Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
If this is true, I intend to try, as JD/JK have pulled this off before... but I don't think he's earned it and I think this would be a bad hire. The trust is in JD/JK, not Babcock.

* * *​

Detroit Babs was just as bad if not worse.
I understand. I was really hoping for Roy but I can live with this hoping he has learned from his past errors. I’m not saying he has but hope springs eternal.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
No, Quenneville would have been the worst possible news. I would have walked away from team over that hiring. This one I am not happy with but one I am willing to give a chance to work.
I never considered Q to be a real candidate. I have never included him as an option. If he’s already eliminated from the jump, then he is not a consideration for whatever news we get. Obviously that would be worse, but as there’s a greater chance of re-hiring Larsen than Q happening, I eliminate it.

You can’t be like that - c’mon
Why not? I refuse to spend the next [insert amount of time] continuing to defend the boneheaded backwards things this team does. This is indefensible.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
If this is true, you gotta admit: we will be getting more attention (scrutiny) from fans and media than if we hired Vincent or most of the other candidates on the list.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I never considered Q to be a real candidate. I have never included him as an option. If he’s already eliminated from the jump, then he is not a consideration for whatever news we get. Obviously that would be worse, but as there’s a greater chance of re-hiring Larsen than Q happening, I eliminate it.

Why not? I refuse to spend the next [insert amount of time] continuing to defend the boneheaded backwards things this team does. This is indefensible.
I am sorry to lose you

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If this is true, you gotta admit: we will be getting more attention (scrutiny) from fans and media than if we hired Vincent or most of the other candidates on the list.
Maybe even as much as Florida got

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It means we’re hiring Babcock. But we have to wait until next month to make it official because he’s still under contract with Toronto. For some reason
I would bet that it isn't about Babs forfeiting the remaining few bucks on his deal, or Toronto wanting compensation to let him out of the last month, but rather, Babs just wants to stick it to the Leafs and make them pay every cent.

He's that kind of guy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only way this hire makes sense is that they think he's learned and will cut out the borderline abusive tactics.

I like the upside on the hire. Babs will not be afraid to hold guys accountable. Scratching whoever he wants to is a big plus in my book.

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
On XM 91, they brought up how Gaudreau would have felt with his contract. It was speculated briefly that they must have consulted him. Think there'd be any input by guys like Johnny or Werenski? I don't know the right answer, philisophically, to if you should do that or not.

Also, we already knew this, but it's very clear they are aiming to win now (I think they are one year too early to make a win-now push, if it means sacrificing futures).

I think it all comes down to whether Babs can change. I am skeptical he can let his ego go. I hope I'm wrong. Obviously the guy can coach... I just hope management and those around him can keep the culture above board.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
IMG_8951.jpeg

Always had a soft spot for you guys as the modern day Whalers. You all deserve better than this.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Sirius XM guys aren’t too keen on Babcock - and that’s with them trying hard to temper their comments.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I’m unsure how coach contracts work, but if a new contract completely replaces the previous contract upon signing, then this makes sense. He was getting $8M a year with the Leafs, and he obviously won’t be getting that in a new deal, so might as well keep that inflated salary for one last month.
How it typically works is the hiring team will agree to pay part of the salary. This happened with Torts and Vancouver, but the Team that has the coach under contract has to agree.

Could also be Toronto’s GM position was vacant until this week, for them to agree.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
A few things:

I am thinking about Dreger’s wording. What does he mean by speculation? Like, someone just wondered out loud if that was the plan, you know, because it would be just like Babcock to hold Toronto’s fee to the fire for every last nickel? Or like, connected people are hearing things? Because there’s a difference. Let’s say Dregs and a friend are kicking back with a couple bourbons and Dreger says “could be Roy since he’s done after this tourney” and his buddy says “yeah we’ll what about this?” Or it could be someone spitting knowledge.

I didn’t like the Torts hire because I didn’t want the shit show. What I got wrong was that CBJ Torts wasn’t a shit show. So while I wouldn’t like this hire, I will withhold judgment in case Babcock doesn’t bring the approach that makes me not want him.

Fans gotta do what fans gotta do. I’m with CBJW that I don’t like good posters (or just about any posters) leaving, but I can understand it.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Makes you wonder how bad things were behind the scenes and with things like practice. Yeah there were injuries but clearly things were bad enough Jarmo thinks he needs to go back to the structured hard ass approach. I just hope he has a Torts/Panarin effect with Gaudreau and not a Babcock/Marner situation. Although I will say Marner needs his ego knocked down but not with the Babcock tactics.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
On XM 91, they brought up how Gaudreau would have felt with his contract. It was speculated briefly that they must have consulted him. Think there'd be any input by guys like Johnny or Werenski? I don't know the right answer, philisophically, to if you should do that or not.
Yes. Werenski said they (the leadership group which I assume Johnny is in) were way more involved this coaching cycle than the Larsen coaching cycle.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Also, we already knew this, but it's very clear they are aiming to win now (I think they are one year too early to make a win-now push, if it means sacrificing futures).

I think it all comes down to whether Babs can change. I am skeptical he can let his ego go. I hope I'm wrong. Obviously the guy can coach... I just hope management and those around him can keep the culture above board.
Your last paragraph hits it spot on. I know some people will cite Torts as a guy who stayed tough but showed evolved after his Vancouver stint, but Torts was a guy who cared about players giving him a basis for reflecting and evolving. I have no belief Babcock has that level of caring, rather he’s just a self-centered, huge ego guy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn’t like the Torts hire because I didn’t want the shit show. What I got wrong was that CBJ Torts wasn’t a shit show. So while I wouldn’t like this hire, I will withhold judgment in case Babcock doesn’t bring the approach that makes me not want him.
This. I desperately want him to have learned better. If he has I will be as overjoyed then as I am depressed and frustrated now. But I simply don't think it's probable. Possible, but not probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad