CBJ Board Summer '18 Prospect Rankings: #4

Who's the best prospect of these 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think Tarasov is a fine prospect. I just have no idea how MHL goalie stats compare to other leagues. Seems like he wasn't the only drafted goalie in that league with great stats.

Add Stenlund.
but then you have to factor in how he missed the entire season before and his great stats look even more impressive

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
but then you have to factor in how he missed the entire season before and his great stats look even more impressive
Sure, that's a fair point. Still ignorant about the competition in the MHL and what comparable NHL goalies have accomplished in that league. Curious too about how highly Kirill Ustimenko (taken 6 picks before Tarasov, had similar numbers this year in the same league) is thought of by the Flyers.

Also, does anyone know where Tarasov will be playing next year?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
nor have I been high on the Swiss league’s level of competition.

Ok, I was gonna bring this up in 1 of the last threads, attempting to show why we should give these guys more credit for playing (very well) at the pro level in Europe and Russia.

How would people rank the leagues? Hockeydb gives you an "idea" of things.

-NHL- # -KHL- -AHL- # -SweHL- # -SMliiga- -NCAA- # -NLA- -DEL- # -OHL- -WHL- -QMJHL- -ECHL-

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
The thing with Gavrikov is he is exactly what we're missing on D, so combined with the fact that's the the closest thing to a finished product on the list, he's (hopefully) ready to come over after this season and should be able to thrown right into the lineup puts him above Elvis for me.

Elvis is good, but he has to outplay Korpi and honestly I think Korpi is a little underrated on here. He needs more games played if he is gonna get better and he won't get them playing behind Bob. It's extremely hard to play consistently as a backup.

Riddle me this.

How can a guy who has posted a 3.10 GAA and a .901 save percentage over his last 32 games played being underrated?...

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Sure, that's a fair point. Still ignorant about the competition in the MHL and what comparable NHL goalies have accomplished in that league. Curious too about how highly Kirill Ustimenko (taken 6 picks before Tarasov, had similar numbers this year in the same league) is thought of by the Flyers.

Also, does anyone know where Tarasov will be playing next year?

Tarasov left dev camp early to be with his MHL team as they started pre-season. I’d suspect he will be starting out in the MHL with a chance to move up to the KHL.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Riddle me this.

How can a guy who has posted a 3.10 GAA and a .901 save percentage over his last 32 games played being underrated?...
Because he's shown he can be a lot better.

I've played goalie since I was about 8and hockey since I was 6(i'm 27 now) and I can tell you from personal experience, it is extremely hard to get any consistency going when you only play a game or two in a row. I can't imagine being stuck behind a guy that's one of, if not the leagues best.

They may practice a lot but games and practices are extremely different. They don't prepare you for facing your own nerves, I would get butterflies before and throughout the game. The only time they would go away was when I was actively Playing and as soon as the puck goes the other way they would come back.

Playing goalie is mostly a mental game. You can't let yourself get distracted in your own head while the puck is on the otherside of the ice, and you have to be alert for the full 60 minutes with whistles being the only break you get. And if you start thinking too much while you're playing you're screwed because playing goalie is pretty entirely dependant on being in shape and trusting the reflexes that you've trained.

Almost every single player I've let use my gear to play goalie never wants to do it again because of how demanding it is, physically and mentally.

I've also skated out my entire life as a kid in house league and continued to play roller hockey as a adult and it's not even remotely close when it comes to nerves. Basically as soon as you get the puck on your stick and make a good play or two they would go away as you are most likely actively playing the entire time you're on the ice. Not much time to get lost in your thoughts while you're skating around.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Riddle me this.

To simplify the last post that is 100% correct about goalie consistency...

These 32 games happened over HOW LONG of a time?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
To simplify the last post that is 100% correct about goalie consistency...

These 32 games happened over HOW LONG of a time?

Okay then, let’s take a look at his stats from last season if a span of two seasons is too long for you, Bus.

3.32 GAA.
0.897 save percentage.
18 games.

———————————

Khudobin: 2.56 GAA, .913 save percentage.
McElhinney: 2.14 GAA, .934 save percentage.
Saros: 2.45 GAA, .925 save percentage.
Neuvirth: 2.60 GAA, .915 save percentage.
Subban: 2.68 GAA, .910 save percentage.
Miller: 2.35 GAA, .928 save percentage.
Dell: 2.64 GAA, .914 save percentage.
Kuemper: 2.10 gaa, .932 save percentage (LAK)

Anton Khudobin, Curtis McElhinney, Juuse Saros, Michael Neuvirth, Malcom Subban, Ryan Miller, Aaron Dell, and Darcy Kuemper sure didn’t have a problem with getting inconsistent playing time (all under 30 games minus Khudobin).. they still performed. And all performed admirably. Period. I don’t think ‘inconsistent playing time’ is a valid excuse. Just my honest opinion. Korpisalo has to and must perform better than the way he performed last year. No if’s ands or buts about it. @WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Okay then, let’s take a look at his stats from last season if a span of two seasons is too long for you, Bus.

3.32 GAA.
0.897 save percentage.
18 games.

———————————

Khudobin: 2.56 GAA, .913 save percentage.
McElhinney: 2.14 GAA, .934 save percentage.
Saros: 2.45 GAA, .925 save percentage.
Neuvirth: 2.60 GAA, .915 save percentage.
Subban: 2.68 GAA, .910 save percentage.
Miller: 2.35 GAA, .928 save percentage.
Dell: 2.64 GAA, .914 save percentage.
Kuemper: 2.10 gaa, .932 save percentage (LAK)

Anton Khudobin, Curtis McElhinney, Juuse Saros, Michael Neuvirth, Malcom Subban, Ryan Miller, Aaron Dell, and Darcy Kuemper sure didn’t have a problem with getting inconsistent playing time (all under 30 games minus Khudobin).. they still performed. And all performed admirably. Period. I don’t think ‘inconsistent playing time’ is a valid excuse. Just my honest opinion. Korpisalo has to and must perform better than the way he performed last year. No if’s ands or buts about it. @WubbaLubbaDubDub
Lol half of those goalies you listed have been legitimate starters before in their career.

Malcolm Subban played for the same team that made Dansk look good.

And one of those players nickname is literally Mcbackup everywhere he goes.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Lol half of those goalies you listed have been legitimate starters before in their career.

Malcolm Subban played for the same team that made Dansk look good.

And one of those players nickname is literally Mcbackup everywhere he goes.

I could careless about if they were ‘legitimate starters’ in the past.. key word: past. You entirely missed my point. They all received inconsistent playing time (for the most part) as did Korpisalo and still were head and shoulders better than Korpi. Korpi was easily a bottom 5 backup goalie in the league. Korpi was Mike Condon/Chad Johnson bad.

But I’m gonna end this debate/argument because this thread must stay on topic and Korpi/none of the guys I listed above aren’t prospects anymore.. and the whole point of this thread is to talk about prospects.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could careless about if they were ‘legitimate starters’ in the past.. key word: past. You entirely missed my point. They all received inconsistent playing time (for the most part) as did Korpisalo and still were head and shoulders better than Korpi. Korpi was easily a bottom 5 backup goalie in the league. Korpi was Mike Condon/Chad Johnson bad.

But I’m gonna end this debate/argument because this thread must stay on topic and Korpi/none of the guys I listed above aren’t prospects anymore.. and the whole point of this thread is to talk about prospects.
So you could care-less that players as a starter got more consistent ice time in one season than a goalie in his entire career and don't see how that might affect ones ability to be an effective backup? Got it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1