Confirmed with Link: CBJ Extend Andrew Peeke 3 years 2.75M AAV

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Thrown to the wolves is not a position to succeed. What are you talking about?
I'd buy that argument if he was u21 player. Peeke was a 23/24 year old with prior experience playing against men, who got the opportunity to play good minutes with good D partners. You can't call that getting thrown to wolves.

Reactions: thebus88

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'd buy that argument if he was u21 player. Peeke was a 23/24 year old with prior experience playing against men, who got the opportunity to play good minutes with good D partners. You can't call that getting thrown to wolves.
It sounds like you have no concept of Peeke's career up to this point. Yes he played against "men" compared to Canadian Juniors but college kids are still just college kids. Three years in college against 19-23 year olds is hardly "men" and far from the talent/skill level he'd see in the pros. Going into last season he'd had just 36 games of AHL experience and 33 games of NHL experience. On top of that he'd played a total of just 18 games in 2020-2021 during the pandemic season because he was stuck on the taxi squad getting almost no game experience in Cleveland or Columbus.

So he came into 2021-2022 having little pro experience and basically not played in over a season...and you consider being thrown on to the first pairing to be "put in a position to succeed"? I was amazed he handled it as well as he did.

Yes I am a Peeke honk. I have no illusions he's a top pairing RHD but I am not sure there is anyone else on the current roster that is currently more qualified for the position. I think his ceiling is a solid second pairing stay at home RHD which would be a steal at <$3 Million AAV.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It sounds like you have no concept of Peeke's career up to this point. Yes he played against "men" compared to Canadian Juniors but college kids are still just college kids. Three years in college against 19-23 year olds is hardly "men" and far from the talent/skill level he'd see in the pros. Going into last season he'd had just 36 games of AHL experience and 33 games of NHL experience. On top of that he'd played a total of just 18 games in 2020-2021 during the pandemic season because he was stuck on the taxi squad getting almost no game experience in Cleveland or Columbus.

So he came into 2021-2022 having little pro experience and basically not played in over a season...and you consider being thrown on to the first pairing to be "put in a position to succeed"? I was amazed he handled it as well as he did.
Yup , not sure how people are failing to grasp basically he has played one full season , thrust into being a top line defenseman. Pretty sure he ended up in top 4 in blocked shots in NHL and 12 in the league in hits . His 2nd half of the season he got his footing , and played top line minutes

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
OK, let's get a little crazy. You know I am going to just throw this out there because I do think its a fair comp.

Peeke 2021-2022 season
23-24 years old
Previous pro experience: 36 AHL games and 33 NHL games
Stat line: 82 Games: 2 Goals, 15 Points, -14 (playing against the team's best most nights)

Savard 2013-2014 season
23-24 years old
Previous pro experience: 176 AHL games and 35 NHL games
Stat line: 70 Games, 5 Goals, 15 Points, +2 (did not play top pairing role)

Can I see the same trajectory for Peeke as Savard? Sure. I don't know if it will happen but I have no reason to think it can't. Peeke has plenty to prove but I think it would be insanely silly to write him off after his rookie year simply because he's not a dynamic offensively skilled defenseman who treaded water in a role he wasn't necessarily prepared for.

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You know I am going to just throw this out there because I do think its a fair comp.

Peeke 2021-2022 season
23-24 years old
Previous pro experience: 36 AHL games and 33 NHL games
Stat line: 82 Games: 2 Goals, 15 Points, -14 (playing against the team's best most nights)

Savard 2013-2014 season
23-24 years old
Previous pro experience: 176 AHL games and 35 NHL games
Stat line: 70 Games, 5 Goals, 15 Points, +2 (did not play top pairing role)

Can I see the same trajectory for Peeke as Savard? Sure. I don't know if it will happen but I have no reason to think it can't. Peeke has plenty to prove but I think it would be insanely silly to write him off after his rookie year simply because he's not a dynamic offensively skilled defenseman who treaded water in a role he wasn't necessarily prepared for.
I mean, 4th in league in blocked shots , and 12th in league in hits , basically as a rookie , probably a really good comparison you threw out there . Savard at one point good skate pretty well

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Getting crowded on the blue line.

One might assume the blue line in 2024 or 2025 will feature Werenski, Boqvist, now Peeke apparently, Gudbranson (lol), and Gavrikov if he re-signs. Not a lot of room for Bean, Blankenburg, Jiricek, Mateychuk, and Ceulemans.
Jarmo has said multiple times he does it on purpose. D are always in high demand and having too many is a good problem to have.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I would place a major bet that if Liljegren played 21+ minutes a night next to Reilly he would have gotten destroyed in matchups. He was the one put in a position to be sheltered and succeed

Reactions: Doggy and CBJx614

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I think Peeke is moving along just how the Jackets want. A lot of people were saying that the season before last , the Jackets were ruining his development by not playing him. I think it was just the opposite. That Columbus team was a mess, being coached by a guy that wanted out. There was no benefit to playing him. Sending him to the Monsters wasn't much better considering how AHL teams were filling rosters with lesser talent. Keeping him up in Columbus was best for him. Practicing with NHL guys that season was probably better than playing in the AHL. Plus he didn't get beat on physically, which probably helped him to play 82 games last year. They wouldn't have put him on top pair if they didn't think he was capable. They didn't put him there because they had to, more because thats where they wanted him.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
He is a 6’3” right D entering his 24 year old season. He has played over 100 NHL games and doesn’t have an injury concern (hoping that doesn’t jinx him). I think he broke a finger a few years ago but that is all I really recall. He is not a top pair guy, but he is growing into a defensive tough guy 2nd pair type. This seems like the right contract for him. If we need to move him in a couple of years, he is tradeable with this contract.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I'm fine with the signing. I just think this is setting up a move, there are too many NHL defenseman on the roster. I'm curious to see if Jarmo might be up to something. Or, he may extend Gavrikov and give Jiricek, Mateychuk and Ceulemans time to develop and not rush them. I'm always good for a trade, but we'll see what happens.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That is a lot for RFA who was put in a position to succeed last season and played like a 3rd pair Dman.

Liljegren was better and got 1,4m 2y. That is what Peeke should have got.

He wasn’t put into a position to succeed.

This is regular 3rd pair money moving forward

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't give a shit what that f***ing hack has to say about anything anymore. He's been getting worse instead of better.
I don't usually get all accusatory of writers having an agenda but Dom has crossed that line. I think Jarmo must have slept with his wife or something because he clearly has a dislike for the CBJ or is just a whore for clickbait (or both).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't usually get all accusatory of writers having an agenda but Dom has crossed that line. I think Jarmo must have slept with his wife or something because he clearly has a dislike for the CBJ or is just a whore for clickbait (or both).
I don't give a shit what that f***ing hack has to sa about anything anymore. He's been getting worse instead of better.

It's not that complicated. The Jackets as a team happened to do very poorly by the shot- based metrics that Dom specializes in, and that makes all of our players look bad in his model. I'm not saying his model is right here, just that there is no need to go around psychologizing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1. I think Peeke has high end off puck ability and I really enjoy watching him. I doubt he'll underperform that contract. And as others have mentioned, if he even makes small improvements to his passing game then we have a very valuable piece.

2. It still strikes me as a bit high for such an inexperienced player. There doesn't seem to be any RFA bargaining premium for the team here. Same with Boqvist and Bean. I think those guys are closer to being $1m players and Peeke closer to $2m, when you take into account their bargaining status. I don't think it compares well with, for example, what the Kings just did with Durzi and Anderson's contracts. They're at least as good and just signed for half as much.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's not that complicated. The Jackets as a team happened to do very poorly by the shot- based metrics that Dom specializes in, and that makes all of our players look bad in his model. I'm not saying his model is right here, just that there is no need to go around psychologizing.
I'd be prepared to forgive him if he was even marginally wiling to attempt acknowledging any weaknesses whatsoever in his modeling, but as the years have gone he's become pathologically incapable of same and would rather make snarky hot takes. So, frankly, f*** that guy. He's arguably just as bad as the "numbers suck, only MY eye test matters" types, only moreso because he pushes claims that his subjective nonsense is somehow objectively better.

He's gone from being an advanced stats developer who recognizes the issues to being one of the bandwagoners who just pushes buttons, and in the process is dragging down the quality of the field significantly. Statistics, when used with the low quality data we have, are supposed to INFORM decisions, not REPLACE them.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Agreed.

"Advanced stats" absolutists are just obsessed with their models, and every time their stats doesn't match with reality means that reality has to be wrong. That's why they despise even things like WAR, as it doesn't match with their virtual perception of the reality. Therefore they use xWAR instead, since that obviously agrees with their holy prophet Corsi (peace be upon him), since xWAR is based on Corsi, not reality.

Edit: "guys" -> "absolutists"

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Agreed.

"Advanced stats" guys are just obsessed with their models, and every time their stats doesn't match with reality means that reality has to be wrong. That's why they despise even things like WAR, as it doesn't match with their virtual perception of the reality. Therefore they use xWAR instead, since that obviously agrees with their holy prophet Corsi (peace be upon him), since xWAR is based on Corsi, not reality.
That's really only the worst of them. Folks worth their salt recognize that we don't have nearly enough measurables in hockey to do comprehensive work with and so are continually refining and updating their models where possible to try to cover the weak spots, or in some cases spearheading efforts to create cooperative public sources of better data (a.k.a. why Corey Sznadjer is worthy of much respect). That's what makes them informative rather than conclusive or predictive. The reason why I've gotten so frustrated with Dom is because he used to be working on an informative model but then abruptly pivoted and started pretending it's also strongly predictive, when IIRC it is mildly predictive... but no moreso than any other random biased pundit.

Reactions: Halberdier and LJ7

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That's really only the worst of them. Folks worth their salt recognize that we don't have nearly enough measurables in hockey to do comprehensive work with and so are continually refining and updating their models where possible to try to cover the weak spots, or in some cases spearheading efforts to create cooperative public sources of better data (a.k.a. why Corey Sznadjer is worthy of much respect). That's what makes them informative rather than conclusive or predictive. The reason why I've gotten so frustrated with Dom is because he used to be working on an informative model but then abruptly pivoted and started pretending it's also strongly predictive, when IIRC it is mildly predictive... but no moreso than any other random biased pundit.
Yeah, I should have used "advanced stats absolutists" instead of "advanced stats guys". But I mean people that even after seasons of good or bad results of a player or team claims, that since "underlying stats" "show" the opposite, that opposite must be the truth and reality was just disorted by "luck". Like luck could be consistent, which it obviously can't.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He’s just not a good player, imo.

Fascinating how Peeke is given so much praise just from his willingness to play physical, with people seemingly ignoring his actual effectiveness. Especially in relation to how defensive ability and effort is almost seen as a negative to most other guys.

At what point do we acknowledge that the “defensive defenseman” on a POOR defensive team deserve to be seen as a reason for the team being so poor defensively??

Reactions: DarkandStormy

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
He’s just not a good player, imo.

Fascinating how Peeke is given so much praise just from his willingness to play physical, with people seemingly ignoring his actual effectiveness. Especially in relation to how defensive ability and effort is almost seen as a negative to most other guys.

At what point do we acknowledge that the “defensive defenseman” on a POOR defensive team deserve to be seen as a reason for the team being so poor defensively??
Looks like we get another 4 years of you blasting this player. Thankfully, those in the know (coaches, management, teammates, media) think differently.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Looks like we get another 4 years of you blasting this player. Thankfully, those in the know (coaches, management, teammates, media) think differently.
Forgive me if I think the “defensive defensemen” of a team that is terrible defensively deserve blame for that fact.

Reactions: FromChaos22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad