, four Lady Byngs and and three Selke awards under his tenure. He had this to say about Babcock in a 2017 interview with Sports-Express’ Igor Eronko:

The following is an excerpt from Sprots-Express.com:

He invested a lot in me. Most still drew attention to the protection. Made more defensive striker. Especially towards the end of a career. And so - each coach added something of his own. Bowman - on the contrary, allowed to play and improvise. Even to such a young guy like me.

Veterans such as Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Niklas Kronwall have performed to their standards. But it's the continued development of young players such as Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Riley Sheahan, Tomas Jurco and Luke Glendening who have moved the Red Wings near the top of the East.

"We have lots of growth and potential in our group," Babcock said. "That's the key. That's our job, to turn these young kids into good pros

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Dubois-Duchene-Foligno/Wennberg- Dubinsky/Nash at center and Werenski-Jones/Gav-Savard/Murray-Nuti on the backend is a way more “talented” group than what we currently have. It’s not even close. You can’t win with a roster full of top heavy wingers with nothing down the middle or on defense.
Picking some of best players in franchise history in putting them against a youthful team is not a fair fight. This group has the potential be awesome. They just need the right coach. Is Babcock that coach is the question now.

Sdrawkcab321

Oct 12, 2014
Cleveland
Who did any of the other candidates develop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad