CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
C'mon Pete you missed the obviously forgotten :sarcasm:. Except for LaQuinton Ross the Bucks have no other offensive threat. If Matta was a hockey coach he's be perfect for the Jackets-no offense all D.:laugh:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
C'mon Pete you missed the obviously forgotten :sarcasm:. Except for LaQuinton Ross the Bucks have no other offensive threat. If Matta was a hockey coach he's be perfect for the Jackets-no offense all D.:laugh:

OSU sucks..... freaking Dayton beats them, but few expected OSU to go further than the first round anyway..

The bracket buster of the day is North Dakota State beating Oklahoma.... unreal...

2 million brackets got busted today on that one.... and I'm one! Damn...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
BjP72hZCQAAx3qj.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Screams insecure school that can't handle a little success.

No, it screams "headline writer with a sense of humor taking a well-deserved shot at pretentious, self-important Big State U."! I attended OSU, off and on, for eight years and lived in the campus area from '67 to '88 and I never heard the "THE" emphasized in the entire time. That is a recent, thoroughly silly affectation, most likely started by NFL players announcing their school affiliation on broadcasts. UD deserves that final poke at their larger neighbor, having played them tough and making all the big shots at the end. I doubt they'll go much farther, but I didn't really believe they'd go as far as they did in '67, either.

Good Luck, Flyers!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No, it screams "headline writer with a sense of humor taking a well-deserved shot at pretentious, self-important Big State U."! I attended OSU, off and on, for eight years and lived in the campus area from '67 to '88 and I never heard the "THE" emphasized in the entire time. That is a recent, thoroughly silly affectation, most likely started by NFL players announcing their school affiliation on broadcasts. UD deserves that final poke at their larger neighbor, having played them tough and making all the big shots at the end. I doubt they'll go much farther, but I didn't really believe they'd go as far as they did in '67, either.

Good Luck, Flyers!

Marketing thing, actually. Focus on "The" was added by school officials starting in the mid-late 80s.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Marketing thing, actually. Focus on "The" was added by school officials starting in the mid-late 80s.
I think the fan obsession with emphasizing it has to do with some anti-Buckeye types trying to emphasize Oklahoma State or Oregon State any time "OSU" comes up. I'm not sure which is the more absurd sideshow - that original mishegaas, or the subsequent Bucknuts attempt to upstage it. :shakehead

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
i think absurd is that the university trademarked THE

Actually it's a pretty shrewd economic move. A big money maker for the university. Others are probably jealous they didn't think of it first. This country has a love/hate relationship with Ohio State. You either love them even after they lose to Dayton or Clemson or hate them with every fiber of your being. This board is no different.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I thought it went back to a feud with Ohio University in the '90's. Didn't OU try to sue Ohio State for using "Ohio" on merchandise? OSU started using THE to stick it to OU? Maybe that's way off.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I thought it went back to a feud with Ohio University in the '90's. Didn't OU try to sue Ohio State for using "Ohio" on merchandise? OSU started using THE to stick it to OU? Maybe that's way off.

That's what I thought as well.

When people say "THE Ohio State University", it just sounds so petty and arrogant to me. That Dayton paper headline hits the nail on the head.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Don't forget about the O-H I-O chant.

To me, it looks like a lot of scarlet- and gray-clad closet Bobcats fans.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Hell we were here first- OU should be THE Ohio Uiversity.

But kudos to the headline writer.

RickS

Sep 19, 2005
My diploma from OU says The Ohio University. My diploma from Capital Univ. Law School says The CULS. "The" is not unique, only the pretentious pronunciation from OSU. And, I am an OSU fan, which I was well before heading to college.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I love that headline. Casual Buckeye fan and I support the teams, but it makes me cringe everytime i hear someone say THE Ohio State University... that place needs to get over itself.

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
I love that headline. Casual Buckeye fan and I support the teams, but it makes me cringe everytime i hear someone say THE Ohio State University... that place needs to get over itself.

I believe you mean to say that place needs to THE get over itself.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Urban Meyer to recruits: come play "in a large city that really has no professional sports team"

Another reason to hate The ****ing Ohio state university.

Last question
Why should Georgia’s elite 2015 prospects consider Ohio State? “You get a premium education with the opportunity to go compete for a national championship in a large city that really has no professional sports team. There’s a lot to be offered up here.”

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2014...r-reflects-on-his-career-with-atlanta-braves/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad