Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets sign Gustav Nyquist (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
In a salary cap world, this is better value than Panarin. Less than half of the cap hit too.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hes going to be 30 before this season starts... the history for small non physical speed bugs who turn 30 is not very pretty at all. losing a step would make this guy almost useless

he sucked it up in his contract year to produce but that same effort wasnt there the last couple years and he was a 40 point guy

ville leino was actually a lot bigger than nyqvist and younger when buffalo signed him but I think these 2 guys will end up the same way with buyouts very early in their career

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Good luck, Gus. He had some flashes of brilliance with team Teal but not enough to make a big impact, plus we have other players we need to lock up.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
hes going to be 30 before this season starts... the history for small non physical speed bugs who turn 30 is not very pretty at all. losing a step would make this guy almost useless

he sucked it up in his contract year to produce but that same effort wasnt there the last couple years and he was a 40 point guy

ville leino was actually a lot bigger than nyqvist and younger when buffalo signed him but I think these 2 guys will end up the same way with buyouts very early in their career

Non-physical players age better than physical players, no problem there. And Nyquist is not that fast really, more of a shifty guy with good awareness. If he's a 40 pt guy for four years that's not bad by UFA standards. There's a lot less risk in this deal than there is in Zuccarello's 5 year deal, though Zucc is a better player when healthy.

Also, no idea why you'd compare him to Leino. Leino had like one good year, and one good playoff. His second best career season, IIRC, was less than 30 pts. Nyquist is consistently 40+.

Reactions: Dumais

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
If a dozen points p.a. are around 1mil, then it's alright. I hope he finds his groove and pots 60-70, which would make this really nice. He's a hell of a character. Everyone knows he'll give it all he's got.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Yikes. No way the Sharks could have matched that.

Interesting seeing Nyquist get .5 mil less for the same term as Timo.

Timo was significantly better than Nyquist in the playoffs.

Nyquist was a free agent Timo was an Rfa. You usually end up paying a little (lot) more for UFA. Though lately that hasn't always been the case.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
He's a nice get, just dont see a competitive/playoff team. Young guys might take a step, Nyquist could fit right in, 1 of 4 goalies could be a worthy starter, could make a big tdl deal; but it seems unlikely to be a legitimate cup contender.

Hope this move doesn't put CBJ in the : "not good enough to make the playoffs" and "not bad enough to get a top 3 pick in the draft".

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Always go long on the Children of Detroit my dudes.

Still waiting for that huge Tomas Jurco rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad