CBJ, CAR, MTL, TOR, PIT - which of these teams misses?

Which one of these teams will miss the playoffs?

• Total voters

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
TOR - 60 GP - 76 p (3rd in Atlantic)
MTL - 61 GP - 73 p (1st wildcard)
PIT - 61 GP - 71 p (3rd in Metro)
CAR - 61 GP - 70 p (2nd wildcard)
CBJ - 59 GP - 69 p (out)

An argument can be made for any one of these teams.

CBJ has just added Duchene - and looks like they are making a run.

CAR is one of the best teams this year (2019).

PIT has Crosby/Malkin/Kessel.

MTL has Price and is scoring lots of goals.

TOR has elite players but hasn't been as strong the last month.

But they're not all going to make it. Who do you think MISSES the playoffs??

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm going to be a risk taker and say not Toronto.

Before they added Duchene, I would have said Columbus easily, but how we gotta wait and see if that helps them, or not. Can't see it not, but you never know.

Montreal plays a lot of their games on the road to end out the season if I'm not mistaken

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I said Montreal but it could be Carolina.
They're both good teams and deserve a spot, though.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Toronto, they have been god awful.

Come on they won't miss. At worse they'll be in a wild card spot but unless they go on to lose the majority of the rest of the season (in a 2014 Leafs-esque collapse) they will be fine. The teams below them would have to basically win all of their games AND the Leafs would have to lose most of their to miss. Even playing at .500 hockey (which they have been doing over their poor stretch) they likely don't lose their divisional spot.

As for the thread, I said the Jackets. Deadline isn't done yet and I think Carolina is going to do something as well. Plus they are legit and have been red hot. If McStarter can keep playing acceptably then they will make it in.

Jackets to me, I think that the players on the roster that matter (Bob for example) are already mentally checked out. Buying I think is a misread on the room. The team has struggled, seems some are frustrated or straight up hate the coach, and there is a massive distraction of these guys leaving as UFA's. And now, there is the pressure to actually start winning and playing well by the fans thanks to Management. There is already a level of pressure with not having won a round in forever and just trying to make the playoffs. Even more now when they are expected to go beyond that.

I see it backfiring.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
With their current rosters, I'll say Carolina.
If Columbus does in fact trade Panarin and/or Bob, then I'd say them for sure.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Honestly I don't know who will be out I doubt that Toronto will fall that far. Pittsburgh Columbus Carolina or Montreal I think are all in play though..

Here's hoping the Canes get in for the first time in this decade.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
My guesses are TBL, TOR, BOS, WSH, NYI, PIT nail down the 6 divisional spots.

Toss up after that.

I’m putting CBJ in after the Duchene deal provided they hang on to Panarin (which I think they will now).

MTL and CAR for the last wild card spot could go either way. Voted Carolina misses out of hope Montreal gets in but it wouldn’t surprise me if CAR sneaks in.

DrRad

Sep 30, 2017
If the Sabres making the playoffs is in one of the options, then Tampa missing the playoffs should be an option too.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
CBJ - 15 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 2 games in hand; 1 behind
CAR - 14 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 1 ahead
MTL - 12 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 8 home games; 4 ahead
PIT - 12 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 10 home games; 2 ahead
TOR - 10 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 7 ahead

CBJ - 5 games against Car/Mtl/Pit (3 with Pit) - 2 home/3 away
CAR - 4 games against Cbj/Mtl/Pit - 2 home/2 away
MTL - 3 games against Cbj/Car/Pit - 1 home/2 away
PIT - 6 games against Cbj/Car/Mtl (3 with Cbj) - 3 home/4 away

CBJ 2 games in hand is huge. Has a feel like it's coming down to MTL or CAR on the outside looking in. Both have the least opportunities regarding games against remaining teams on the bubble. MTL has fewer home games and the pressure of the media. CAR has pressure of 9 years w/o the playoffs.

I'm going to say MTL only because of the number of road games remaining. However, if either CBJ or PIT manages a sweep of the other, I feel the loser misses the playoffs. Out of curiosity, Caps are by no means a lock and have 1 less point than TOR with the same record over the last 10. Why were they excluded?

Reactions: Canadienna

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
CBJ - 15 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 2 games in hand; 1 behind
CAR - 14 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 1 ahead
MTL - 12 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 8 home games; 4 ahead
PIT - 12 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 10 home games; 2 ahead
TOR - 10 remaining against teams in or on bubble; 11 home games; 7 ahead

CBJ - 5 games against Car/Mtl/Pit (3 with Pit) - 2 home/3 away
CAR - 4 games against Cbj/Mtl/Pit - 2 home/2 away
MTL - 3 games against Cbj/Car/Pit - 1 home/2 away
PIT - 6 games against Cbj/Car/Mtl (3 with Cbj) - 3 home/4 away

CBJ 2 games in hand is huge. Has a feel like it's coming down to MTL or CAR on the outside looking in. Both have the least opportunities regarding games against remaining teams on the bubble. MTL has fewer home games and the pressure of the media. CAR has pressure of 9 years w/o the playoffs.

I'm going to say MTL only because of the number of road games remaining. However, if either CBJ or PIT manages a sweep of the other, I feel the loser misses the playoffs. Out of curiosity, Caps are by no means a lock and have 1 less point than TOR with the same record over the last 10. Why were they excluded?

Nice breakdown.

I just picked the #3 spot in both divisions, the wildcards, and the only one close to them (cbj).

There is an option in there if you think WSH will fall out.

Reactions: Ahoy there

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Went with Carolina, though I really wouldn't mind if the Habs didn't make it. We still have more building to do in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad