Confirmed with Link: CBJ claims Taylor Chorney

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Taylor Chorney is a pretty prototypical #7. Not outright horrid, but doesn't bring much to the table. He played surprisingly well in his first season in Washington, but went downhill after that. Okay size, but isn't going to overpower anyone. Pretty good skating, but isn't about to jump up and lead a rush up ice or be recognized for his ability to walk the blueline. Not going to put up many points. Not likely to make up for any deficiencies in his partner, either.

Side note:

He has played 1 game in the last 7 weeks. That’s between both the AHL and NHL level. Gulp.
That 1 game was the result of the Capitals fathers & mentors trip, in which every player on the roster got into a game.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
You squire these players because yo think they can be of value to your team. None of them have been.
None of those guys are first-pair defensemen. If they were, they wouldn't be on waivers. I don't know what you were expecting from someone like Jordan Leopold, but if it was anything more than "be better than Frederic St-Denis," you were always going to be disappointed. They're marginal improvements on the guys below them. That's all they're supposed to be. You get what you pay for.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You squire these players because yo think they can be of value to your team. None of them have been.

Either you have a short memory, which I can easily forgive, or you are purposefully ignoring that some of those players actually did have value to the team just to be negative, which I won't. The history of the team won't be written by those players, but they all have a purpose at a given point in time.

I'm sure you can find legitimate reasons to speak ill of Jarmo's work here, but the occasional addition of depth players off waivers isn't one of them.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
And to think, there was a thread on the main board just the other day, entitled "Taylor Chorney legacy". I guess now we know. :sarcasm:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Either you have a short memory, which I can easily forgive, or you are purposefully ignoring that some of those players actually did have value to the team just to be negative, which I won't. The history of the team won't be written by those players, but they all have a purpose at a given point in time.

I'm sure you can find legitimate reasons to speak ill of Jarmo's work here, but the occasional addition of depth players off waivers isn't one of them.
Nope. All were players whose talent you can find anywhere in the AHL, they added no value. No point of picking them up.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

If they added value to the team they would still be here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If they added value to the team they would still be here.

That's not how it works.

This wasn't hard to find. I'm going to assume the "value" is self-explanatory.

Blue Jackets claim D Connauton off waivers from Stars - Article - TSN

With a rash of injuries to their rearguard, Columbus Blue Jackets have claimed defenceman Kevin Connauton off waivers from the Dallas Stars... All of defencemen Fedor Tyutin (lower body), Ryan Murray (knee) and Cody Goloubef (knee) are currently on injured reserve for the Blue Jackets.

Last edited:

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Jarmo is incapable of picking up a Dman who turns out better than a 7D.

schultz
connauton
leopold
falk
quincey
chorney

Lol

Since, you want to nitpick and include low level trades and waiver wire pickups...

Jarmo also traded for Seth Jones. He drafted Zach Werenski in the 1st round. Markus Nutivaara was drafted in the 7th round... Shoot, Gabriel Carlsson and Vladislav Gavrikov could become everyday NHL'ers in the next 2 years as well and they were drafted just 2.5 years ago...

mean, what do we expect out of a waiver wire pickup or trading just a 5th round pick for a player? Your not going to get too many solid every day D-men for the next 4 years from a waiver wire claim or trading a 5th round pick for a player that is about 34 years old...

But, Nick Schultz went on to play 2 more entire seasons of 80, 81 games for the Philadelphia Flyers in 2014-2015- So, that looks like he was a #6 D-man for that team in the next 2 years that he wasn't with us. Not bad.

Connauton was actually really hot for a while and a pretty valuable waiver wire pickup for us. I know many fans were surprised we got him off waivers- In 54 games in 2014-2015- He had 9 goals, 19 points, +1 rating. Next season, he played in 55 NHL games with us and Arizona (picked up off waivers), had 17 points. Granted, it's with Arizona- But, he has 12 points in 51 NHL games this season, so he's still getting Top 6 D-man playing time in the NHL still. He's played close to 200 NHL games in the last 4 years- Not bad for nothing more than a #7 D-man.

We acquired Kyle Quincey for Dalton Prout. Quincey was just slated to be a #7 D-man for us anyways, but we got rid of Prout for him. Prout's playing in the AHL now anyways.

What's the harm in picking up Taylor Chorney? He's signed for 825,000 this year alone and he'll be a UFA this off-season. We have Kukan, Nutivaara being out for at least the next month. You said just about a week or two ago that Ryan Murray was more fragile than the average NHL'er, his body can't handle the grind of the NHL, so heck we might as well prepare for him being injured anyways. Jack Johnson's a UFA this off-season, we might be able to obtain a forward or a 1st round draft pick, so he might be traded here in the next 4 days. You also mentioned that Ryan Murray and Zach Werenski to an extent lack "heart".. So, 2 top 6 D-men out for the next month.. Jack Johnson could be traded in 4 days- That sounds like we could be missing at least 3 D-men, 4 if Murray gets hurt with ZW who happens to lack heart..

So, let's dig into Cleveland- Brady Austin is just on AHL contract, 15 points in 50 games, has only played 5 NHL games in his career.. Gabriel Carlsson has been scratched the last 2 games and has been pretty much injured the last month, only able to play 2-3 games since coming back, probably can't at this point. Ryan Collins has 3 points in 33 games, -18 rating, I'll pass. Siebenaler- 6 points in 23 games this year, -6 rating, I'll also pass. Cameron Gaunce, at the age of nearly 28 has played in fewer NHL games in his career than his age- 27 games. I could understand Gaunce being a #7 up here in times of a pinch, but I'll take Taylor over him playing on the top 6 roster...

We're kind of in a bind right now. If you have better solutions, let us know.

Reactions: Viqsi

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Since, you want to nitpick and include low level trades and waiver wire pickups...

Jarmo also traded for Seth Jones. He drafted Zach Werenski in the 1st round. Markus Nutivaara was drafted in the 7th round... Shoot, Gabriel Carlsson and Vladislav Gavrikov could become everyday NHL'ers in the next 2 years as well and they were drafted just 2.5 years ago...

mean, what do we expect out of a waiver wire pickup or trading just a 5th round pick for a player? Your not going to get too many solid every day D-men for the next 4 years from a waiver wire claim or trading a 5th round pick for a player that is about 34 years old...

But, Nick Schultz went on to play 2 more entire seasons of 80, 81 games for the Philadelphia Flyers in 2014-2015- So, that looks like he was a #6 D-man for that team in the next 2 years that he wasn't with us. Not bad.

Connauton was actually really hot for a while and a pretty valuable waiver wire pickup for us. I know many fans were surprised we got him off waivers- In 54 games in 2014-2015- He had 9 goals, 19 points, +1 rating. Next season, he played in 55 NHL games with us and Arizona (picked up off waivers), had 17 points. Granted, it's with Arizona- But, he has 12 points in 51 NHL games this season, so he's still getting Top 6 D-man playing time in the NHL still. He's played close to 200 NHL games in the last 4 years- Not bad for nothing more than a #7 D-man.

We acquired Kyle Quincey for Dalton Prout. Quincey was just slated to be a #7 D-man for us anyways, but we got rid of Prout for him. Prout's playing in the AHL now anyways.

What's the harm in picking up Taylor Chorney? He's signed for 825,000 this year alone and he'll be a UFA this off-season. We have Kukan, Nutivaara being out for at least the next month. You said just about a week or two ago that Ryan Murray was more fragile than the average NHL'er, his body can't handle the grind of the NHL, so heck we might as well prepare for him being injured anyways. Jack Johnson's a UFA this off-season, we might be able to obtain a forward or a 1st round draft pick, so he might be traded here in the next 4 days. You also mentioned that Ryan Murray and Zach Werenski to an extent lack "heart".. So, 2 top 6 D-men out for the next month.. Jack Johnson could be traded in 4 days- That sounds like we could be missing at least 3 D-men, 4 if Murray gets hurt with ZW who happens to lack heart..

So, let's dig into Cleveland- Brady Austin is just on AHL contract, 15 points in 50 games, has only played 5 NHL games in his career.. Gabriel Carlsson has been scratched the last 2 games and has been pretty much injured the last month, only able to play 2-3 games since coming back, probably can't at this point. Ryan Collins has 3 points in 33 games, -18 rating, I'll pass. Siebenaler- 6 points in 23 games this year, -6 rating, I'll also pass. Cameron Gaunce, at the age of nearly 28 has played in fewer NHL games in his career than his age- 27 games. I could understand Gaunce being a #7 up here in times of a pinch, but I'll take Taylor over him playing on the top 6 roster...

We're kind of in a bind right now. If you have better solutions, let us know.
Wasn’t talking about the draft, or Jones trade. Just waiver moves and TDL moves. Thanks for the response though... /s

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
None of those guys are here? Jarmo has not made a single good waiver/TDL pickup..
You should never expect much from a waiver pick up so.. And we've never been in a position to actually warrant a TDL pickup. The team always blows a tire 1/2 through the season or never looks like it can actually make any noise.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
You should never expect much from a waiver pick up so.. And we've never been in a position to actually warrant a TDL pickup. The team always blows a tire 1/2 through the season or never looks like it can actually make any noise.
I disagree, you get them because you think they could be better on your team. If not it’s a waste of money and a roster spot imo.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I disagree, you get them because you think they could be better on your team. If not it’s a waste of money and a roster spot imo.
Eh, if Nuttivara, Murray and Kukan are healthy, they never pick him up to begin with. You pick him up because you don't want to give up assets in a trade just because you have someone go down for a few weeks. So you say f*** it, let's give this guy a chance, it's not gonna hurt anything.

It's all very situational. 13k or whatever it is isn't a big waste of money, especially when his contract and salary cap don't make a dent into our plans.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Eh, if Nuttivara, Murray and Kukan are healthy, they never pick him up to begin with. You pick him up because you don't want to give up assets in a trade just because you have someone go down for a few weeks. So you say **** it, let's give this guy a chance, it's not gonna hurt anything.

It's all very situational. 13k or whatever it is isn't a big waste of money, especially when his contract and salary cap don't make a dent into our plans.
I guess I don’t see the point of getting a player that isn’t done no anything in the NHL, when you can play your prospects (Carlsson) and give them experience.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I guess I don’t see the point of getting a player that isn’t done no anything in the NHL, when you can play your prospects (Carlsson) and give them experience.
My guess it Jarmo doesn't think Carlsson is ready, so might as well let someone like Chorney or Harrington be waiver fodder going back and forth to allow Carlsson to get consistent playing time. Just like how Milano either needs top minutes in Cleveland or a solidified spot in the top 9. Playing him in limited minutes on the 4th or rotating him with Hannikainen/Dalpe/Schroeder/whoever isn't helping his development any.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

In my post (It was long), I mentioned that Carlsson has been scratched the last two games for Cleveland, and previously had just returned back from an injury- So he might not be available for a call-up. Even JacketsWoodchuck stated that it seems likely he's injured if he's scratched 2 times in a row.

Taylor Chorney hasn't done much in the NHL, but neither has any of the D-men in Cleveland. He's probably a better option that what is currently available in Cleveland honestly. I don't see too many prospects (like you suggest) to call up and play that are probably better than Chorney.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad