Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets sign Gustav Nyquist (4 years, $5.5M AAV)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a pretty good deal, honestly though he should come in with more terms or at least north of 6 if he was signing something this short. Enjoy him Columbus, really smart player, he is also pretty good leaking out in transition something Detroit's d was only capable of hitting him on once in a blue moon later in his career, but saw some of that in San Jose. My guess is the Jackets D will take advantage of this ability.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Good signing. If we weren't still bottoming out, I'd have wanted him back at that. A smart, shifty playmaker who can score. Size pushes him to perimeter, but if he can be lined up with some big guys who make space for him, he can be v dangerous. When he can get involved more centrally, he's v good in tight areas. Probably good for 50 point pace if he gets top 2 lines time and some intelligent PP usage.

As long as you don't need him to be THE man too often, he'll be good value

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's a good signing. AAV is about right and the years make it seem like he was older than he actually is. True, he'll be 30 when the season starts, but as long as the tires stay on for 2-3 years it should be fine. He'll fill a role. Glad we didn't overpay. So yeah, welcome to Gus.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Also for what it is worth I would find a way to play him with Anderson. He likes big space eaters that drive the net and he is an adapt playmaker that would find him a lot for his heavy shots. I think they make sense together. Nyquist can get knocked off the puck, that has always been his problem. His best marriages line wise were with Larkin and Franzen. Players that knock defenses back on their heels in different ways. But I thought you really could see it with Meier and Couture in the playoffs he fits well as the playmaking guy and he can shift around and break defensive coverage well once the space is there but has trouble creating the initial separation outside of running good lanes at times in transition.

I always thought he could have been slightly more. Ultimately he doesn't drive a line, but if you do find him the right guys that drive a high pace or drag coverage away through a heavy game he should have a lot of success. He has been pretty good the last two years, he wasn't rewarded right for the way he was playing two years ago and was last season in my opinion. Will be curious to watch him there, he is an easy guy to root for on and off the ice for me, so hoping he is very successful in Columbus.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good signing. If we weren't still bottoming out, I'd have wanted him back at that. A smart, shifty playmaker who can score. Size pushes him to perimeter, but if he can be lined up with some big guys who make space for him, he can be v dangerous. When he can get involved more centrally, he's v good in tight areas. Probably good for 50 point pace if he gets top 2 lines time and some intelligent PP usage.

As long as you don't need him to be THE man too often, he'll be good value

Also for what it is worth I would find a way to play him with Anderson. He likes big space eaters that drive the net and he is an adapt playmaker that would find him a lot for his heavy shots. I think they make sense together. Nyquist can get knocked off the puck, that has always been his problem. His best marriages line wise were with Larkin and Franzen. Players that knock defenses back on their heels in different ways. But I thought you really could see it with Meier and Couture in the playoffs he fits well as the playmaking guy and he can shift around and break defensive coverage well once the space is there but has trouble creating the initial separation outside of running good lanes at times in transition.

I always thought he could have been slightly more. Ultimately he doesn't drive a line, but if you do find him the right guys that drive a high pace or drag coverage away through a heavy game he should have a lot of success. He has been pretty good the last two years, he wasn't rewarded right for the way he was playing two years ago and was last season in my opinion. Will be curious to watch him there, he is an easy guy to root for on and off the ice for me, so hoping he is very successful in Columbus.

Thanks so much for the info. We've got plenty of big guys he can complement.

Nyquist - Dubois - Anderson :naughty:

Reactions: Dumais

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
National pundits are basically saying Nyquist was the only forward willing to be overpaid to go to Columbus and that he isn't worth this money. It's like they either don't know the player at all or they just want to continue the narrative that Columbus is a terrible place to play a no one wants to play in the city. This is an underrated signing and I expect him to continue to produce 20-25G and 45-50P which is a bargain for $5.5M/per.

Comparable contracts include:
Jakob Silverberg - never topped 50 points but has been a very good playoff performer - one year younger than Nyquist with an additional year on contract length
Mats Zuccarello - Nyquist is 2 years younger and signed to one year less term - similar production
Mikael Backlund - similar production and same age - longer term (1 more years) and signed a year ago

This contract seems perfectly in line on dollars with a great term. I don't get why people are bashing this in the national media.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
That's a good deal if hes a 60 point player like last year. If he goes back to his 40-45 point self than it's a bad deal but only for 3 extra years. Good move to keep it at 4 years only.

It's a good deal

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
National pundits are basically saying Nyquist was the only forward willing to be overpaid to go to Columbus and that he isn't worth this money. It's like they either don't know the player at all or they just want to continue the narrative that Columbus is a terrible place to play a no one wants to play in the city. This is an underrated signing and I expect him to continue to produce 20-25G and 45-50P which is a bargain for $5.5M/per.

Comparable contracts include:
Jakob Silverberg - never topped 50 points but has been a very good playoff performer - one year younger than Nyquist with an additional year on contract length
Mats Zuccarello - Nyquist is 2 years younger and signed to one year less term - similar production
Mikael Backlund - similar production and same age - longer term (1 more years) and signed a year ago

This contract seems perfectly in line on dollars with a great term. I don't get why people are bashing this in the national media.

Agreed on all points.

Great job Jarmo

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
hes going to be 30 before this season starts... the history for small non physical speed bugs who turn 30 is not very pretty at all. losing a step would make this guy almost useless

he sucked it up in his contract year to produce but that same effort wasnt there the last couple years and he was a 40 point guy

ville leino was actually a lot bigger than nyqvist and younger when buffalo signed him but I think these 2 guys will end up the same way with buyouts very early in their career

This post will age very poorly

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Ya it’s not that interesting if you understand UFA va RFA.

Good to know that I shouldn’t be interested in seeing a player I rank as significantly better than Nyquist being locked up for $.5 more than Nyquist.

How much do you get paid for guarding the gate to all things interesting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad