Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets sign F Kent Johnson to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Classy town.

Hope Kent J is treated better by CBJ fans. He's a good kid and a very, VERY talented player.

Considering that story sounds made up, he'll probably be treated well just like people are normally treated in Columbus.

The Jackets have brought in Michigan players before (like Werenski). Heck Kent isn't even the first Johnson from Michigan they've had.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Considering that story sounds made up, he'll probably be treated well just like people are normally treated in Columbus.

The Jackets have brought in Michigan players before (like Werenski). Heck Kent isn't even the first Johnson from Michigan they've had.
In the 90s that story should have been more common. It's been 20 years since it was that bad.

Reactions: CBJx614 and ck26

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon

I know. Been to Columbus. Central Ohio is cool. I have no doubt that on a Michigan/Ohio State football weekend, emotions run high. But f***, I mean, like, how much saliva do people even have???

Kent Johnson has YouTube skills. And CBJ fans will love this guy. They'll be frustrated with him too. But mostly they'll love him.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Isn't Kent Johnson from Vancouver? I would be more worried about whether he has pictures in Canucks pajamas than whether the Columbus locals have been spitting on his car window, but the salivas does worry me a little bit, and it might inch him closer to not signing a contract with the Jackets after RFA.

• Haha
Reactions: LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
but the salivas does worry me a little bit, and it might inch him closer to not signing a contract with the Jackets after RFA.

Are you serious? This is a thing now? I've never heard of this saliva thing before.

All I know of Michigan players in Columbus is Jack Johnson who was a folk hero for CBJ and Zach Werenski who was the one who stopped the exodus by extending long term.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Are you serious? This is a thing now? I've never heard of this saliva thing before.

All I know of Michigan players in Columbus is Jack Johnson who was a folk hero for CBJ and Zach Werenski who was the one who stopped the exodus by extending long term.
Not only that, Werenski is a Michigan boy, through and through. If anyone was gonna be "hated" for being from Michigan, it would be him.

If KJ ends up being "hated" it'll be because he didn't live up to his potential

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I live and work in central ohio, and not a fan of college sports. In my experience, buckeye fans don't really care enough to do anything like that. Unless the car is parked within walking distances to the game and is covered in anti-osu stickers. But from what I know, the Michigan fans who openly display their support of the Wolverines in cbus never had anything happen to them. Maybe an argument/debate or two with a buckeye fan, but they're probably asking for it.

And if you're someone who gets their information about a city, from an online hockey forum; good luck.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I’ve lived here for over 15 years and can think of one time this happened. And she had Michigan Wolverines stuff plastered all over her vehicle and parked on campus for a couple days during football season. Not that this makes it ok. It was someone I was dating!

Plenty of people from Michigan live here, my friend. lol. It is not as you describe. But it’s a topic about the Blue Jackets on HFBoards. It’s like a bat signal to everyone who wants to shit on the city.

Pretty safe to say I don’t believe your story as it is written. Several layers of spit, huh? I don’t doubt that you had a bad experience. But one bad experience doesn’t mean the whole place stinks. It’s a lovely town.

EDIT: In regards to this signing, it was either Jeff Rimer (play-by-play) or Jody Shelley last week on 97.1 and whoever it was confirmed what has been said in this thread - he will get minutes at the NHL level this season so they can see where he is in his development. I think it was Shelley. Either way.

With OSU being so dominant generally and specifically against the Wolverines over the past few year, it's not as bad as it used to be.

But I'll say that when I moved here as an 11 year old kid (1982) from Miami, FL and had a U of M winter coat, I got into at least one "no F YOU!" situation a year and I can remember 2 fights off the top of my head. As recently as 10 years ago while out walking my dog, I refused to chant back to an "O-H" prompt while walking by a party during the Michigan game and had several of the party patrons - drunk dudes - yell at me as I passed. That was in Westerville, not on campus.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
With OSU being so dominant generally and specifically against the Wolverines over the past few year, it's not as bad as it used to be.

But I'll say that when I moved here as an 11 year old kid (1982) from Miami, FL and had a U of M winter coat, I got into at least one "no F YOU!" situation a year and I can remember 2 fights off the top of my head. As recently as 10 years ago while out walking my dog, I refused to chant back to an "O-H" prompt while walking by a party during the Michigan game and had several of the party patrons - drunk dudes - yell at me as I passed. That was in Westerville, not on campus.
Not defending their actions or saying they were right. But you put those individuals in any other circumstance and the outcome you experienced is likely. Kids will find something to make fun of another kid, and drunk dudes (especially in their 20-30s) will cause drama.

just saying.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Not defending their actions or saying they were right. But you put those individuals in any other circumstance and the outcome you experienced is likely. Kids will find something to make fun of another kid, and drunk dudes (especially in their 20-30s) will cause drama.

just saying.

I disagree, reason being that it's never happened to me in any *other* context around here. In addition to being a U of M fan, I was a Mets fan and wore Mets hats and shirts all the time - never had an issue. Never had an issue when I wore Dolphins stuff (though I admittedly didn't wear that very often). Etc. The only time I've ever had people get in my face was related to OSU and specifically me not being down with OSU. And that one time when a guy's dog went after mine and then he got in my face because my dog was a "pit bull", but I just chalked that up to "old man crazy".

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I disagree, reason being that it's never happened to me in any *other* context around here. In addition to being a U of M fan, I was a Mets fan and wore Mets hats and shirts all the time - never had an issue. Never had an issue when I wore Dolphins stuff (though I admittedly didn't wear that very often). Etc. The only time I've ever had people get in my face was related to OSU and specifically me not being down with OSU. And that one time when a guy's dog went after mine and then he got in my face because my dog was a "pit bull", but I just chalked that up to "old man crazy".
That's unbelievable to me. And these people weren't drunk or on something? That's crazy if that's happening to you. I have relatives, family friends and neighbors who are openly Wolverine fans and none of them have ever been attacked for it. One dude even wears his jacket and walks with a cane, went to the local bar and gave everyone shit for this years loss. Everyone took it in good spirits lol.

As for not being "down" with OSU, what does that even mean? going to games or something?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Was happy when we drafted him but after watching him play a few times this season I agree with those that say he is going to need some time. Just didn’t see the craftiness and explosive skating I was hoping for.

Then again I wanted Sillinger to be sent back and he’s had a solid rookie year for an 18 year old so what do I know!

Either way happy to have him in the org as no doubt we can use more high end skill among other areas.

Reactions: YP44 and majormajor

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Classy town.

Hope Kent J is treated better by CBJ fans. He's a good kid and a very, VERY talented player.
I am sure Cbus fans will crap all over a guy who went to UM the same as they have done for that ne’er-do-well Zach Werenski.

Is this what we're talking about in a thread about prospect signing an ELC?

Last edited:

Rydev

Jan 14, 2022
Very crafty with the puck. Reminds me a bit of Mitch Marner. Loved watching him during the few Michigan games I caught.

Columbus will be very happy with him Im sure and I could see him doing well early on for them. The playstyle of the league is starting to favor that of the players coming up, so quicker transitions going forward will probably be the norm

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is how Werenski dresses in Columbus and nobody spits on him. We just think that Josh Anderson has better taste.

1649794809247.png

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So KJ looked fair enough in his debut. Decent play, a couple moments that would have been amazing if they were finished, generally showing that potential for something special.

His +1 on the other hand, who didn't even merit his own thread, had one of the best blueliner debuts I've ever seen in union blue. Third star of the game, even. Anyone else see that coming? Anyone at all? :)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So KJ looked fair enough in his debut. Decent play, a couple moments that would have been amazing if they were finished, generally showing that potential for something special.

His +1 on the other hand, who didn't even merit his own thread, had one of the best blueliner debuts I've ever seen in union blue. Third star of the game, even. Anyone else see that coming? Anyone at all? :)

No and if you had suggested to me last week, before or after the signing, that this Nick Blankenburg kid was going to make his debut and be one of our better players, I would have told you to lay off the sauce.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Dumais

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yea yea Nick Blackbeanburger. Tell me about how Kent Johnson played. Kent the man Johnson. Think he has the tools to play center?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yea yea Nick Blackbeanburger. Tell me about how Kent Johnson played. Kent the man Johnson. Think he has the tools to play center?

I imagine he might make a good center but that's years down the road. The kid hasn't filled out yet so center is out of the question in the near term.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad