Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets re-sign Dean Kukan (2 years, $1.65M AAV)

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not too familiar with this man. How good is he pegged to be?
Prior to this year I would have said he was a bottom pairing guy.

This year before his injury he actually was playing more like a top-4. Unfortunately he is behind Werenski and Gavrikov on the depth chart.

He is defensively sound and a pretty good skater. Capable of 20-24 minutes a night. Good option to have on the bottom pairing.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Kukan is a good puck-moving defenseman who fills in when needed and does a good job. I think he played in most if not all of the Jackets' playoff games last year.

Reactions: hn777

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The real question to me is.. Ryan Murray gets traded?

Considering the roles and cap hits, he would seem to be the odd man out.

Reactions: hn777

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The real question to me is.. Ryan Murray gets traded?

Considering the roles and cap hits, he would seem to be the odd man out.
The thing with Murray is, to quote Portzline on the Athletic, "when he is healthy, he is too good to trade and when he is hurt he can't be traded."

If they trade Murray, the return will be very underwhelming compared to the impact he has when he is healthy.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The thing with Murray is, to quote Portzline on the Athletic, "when he is healthy, he is too good to trade and when he is hurt he can't be traded."

If they trade Murray, the return will be very underwhelming compared to the impact he has when he is healthy.
Even when he is healthy, what is his impact now? Bottom pairing D. You can be the best one in the world but that still doesn't move the needle all that much. That's not the guy you want to keep for 4.6 mil p/y.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Even when he is healthy, what is his impact now? Bottom pairing D. That's not the guy you want to keep for 4.6 mil p/y.
He slots on the bottom pairing (if Columbus has one) but that is because Werenski-Jones and Gavrikov-Savard are set pairs.

When healthy he plays like a #2/3.

Kekalainen over the summer said being able to have Murray that far down the depth chart is "pure luxury."

If the Jackets trade him and he is able to maintain some semblance of health, he will make the other team's GM look pretty smart.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He slots on the bottom pairing (if Columbus has one) but that is because Werenski-Jones and Gavrikov-Savard are set pairs.

When healthy he plays like a #2/3.

Kekalainen over the summer said being able to have Murray that far down the depth chart is "pure luxury."

If the Jackets trade him and he is able to maintain some semblance of health, he will make the other team's GM look pretty smart.
Well yeah, that's exactly the point. He is a luxury to Jackets but other teams might be willing to give up something substantial to get him. Keeping him while trading someone like Harrington for a 4th rounder purely to get rid of the bodies doesn't make sense.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well yeah, that's exactly the point. He is a luxury to Jackets but other teams might be willing to give up something substantial to get him. Keeping him while trading someone like Harrington for a 4th rounder purely to get rid of the bodies doesn't make sense.
True but I don't think Murray returns much. Maybe a 2nd rounder or so.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
True but I don't think Murray returns much. Maybe a 2nd rounder or so.
If Faulk can return Edmundsson and Bokk in a somewhat a similar situation, Murray should be worth at least a decent young player/B grade prospect. Devils are probably going to be timid now as far as giving up assets to trade for players but if somebody offered Murray for, let's say Bratt, this summer, I think they would have done it.

If there is a team with a similar mindset this summer, looking to improve immediately and not afraid to give up something to get something, I think Jackets can work out a very decent hockey trade.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
having 6 good defencemen isn't an issue really

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Prior to this year I would have said he was a bottom pairing guy.

This year before his injury he actually was playing more like a top-4. Unfortunately he is behind Werenski and Gavrikov on the depth chart.

He is defensively sound and a pretty good skater. Capable of 20-24 minutes a night. Good option to have on the bottom pairing.

Sounds like Justin Holl

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Yes, but having 9 is.
Peeke isn't there yet. Harry isn't good. Nuti is 7th right now and he isn't playing as good as last year so wouldn't mind sitting him, if he does get back to his good play then it would be an issue.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Peeke isn't there yet. Harry isn't good. Nuti is 7th right now and he isn't playing as good as last year so wouldn't mind sitting him, if he does get back to his good play then it would be an issue.
Well you can look at it like that but the issue remains that there is no space for Murray long term. Hence he isn't going to resign with the Jackets. So he will be gone in 1.5 years anyway. So you can trade him for a decent value at some point, for some crappy value next deadline or lose him for nothing. All 3 options are definitely possible but the first one would seem smartest to me if there are any takers. And I think there should be, he is pretty young, isn't really overpaid and his extension won't break the bank either.

Not to mention that if everyone is healthy, going into next season carrying 8 Ds on the roster isn't the best thing ever either.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
For the 7th, 8th and 9th players. For the team? It's not an issue at all. In fact it's a strength. You need 8 good dmen to go far in the NHL playoffs.
Do you believe Jackets can go deep in the playoffs? This season or the next one? I would say that's a bit of a stretch. They maybe could, however, in 3-4 years and getting a decent piece for Murray would help with that.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Well you can look at it like that but the issue remains that there is no space for Murray long term. Hence he isn't going to resign with the Jackets. So he will be gone in 1.5 years anyway. So you can trade him for a decent value at some point, for some crappy value next deadline or lose him for nothing. All 3 options are definitely possible but the first one would seem smartest to me if there are any takers. And I think there should be, he is pretty young, isn't really overpaid and his extension won't break the bank either.

Not to mention that if everyone is healthy, going into next season carrying 8 Ds on the roster isn't the best thing ever either.

I wonder when you'll delete this post.

Even if Murray did leave, who cares? He's like a TDL acquisition then. Why would a team who's built their identity around strong defensive play trade away a top 4 dman?

And no, your last sentence is pure garbage. Teams with 8 NHL quality dmen on their roster are built for long runs in the playoffs. That sort of depth is a luxury, built on the foundation of amazing contracts and team building. It's not a burden at all.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Do you believe Jackets can go deep in the playoffs? This season or the next one? I would say that's a bit of a stretch. They maybe could, however, in 3-4 years and getting a decent piece for Murray would help with that.

Yes I do. They're playing fantastic hockey, and they have the best defensive team in the league, with a very strong coach and system. They are very very deep as well all the way up and down the lineup. I think they're a TDL add up front (not even a top player, just a top 6) from being a real obvious contender.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I wonder when you'll delete this post.

Even if Murray did leave, who cares? He's like a TDL acquisition then. Why would a team who's built their identity around strong defensive play trade away a top 4 dman?

And no, your last sentence is pure garbage. Teams with 8 NHL quality dmen on their roster are built for long runs in the playoffs. That sort of depth is a luxury, built on the foundation of amazing contracts and team building. It's not a burden at all.
Because he isn't even playing in their top-4. Why did Carolina trade away Faulk? Also, that's whole another issue, but Hawks won 2 cups basically playing 5 Dmen, Caps won with Orpik who is barely skating, Djoos who is currently out of the league and Kempny whom they got for next to nothing because he was on his way out of the league. So I don't know how well this "8 defensemen" theory holds up. If anything, bottom-pairing Ds seem to be a non-factor for cup-winning teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad