Claimed off Waivers: [CBJ] Blue Jackets claim G Spencer Martin off waivers from the Canucks

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Doesn't Columbus already have their tandem? This seems like an odd move

Yeah, we have an iffy tandem when both are healthy, but Tarasov has a new knee issue. It’s unclear if Dell is impressing enough at camp to get a contract to be the #3, or if this is a sign that Dell is unlikely to be signed. Any one capable of playing NHL games is welcome, and might be a better option than either Elvis or Tarasov.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah, we have an iffy tandem when both are healthy, but Tarasov has a new knee issue. It’s unclear if Dell is impressing enough at camp to get a contract to be the #3, or if this is a sign that Dell is unlikely to be signed. Any one capable of playing NHL games is welcome, and might be a better option than either Elvis or Tarasov.

I know Elvis was awful last year, but let's be serious season and/or career ending injury aside there is no way Spencer Martin is a better option

Reactions: HabzSauce

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Weird vcr didn't want to hold him till end of preseason but whatever i guess lol

Tarasov is waiver eligible. Do the CBJ try to sneak Martin through waivers later in pre-season?
Martin would go back to the waiver list and then if he made it all the way down wouldn't he revert to Vancouvers property ?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Merzlikins needs to be much better and can be waived without fear of being claimed if necessary also. I’d have waited I think for another name but I guess they get to see Martin up close and can waive him if necessary at end of training camp.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
As an Oilers fan I've been fairly impressed with Martin every time I've seen him (admittedly not too many times) despite his bad stats. Don't mind this for Columbus.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Martin would go back to the waiver list and then if he made it all the way down wouldn't he revert to Vancouvers property ?
He would only go back to Vancouver if Vancouver made a successful claim on him
A player going on waivers a second time in a season is actually the exact same process as the first. The only minor difference (which is often what gets mixed up) is that if the original club (Vancouver this time) is the only club to put in a claim the second time, he can go straight to their minors

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
He would only go back to Vancouver if Vancouver made a successful claim on him
A player going on waivers a second time in a season is actually the exact same process as the first. The only minor difference (which is often what gets mixed up) is that if the original club (Vancouver this time) is the only club to put in a claim the second time, he can go straight to their minors
Yeah so if they keep waiving him the only team that can have him in the minors is Vancouver if they keep claiming him right ?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They’ll give him a couple of starts in the next week, and see where things end up. It’s safe to say they’re probably not done looking.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yeah so if they keep waiving him the only team that can have him in the minors is Vancouver if they keep claiming him right ?
Essentially four possibilities

If Colorado waives him and he goes unclaimed, Colorado can send him to the minors.
If any team besides Vancouver claims him, he has to stay on their roster (or attempt waivers again to go down)
If Vancouver claims him, but any other team puts in an unsuccessful claim, he has to stay on their roster (or attempt waivers again to go down)
If Vancouver claims him and is the only team to put in a claim, they can send him down to the minors if they wish

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Essentially four possibilities

If Colorado waives him and he goes unclaimed, Colorado can send him to the minors.
If any team besides Vancouver claims him, he has to stay on their roster (or attempt waivers again to go down)
If Vancouver claims him, but any other team puts in an unsuccessful claim, he has to stay on their roster (or attempt waivers again to go down)
If Vancouver claims him and is the only team to put in a claim, they can send him down to the minors if they wish
Cbj instead of Colorado or did I miss another part to this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad