CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part XI

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Apparently T Mobile is not offering the MLS season pass this year for the season. I guess that means I’m not watching the Crew this year. I refuse to add another paid subscription service to maybe get to watch 1 game a month on tv.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Apparently T Mobile is not offering the MLS season pass this year for the season. I guess that means I’m not watching the Crew this year. I refuse to add another paid subscription service to maybe get to watch 1 game a month on tv.
I assume you are referring to Apple TV+. While I totally get it (We don't subscribe to Peacock, Paramount, HBO, Disney+, etc), there is a lot of quality programming on Apple TV+ that makes it worth subscribing to. We find more quality original content that interests us on Apple TV+ than Amazon and Netflix. TBH, if Amazon Prime TV wasn't included with Amazon Prime I wouldn't bother subscribing to it either.

Does this mean you have not watched Ted Lasso?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I assume you are referring to Apple TV+. While I totally get it (We don't subscribe to Peacock, Paramount, HBO, Disney+, etc), there is a lot of quality programming on Apple TV+ that makes it worth subscribing to. We find more quality original content that interests us on Apple TV+ than Amazon and Netflix. TBH, if Amazon Prime TV wasn't included with Amazon Prime I wouldn't bother subscribing to it either.

Does this mean you have not watched Ted Lasso?
I have AppleTV+. I enjoy that and lots of shows on it like Ted Lasso and For All Mankind but I won't pay the extra subscription fee for MLS games.

Reactions: Doggy

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
OSU women’s team season goes down in flames despite leading by 16 at one point. Terrible defense and Duke completely shut down Sheldon

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Screenshot 2024-04-01 7.57.05 AM.png

this is what comedy looks like

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021

Any Browns 1.0 fans here?

There’s something about the sound of the crowd at those old stadiums that I don’t think will ever be replicated

One of the NFL’s all time great uni’s then too

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

Any Browns 1.0 fans here?

There’s something about the sound of the crowd at those old stadiums that I don’t think will ever be replicated

One of the NFL’s all time great uni’s then too

Yep. I was there, section 61 row 3 seat 5. That pile of people on the fence after the second one, I was in there somewhere. One of the great memories I have from those days. The current stadium doesn't even come close to the atmosphere back then in that dump of a stadium. I miss it still.

I also remember Metcalf's runback in '89 against the Bills in the playoffs. Our first year as season ticket holders, section 59 that year, on the other side of the goal post. He was running away from us and I remember the hole opening up for him to run through, and he was gone.

Some some really good games back then.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
The North Carolina pro pickleball stop has been going on this week. For today (right now) they have added in some “celebrity” pickleball. It’s Rod Brind’Amour and Justin Williams vs Cam Ward and former UNC basketball star Tyler Hansborough. Clearly all four of these guys play.

Rod is built...absolute beast. THAT is not a "dad bod"

Seth Jarvis and Kotkaniemi followed them up. Kotkaniemi has game.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yep. I was there, section 61 row 3 seat 5. That pile of people on the fence after the second one, I was in there somewhere. One of the great memories I have from those days. The current stadium doesn't even come close to the atmosphere back then in that dump of a stadium. I miss it still.

I also remember Metcalf's runback in '89 against the Bills in the playoffs. Our first year as season ticket holders, section 59 that year, on the other side of the goal post. He was running away from us and I remember the hole opening up for him to run through, and he was gone.

Some some really good games back then.
I probably saw 7-10 Indians games at Municipal. The 4th of July game of whatever year was a huge crowd. The others were in the 3-5000 range. Cobwebs were under the seats right near the dugout.

Went to the Bengals/Browns game in 1985. Browns fans were incredibly rude to us and the sinks in the mens room doubled as urinals. Just as it should have been:laugh:

A marvelous dump of a stadium-I was sorry to see it go. Have walked by the new one a few times after some hockey games but have never been in it.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I probably saw 7-10 Indians games at Municipal. The 4th of July game of whatever year was a huge crowd. The others were in the 3-5000 range. Cobwebs were under the seats right near the dugout.

Went to the Bengals/Browns game in 1985. Browns fans were incredibly rude to us and the sinks in the mens room doubled as urinals. Just as it should have been:laugh:

A marvelous dump of a stadium-I was sorry to see it go. Have walked by the new one a few times after some hockey games but have never been in it.
I used to go to the July 4th games also, back when fireworks nights were only 3 times a year instead of every weekend like now. Bat day was always another big draw, wish I would have saved one from back then. I don't think they could pull off giving real wooden bats to the general public now days.
Also went to the '81 allstar game there. We paid 8 bucks for tickets and actually bought them at the box office before a game we went to. We had to wait until the strike ended before going, I think the game was in August that year. I still have the program from that game.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The Caitlin Clark effect is in full mode. She is expected to be drafted number one by the Indiana WNBA team. ESPN broadcasts the WNBA games and they've announced that of the 40 games they're going to air, 36 will be of Indiana. Also many of the teams around the league are moving their games from smaller venues to the large arenas in their city. Clark will be the most important player the WNBA has ever had and if the other players don't get jealous and start a catfight, they'll all benefit.

PS...this is a lesson for Columbus. If Indiana can become a national story, then there's no reason Columbus can't. If they could just draft that player that moves the needle. If you remember, Columbus had a chance at Sidney Crosby, but the Jackets did what they always do, start winning meaningless games down the stretch and blow any chance they had to get a potential generational player.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The Caitlin Clark effect is in full mode. She is expected to be drafted number one by the Indiana WNBA team. ESPN broadcasts the WNBA games and they've announced that of the 40 games they're going to air, 36 will be of Indiana. Also many of the teams around the league are moving their games from smaller venues to the large arenas in their city. Clark will be the most important player the WNBA has ever had and if the other players don't get jealous and start a catfight, they'll all benefit.

PS...this is a lesson for Columbus. If Indiana can become a national story, then there's no reason Columbus can't. If they could just draft that player that moves the needle. If you remember, Columbus had a chance at Sidney Crosby, but the Jackets did what they always do, start winning meaningless games down the stretch and blow any chance they had to get a potential generational player.
Yes, being a Jackets fan sucks, but we don't need to make things up. That is not at all what happened in the Crosby draft. First of all, there was no season that year, so no stretch of meaningless wins. The Rangers and Sabres got just as unlucky as us on that one, as those four teams all had the same odds for 1OA.

Wikipedia has a better explanation:

Lottery[edit]​

The lottery was held on July 22, the same day that the new CBA was approved. The top-rated prospect in this draft was Sidney Crosby, and it was widely assumed that he would be the first overall pick by whichever team won the lottery, so it became known colloquially as the 'Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes'.[2][3]

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons (2001-02, 02-03 and 03-04), and first overall picks in the last four drafts (2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004). Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.[1]

Three balls

Two balls

One ball

This produced a total of 48 lottery balls. As a result, teams with three balls had a 6.3% chance of winning the lottery, two balls 4.2%, and one ball 2.1%.[1] The Pittsburgh Penguins won the lottery and therefore the first overall pick. Further drawing of team names was used to determine the order of the remaining picks.[1]

Reactions: Viqsi

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yes, being a Jackets fan sucks, but we don't need to make things up. That is not at all what happened in the Crosby draft. First of all, there was no season that year, so no stretch of meaningless wins. The Rangers and Sabres got just as unlucky as us on that one, as those four teams all had the same odds for 1OA.

Wikipedia has a better explanation:
I'm not making things up. I've lived through this. The selection process for the Crosby draft was based on the previous years results. It's not the first time by a long shot this has happened to the Jackets. The point of my comment was to suggest it may not be size of the market that keeps us so irrelevant and anonymous. There are other factors at play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad