Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets re-sign Dean Kukan (2 years, $1.65M AAV)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes I do. They're playing fantastic hockey, and they have the best defensive team in the league, with a very strong coach and system. They are very very deep as well all the way up and down the lineup. I think they're a TDL add up front (not even a top player, just a top 6) from being a real obvious contender.
What can I say, good for you. I wonder how many people share your enthusiasm.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Because he isn't even playing in their top-4. Why did Carolina trade away Faulk? Also, that's whole another issue, but Hawks won 2 cups basically playing 5 Dmen, Caps won with Orpik who is barely skating, Djoos who is currently out of the league and Kempny whom they got for next to nothing because he was on his way out of the league. So I don't know how well this "8 defensemen" theory holds up. If anything, bottom-pairing Ds seem to be a non-factor for cup-winning teams.

It's injury depth and being able to replace people when players get tired/injured. Those teams that had little depth didn't get banged up. It's not needed, but if it happens that they do suffer injuries it's a godsend to have the depth. It's insurance. It's how contenders build for deep runs.

lol. If you think Kempny is or was on his way out of the league, that might be another post you want to delete. He's a great dman. Washington endured no injuries, Jerebek steped into like a game or 3 tops.

2014-15 Chicago had... Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozi, Timo, Cumiskey, TVR, Runblad... lol... 2012-13 had Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozi, Leddy, Brookbank. The other ones had Leddy...Hendry... Boynton...Campbell... Sopel... they were stacked as well.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
lol. If you think Kempny is or was on his way out of the league, that might be another post you want to delete. He's a great dman. Washington endured no injuries, Jerebek steped into like a game or 3 tops.

2014-15 Chicago had... Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozi, Timo, Cumiskey, TVR, Runblad... lol... 2012-13 had Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozi, Leddy, Brookbank. The other ones had Leddy...Hendry... Boynton...Campbell... Sopel... they were stacked as well.
Yes, he is a great dman and he said himself it was the trade which saved his NHL career. Maybe you should start deleting your posts since as ever you aren't aware of the situations other people talk about and are only interested in running your mouth.

Michal Kempny calls his trade to Washington his ‘salvation’: ‘It pretty much saved my NHL career’

Timo in 14/15 and Leddy in 12/13 used to play 10 minutes per game and even way less than that in the crucial games. So stacked or not, they basically played 5 Ds in both cases in the deciding games. Timonen didn't play more than 8 shifts in the finals.

Kimmo Timonen Stats and News

But whatever, keep on shittalking. Cumiskey Rundblad Brookbank stacked defense... Yes.

And the Jackets are real obvious contender even though their roster features 1 player who has ever scored 70 points in this league (once in his career 5 years ago). Another yes. They definitely should sink in assets 2nd year in a row during the deadline instead of preparing for the future.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kempny was extremely misused by Coach Q. Lot of Hawk fans were surprised he re-signed with us.
I understand, the point was that Washington wasn't stacking some 8 superb defensemen for years. Which, really, no team is doing. Having 8 Ds paid over 1.5 mil p/y just isn't how this league operates in the cap era.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Kukan is a fine 5 or 6 defenseman. Much prefer him than Harrington, and maybe even Nutivaara these days. This deal is fine.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I’d probably rank Kukan as a good #5 that’s still somewhat young and definitely improving. He’s spent a good amount of time next to Jones when injuries have hit and has not looked out of place.

Murray is very much a top pairing caliber, but he only plays about 50-60% of games. He continues to step back in and plays at a high level. In no way shape or form is he a bottom pairing guy. Murray-Nutivaara is as good as nearly any other teams 2nd pair, with a few exceptions, but that is likely to be the third pair in Columbus due to just being a completely stacked group. Kukan is definitely on the outside looking in, but at $1.65 that’s a pretty good deal to have that kind of insurance.

I don’t have any problem with the Jackets carrying all of their current defensemen through the year, but it does remain a strength that they can afford to trade from. Down the line they’ll have to look at making room for Peeke if he forces his way into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad