Prospect Info: CBJ HF-voted Top 20 Prospects 2016

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just to put a ribbon on this, and for the sake of comparison when HF's own list comes out, here is the final ranking of the voted top 20 for this summer.

Those of you who have your own lists, beefs with this one or just comments about the CBJ prospect pool in general, this is probably a good place for them.

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zach Werenski|D
#2 |Pierre-Luc Dubois|LW
#3 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#4 |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#5 |Sonny Milano|LW
#6 |Josh Anderson|RW
#7 |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#8 |Anton Forsberg|G
#9 |Vitaly Abramov|RW
#10 |Paul Bittner|LW
#11 |Keegan Kolesar|RW
#12 |Daniel Zaar|RW
#13 |Dean Kukan|D
#14 |Markus Nutivaara|D
#15 |Vladislav Gavrikov|D
#16 |Elvis Merzlikins|G
#17 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#18 |Andrew Peeke|D
#19 |Veeti Vainio|D
#20 |Markus Hannikainen|LW

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Also, the voting results from the previous two years:

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zachary Werenski|D
#2 |Sonny Milano|LW
#4 |Kerby Rychel|LW
#5 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#6(T) |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#6(T) |Anton Forsberg|G
#8 |Michael Paliotta|D
#9 |Paul Bittner|LW
#10 |William Karlsson|C
#11 |Josh Anderson|RW
#12 |Austin Madaisky|D
#13 |Kevin Stenlund|C
#14 |Ryan Collins|D
#15 |TJ Tynan|C
#16(T) |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#16(T) |Daniel Zaar|RW
#18 |Blake Siebenaler|D
#19 |Olivier Leblanc|D
#20 |Elvis Merzlikins|G

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Alexander Wennberg|C
#2 |Kerby Rychel|LW
#3 |Sonny Milano|LW
#4 |Tim Erixon|D
#5 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#6 |Mike Reilly|D
#7 |Marko Dano|C
#8 |Anton Forsberg|G
#9 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#10 |Oscar Dansk|G
#11 |Simon Hjalmarsson|RW
#12 |Daniel Zaar|RW
#13 |Michael Chaput|C
#14 |Ryan Collins|D
#15 |Josh Anderson|RW
#16 |Jerry D'Amigo|RW
#17 |Markus Soberg|RW
#18 |Thomas Tynan|C
#19 |Elvis Merzlikins|G
#20 |Blake Siebenaler|D

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
When GMJD was handed the keys, I was hoping that he would finally build some depth among blueliners. Okay....looks like that has happened.........but great golly how about just ignoring the center position.

Defense
2014 - 5
2015 - 7
2016 - 8

Center
2014 - 4
2015 - 3
2016 - 0* (DuBois listed as LW, but might be a center)

Maybe some of the centermen still in the system got overlooked (Sedlak?) and will develop, but this forum collectively can't be totally wrong.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
When GMJD was handed the keys, I was hoping that he would finally build some depth among blueliners. Okay....looks like that has happened.........but great golly how about just ignoring the center position.

Defense
2014 - 5
2015 - 7
2016 - 8

Center
2014 - 4
2015 - 3
2016 - 0* (DuBois listed as LW, but might be a center)

Maybe some of the centermen still in the system got overlooked (Sedlak?) and will develop, but this forum collectively can't be totally wrong.

I wouldn't say the center position has been ignored, more so that it hasn't been as glaring of a need as defense has been the past 5 years and hasn't been restocked. We had Johansen as our future #1C just a year ago. Wennberg and Karlsson just graduated as prospects, too. Chaput was there for a while (and let go this summer). But I do see them (the front office) beginning to re-stock the prospect pool at C, and that all starts with Dubois. Hopefully in a year we see another C make this list.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Just to put a ribbon on this, and for the sake of comparison when HF's own list comes out, here is the final ranking of the voted top 20 for this summer.

Those of you who have your own lists, beefs with this one or just comments about the CBJ prospect pool in general, this is probably a good place for them.

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zach Werenski|D
#2 |Pierre-Luc Dubois|LW
#4 |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#5 |Sonny Milano|LW
#6 |Josh Anderson|RW
#7 |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#8 |Anton Forsberg|G
#9 |Vitaly Abramov|RW
#10 |Paul Bittner|LW
#11 |Keegan Kolesar|RW
#12 |Daniel Zaar|RW
#13 |Dean Kukan|D
#14 |Markus Nutivaara|D
#15 |Vladislav Gavrikov|D
#16 |Elvis Merzlikins|G
#17 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#18 |Andrew Peeke|D
#19 |Veeti Vainio|D
#18 |Markus Hannikainen|LW

Peeke and Hannikainen tied?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
By looking at the last three years, I can conclude:
1.) We, the fans, like shiny new toys
2.) Goalies DO take longer to develop
3.) It's rare for any non-goalie that we rank below #6 or maybe #7 to stick in the NHL. (Wild Bill being the most notable outlier)

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
3.) It's rare for any non-goalie that we rank below #6 or maybe #7 to stick in the NHL. (Wild Bill being the most notable outlier)

Interesting observations. My first thought about your comment was that it is a little bit too narrow of a window to fully judge, but essentially I agree.

The thought I had is if you look at the 2014 list on opening night of this year, you should be able to judge that prospect pool then by how many are on NHL rosters (CBJ or otherwise). Not many would be my guess.

Then if you are able to look at the 2016 ranking when the 2018 season opens, I'm guessing you will find a much greater % of players on NHL rosters. That would be a very fair gauge of the draft and develop ability of this administration.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Then if you are able to look at the 2016 ranking when the 2018 season opens, I'm guessing you will find a much greater % of players on NHL rosters. That would be a very fair gauge of the draft and develop ability of this administration.

I didn't expect Rychel and Erixon to bust so hard, so take my view with a grain of salt, but I fully expect we'll get 6 to 8 NHLers out of this batch. Several of them look like absolute locks (i.e. they could stop developing today and still be NHLers).

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

To be fair, those shiny new toys are 1st round picks (the last two, high picks).

It's harder for late round guys who've been in the system working slowly on improving to show they have a higher ceiling which is how many seem to vote. That's pretty much how last year Anderson was at 11 (and 6 this year) even though it's probably pretty safe he ends up having a decent NHL career.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I didn't expect Rychel and Erixon to bust so hard, so take my view with a grain of salt, but I fully expect we'll get 6 to 8 NHLers out of this batch. Several of them look like absolute locks (i.e. they could stop developing today and still be NHLers).

Agreed, The Hockey News had Erixon rated as one of the top 50 prospects for 4 years running. Rychel might still pan out. If Milano doesn't see significant action this year, I will begin to wonder about him. In 10 years it will be interesting to check between Rychel and Milano to see who has more NHL games played. Ditto Rychel and Dano for that matter.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Agreed, The Hockey News had Erixon rated as one of the top 50 prospects for 4 years running. Rychel might still pan out. If Milano doesn't see significant action this year, I will begin to wonder about him. In 10 years it will be interesting to check between Rychel and Milano to see who has more NHL games played. Ditto Rychel and Dano for that matter.

I think Dano will have the most. He'll get a good opportunity wherever he is, whether if he's with the Jets or another team. Rychel on the other hand, not so sure...I feel like this is a make or break season for him. Milano will take a little more time to develop than the other two mainly because he was such a raw talent going into his draft year. I'm not worried about him yet.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If Milano doesn't see significant action this year, I will begin to wonder about him.

You mean for a 20 year old that has played 1 season in the AHL to this point, with a brief taste the previous season? I think we sometimes forget how young and inexperienced these guys are. We are salivating for Bjok who is about a year older and had about the same regular season production has Milano. Milano had a fairly productive postseason, if not quite at the same level.

I know there were some questions about Milano, but it's really not showing up in just raw stats. Perhaps we are being a little too hard on him?

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Top 10 Prospects per THN Yearbook

Werenski
PLD
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Carlsson
Korpisalo
Peeke
Abramov
Bittner

Harrington

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Werenski
PLD
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Carlsson
Korpisalo
Peeke
Abramov
Bittner

Harrington
Yeah, I laughed out loud when I saw Bjorkstrand behind Milano. THN has been very consistent this offseason in basically not having the slightest earthly ****ing clue who Bjorkstrand is or what he's capable of.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Werenski
PLD
Milano
Bjorkstrand
Carlsson
Korpisalo
Peeke
Abramov
Bittner

Harrington

Harrington was 10th? Man that publication has gone downhill. The free information revolution hasn't worked out well for everyone.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
I opened my edition and saw that. A couple thoughts - and this applies to many publications and fans. Everybody assumes recent past performance is an indicator of future results. This certain team has been good, so they will continue to be good. That team has been bad so they will continue to be bad. This player has not done anything yet, so they won't do much.

If you need proof, just take this little test. It is time for pre-season prognostication. Look at every list and compare their playoff participants to who was in last year. Normally, they will slot in no more than 2 teams that did not make it last year. But on average, the playoff field of 16 will change by about 5 or 6 teams. Some years it is actually 7 teams. Yet nobody doing predictions will goes back and analyze how the field changes year over year.

In short, these people writing this stuff are no smarter or better than the casual observer can do. They have access to more information and people connected to the game. But they all pick Auston Matthews to win the Caulder Trophy. ........Groundbreaking

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Harrington was 10th? Man that publication has gone downhill. The free information revolution hasn't worked out well for everyone.

He is further ahead than Peeke (from the list) for example who has not made two NHL rosters so far so I don't know why he should be downplayed, especially when he has not featured so far at all for the Blue Jackets organization.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yeah, I laughed out loud when I saw Bjorkstrand behind Milano. THN has been very consistent this offseason in basically not having the slightest earthly ****ing clue who Bjorkstrand is or what he's capable of.

Maybe I'm the only CBJ fan who hasn't bought into Oliver. He's had some big years in juniors, but regular season in Cleveland last year he was good, not "wow". He was very good in playoffs, better than regular season.
He player 12 NHL games and had 8 points which is good but a very small sample size.
But for everyone to pencil him into the top line or two shows how weak this franchise is with (top line) forwards.
I would assume on most teams he would be on 3rd line and based upon production could be moved up a line.

And prospects are not about just next year - so yes I would hope in 2019 (or whenever down the road) that Milano probably has more upside.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Maybe I'm the only CBJ fan who hasn't bought into Oliver. He's had some big years in juniors, but regular season in Cleveland last year he was good, not "wow". He was very good in playoffs, better than regular season.
He player 12 NHL games and had 8 points which is good but a very small sample size.
But for everyone to pencil him into the top line or two shows how weak this franchise is with (top line) forwards.
I would assume on most teams he would be on 3rd line and based upon production could be moved up a line.

And prospects are not about just next year - so yes I would hope in 2019 (or whenever down the road) that Milano probably has more upside.

No, you are not the only fan. It's just you typically see things as "glass half empty".

But your observation is generally correct. You cannot deny the good. He lit it up in Junior. He lit it up in the AHL playoffs. But in both cases, he needed time to get acclimated. I would guess he will need time to get acclimated to the NHL as well. Yes, 12 games is a small sample size. I worry about his smaller frame handling the rigors of a full NHL season. But I'm confident he will figure it out and after 4+ years of waiting, this 3rd round pick will be "an overnight success".

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

Here's a bit of a different look at it:

The Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins featured Connor Sheary and Bryan Rust in their top 9, flanking the likes of Crosby and Malkin. No one would mistake them for top line forwards, and I can't see many people say that Bjorkstrand isn't better than both of them, both now and in the future. They played where they did because they fit--they added something to the line.

I "pencil" Bjorkstrand onto the "top line" with Wennberg and Saad because they seemed to show immediate chemistry last year, and I rather put pieces together than can be an effective, cohesive whole rather than slap our three best forwards on a line together. Atkinson is probably a better player at this very moment, and more deserving of playing top line minutes, but he's shown a lot of chemistry playing with Dubinsky for what seems like 27 years. Also, the Dubi and Wennberg lines are 1A/1B for me going into the season, anyway.

TL;DR: I put more value in combinations that work over ranking lines 1/2/3/4.

P.S. I also realize that the "C-D-A line" and my frustrations with seeing it in a scoring line role ever run counter to this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad