Confirmed with Link: CBJ extend Boqvist, 3 years 2.6M AAV

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
- must be nice getting paid on draft pedigree. A player without it would not be getting $9m after the season Boqvist had. At the same time, with the potential that some think Boqvist has, it's interesting that he's not betting on himself here either. He opted for term.

- this is an understandable move to make to protect your asset. He'll have one more year RFA year after this contract. You want him signed whether he's staying or going.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
- must be nice getting paid on draft pedigree. A player without it would not be getting $9m after the season Boqvist had. At the same time, with the potential that some think Boqvist has, it's interesting that he's not betting on himself here either. He opted for term.

- this is an understandable move to make to protect your asset. He'll have one more year RFA year after this contract. You want him signed whether he's staying or going.
I really don’t understand why you are so hard and so aggressively tough on a 21 year old small defenseman. You act like he’s 26 and a finished product and can’t improve. His season wasn’t even bad when looking at the whole picture.

His injuries and defensive play are concerns, yes. I have read before that people have questioned his work ethic/conditioning, and that’s also a major red flag. And yes, I am aware he was awful in his own zone last year (as was the entire team), but he showed major strides offensively and he is a great passer and skater. You bring up tools a lot when talking about prospects, and he has them. You can improve defensively with some work.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it insured???

Does this mean Laine is next??
trouble.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really don’t understand why you are so hard and so aggressively tough on a 21 year old small defenseman. You act like he’s 26 and a finished product and can’t improve. His season wasn’t even bad when looking at the whole picture.

His injuries and defensive play are concerns, yes. I have read before that people have questioned his work ethic/conditioning, and that’s also a major red flag. And yes, I am aware he was awful in his own zone last year (as was the entire team), but he showed major strides offensively and he is a great passer and skater. You bring up tools a lot when talking about prospects, and he has them. You can improve defensively with some work.

I think Boqvist is an elite shooter with good offensive instincts but closer to average in skating and passing. I do care about tools and yes, if I rated his tools as highly as you do then I'd be singing a different tune on the player.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
This is probably the AAV I’d have expected with Boqvist. I’ll add that I believe he will have a better career than Bean

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Cheaper than I thought is what comes to mind first. Boqvist is good and the whole team sucks defensively right now. Not excusing his d play because it hasnt been good but how many years did Werenski suck defensively? Boqvist has game changing ability, albeit not as consistent as people would like to see but he's certainly hasn't peaked imo. Good deal, if it doesnt work out he can still be moved plus we retain his rights.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Wow I kinda noticed this but didn't think it was so extreme.

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions with a 12 game sample but this more or less fits with what I've seen. Boqvist has not been a good puckmover or distributor. He's a guy that jumps into the play and snipes, and does a poor job with just about everything else.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So he should play forward with those zone entries?

IDK if this is sarcasm, but, I have been saying this, and I mean it. Offensively, while I think his skating/agility needs work, I think his shooting is A+ and have no real issues with his passing. There’s other negative aspects to his game that are probably negatively impacting his apparent passing effectiveness, although I also know those graphs and heat charts can not be trusted.

As a very small guy myself, I know you cannot sacrifice intensity in any way, while trying to be effective on the ice, especially as a defenseman in the NHL.

My D ranking in order of who I would keep at this point goes: 1) Bean 2) Boqvist 3)Peeke 4) Gavrikov

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

The very tweet you opened this thread with lists him as a 23 y.o.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad