GDT: CBJ at Bruins || Dec 3 2023

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Its a mystery why they don't address the pp. Egotism? Stubbornness? Inexperience? Idiocy? Blindness? Directive from above?

Im sure I've missed something.
Shortly after he was initially hired as an assistant coach for CBJ, there was an interview where he talked about PP and statistics regarding where most PP goals were scored. I think he said something there that aligns with a simple "get pucks on net quick and traffic in front" offense mentality, and that he believes in that type of attacking.

When I look at Jackets PP1, I don't see a lot of quick puck movement on the perimeter with players with ideal handedness on each position giving them legitimate one-timer or down-low play options. It's basically just JG, Laine and Werenski firing pucks from far out as soon as they have a chance, hoping that puck would go in with a good screen and/or deflection.

So one theory is that Vincent just believes strongly and stubbornly in certain statistics and doesn't watch as much how the PP actually looks.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Marchand's contract has been one of the best values for an NHL team. I thought that his off season surgery might signal the end of his high end productivity. Evidently not.
Marchand is a unicorn in the league. He’s steadily grown as a player from being a pest to play against from seasons past to still being a pest to play against, always keeping that edge to his game but in a mature way and tilting the game and pulling his team to victories without doing stupid shit that hurts them. His offensive talent speaks for itself.

Love him or hate him, every team would love to have him on their roster. He’s a vet who has the skill and attitude that any coach drools over…

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What people don't realize is we hired a coach at the very last minute because nobody else was basically available who had PP experience which was one of the worst in the league when he coached.
I have 0 experience coaching power plays at any level, but I do know when something isn’t working. I’d be doing some tinkering with the players. If my second unit was scoring at a higher percentage than the first unit, I’d definitely flip them.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I have 0 experience coaching power plays at any level, but I do know when something isn’t working. I’d be doing some tinkering with the players. If my second unit was scoring at a higher percentage than the first unit, I’d definitely flip them.
I honestly believe that anyone on this board who can understand basic statistics would have approached the failure of the PP1 unit better than this coaching staff.

Getting Werenski off of the QB and PP1 unit is so simple that even a child could do it. But not the "professionals" coaching the CBJ. And the GM can't duck some responsibility for the failure of the PP to produce at a rate needed to win at this level.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I honestly believe that anyone on this board who can understand basic statistics would have approached the failure of the PP1 unit better than this coaching staff.

Getting Werenski off of the QB and PP1 unit is so simple that even a child could do it. But not the "professionals" coaching the CBJ. And the GM can't duck some responsibility for the failure of the PP to produce at a level needed to win at this level.

Yeah before the season there was talk about stealing what works, as in taking pieces of other successful teams playbooks and trying to implement them. I'd say this might be showing in the defensive zone and especially PK. But who is this PP from?

When you have the pieces the team currently has, identifying the main threats on PP should not be difficult at all. There's a league elite shooter with a right handed shot. Usually when you look at successful PP with a right handed main threat, there is a right handed defenseman who is capable of moving the puck quickly from right to left, and also is a shooting threat themselves. We have such defensemen, at least one in Boqvist and I also think Jiricek could run it better than any LHD.

It needs to start with allowing a RHD to feed Laine on the left. Marchenko is a good bumber spot for the RH setup, Boone or Vronk up front.

The question is then between Johnny and Fantilli on the right boards. If Johnny wants to run a PP from the left, then Fantilli should be in this spot and Johnny in the other PP running it from right and Zach on the point. Fantilli is also a bigger shooting threat himself than Johnny is, so I'd like him on the same PP as Laine. And if Johnny is on the left side on PP2, then the right side would be Chinny or KJ.

Why is it so difficult? At the end of the game with goalie pulled they had Laine on the left side again and it was generating better chances than the PP had all game.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah before the season there was talk about stealing what works, as in taking pieces of other successful teams playbooks and trying to implement them. I'd say this might be showing in the defensive zone and especially PK. But who is this PP from?

When you have the pieces the team currently has, identifying the main threats on PP should not be difficult at all. There's a league elite shooter with a right handed shot. Usually when you look at successful PP with a right handed main threat, there is a right handed defenseman who is capable of moving the puck quickly from right to left, and also is a shooting threat themselves. We have such defensemen, at least one in Boqvist and I also think Jiricek could run it better than any LHD.

It needs to start with allowing a RHD to feed Laine on the left. Marchenko is a good bumber spot for the RH setup, Boone or Vronk up front.

The question is then between Johnny and Fantilli on the right boards. If Johnny wants to run a PP from the left, then Fantilli should be in this spot and Johnny in the other PP running it from right and Zach on the point. Fantilli is also a bigger shooting threat himself than Johnny is, so I'd like him on the same PP as Laine. And if Johnny is on the left side on PP2, then the right side would be Chinny or KJ.

Why is it so difficult? At the end of the game with goalie pulled they had Laine on the left side again and it was generating better chances than the PP had all game.
First of all, we have to remember that Werenski has a definite position. That's why it's hard to move him to 2PP Unit. Also, it is striking that LH (Chinakhov) on the left side, although his shot is more dangerous from the right side.
My amateur suggestion with this if Werenski needs to be on the 1PP Unit and Johnny on the left, also there would be both 1PP Unit.

Jenner
Gaudreau - Marchenko - Chinakhov
Werenski

Voronkov
Laine - Fantilli - Johnson
Boqvist

I would also like to ask why Kent is playing with Gaudreau if Kent plays better with other players? Question number two, why Patrik is in front of the net, blocking the goalie's vision on others' shots. Is he supposed to be second Boone Jenner, or is he supposed to his shoot?

Btw, part of end of the game we played 5:5 with goalie pulled, nevertheless, we generated more chances.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Jenner
Gaudreau - Marchenko - Chinakhov
Werenski

Voronkov
Laine - Fantilli - Johnson
Boqvist
Good looking units. 2PP could do some interesting plays by having KJ and Fantilli switch positions mid-play to open up Fantillis onetimer.

Johnny on his natural side with Chinakhov as the shooter also intrigues me a lot. Might answer a lot of questions of how good Chinakhovs shot actually is. The shot always looks so clean and snappy but hasnt really gone in much. Maybe the extra space Johnny creates would make a difference

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Maybe we've been stealing from the Penguins who just lost to Philly 2-1:

NHL.com said:
The Penguins were 0-for-3 on the power play with one shot on goal. They are 0-for-29 with the man-advantage in their past 11 games.

We're not the only yikes. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad