Confirmed Buy-Out [CBJ] Alex Wennberg bought out by the Blue Jackets

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Are you talking about Taylor Hall?

taylor-hall-hallg-time-draft-lottery-champion-the-taylor-hall-47809167.png

Detroit’s gotten bumped down due to lottery wins by higher seeded teams two years in a row. Maybe to help complete their rebuild they should be all in on him. They certainly have the cap space.

Reactions: Patagonia

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's a big ol' buyout. I'd really like to see him on a cheap deal in Vancouver, to give that sorta muddled 3rd line a real direction. Let Virtanen and Gaudette play an offensive role, with an okayish center. Fourth line can just roll all the defensive centers.

Reactions: Canucks1096

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He is a very polarizing figure in CBJ land. A lot of people have been waiting for him to get bought out for a couple seasons now. Some people are still expecting him to return to form and score 60 points.

My opinion is that he is a good player that has badly needed a change of scenery. This buyout is more about his contract than anything, and the benefits of buying him out now outweigh the potential of keeping him.

I think he will make a fine 3C for some team. He is capable of being a distributer on a 2 PP unit and 1 PK. Face offs aren’t his strong suit so in that respect he isn’t the ideal 3C but he brings a lot to the table. He overpasses way too much and was asked why he won’t shoot every other day for the last 2 years.

I think he will be a good option at 3C for some team for half the contract. I was hoping we could retain some salary and find a partner for his contract around $3M or so, but obviously that didn’t work out.

With Columbus’s acquisition of Domi, and with PLD holding down the other top six center spot, Wennberg was directly competing with Jenner for that third line spot and Jenner is the more natural fit there. Foudy and Texier will also probably get looks at center this year.

It would not surprise me to see him rebound immediately upon finding a new team. It has felt like he has needed a change of scenery for a while now.

I agree with all of this except

1) the faceoffs bit is barely relevant. Wennberg was 46% last year, about the same as Anthony Cirelli, the Bolts cup-winning shutdown guy. Unless someone is at like 40% it has a tiny impact on their possession game.

2) Contracts aside I'd rather have Wennberg at 3C than Jenner at 3C. Jenner isn't actually a natural center in my opinion and is just okayish defensively at this point. Wennberg is a better possession player and plays a better low-event game.

I think the jam probably comes from his cerebral (hockey IQ) defensive play. He controls play (smart with his passes, not easily knocked off the puck and plays like a Vet/very calm in his play) and sets up teammates well; just "typed cast" for lack of a better word, in Torts system. Worse part is, he seems comfortable in the role. I expect him to snap out of it when another team picks him up and he settles in with a new coach.

Just my opinion...for what its worth. CoachWithNoTeam nail'd it on the head tho.

I don't expect him to "snap out of it". His hyper-vigilant playstyle is actually close to what they teach young centers in Sweden, they prefer them to play like soccer midfielders and less like third forwards. I think it's not a thing he developed as a Jacket and as a player for Torts, I think it's more deep-rooted than that. I'm excited for Wennberg to go somewhere where he can be a defensive 3C and just be appreciated for that.

Not really sure what people are seeing with this player. If he was providing quality play at the 3C spot the Jackets would likely just keep him. He's cracked 10 G in a season only once.

That deal they gave him never made much sense.

It's a little different when he's paid $4.9m per and you already have another 3C. See above, I'd take Wennberg over Jenner, contracts aside.

Reactions: Viqsi

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I hope the Canucks sign him on a cheap deal, not the player CBJ hoped he would be but has a good defensive game.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I just got an email from the CBJ titled "Blue Jackets announce major signing". I thought, Wow this must be why they dumped Wennberg. I scroll down and the announcement is...

Jet's Pizza is now the Official Pizza partner of the Blue Jackets!

Apparently they had to get rid of Wennberg to buy a couple of pizzas!!

Don't underrate Jet's Pizza. There are a lot of players I'd happily swap for a Detroit-Style Deep Dish pizza.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Season : points
14/15 : 20
15/16 : 40
16/17 : 59
17/18 : 35
18/19 : 25
19/20 : 22

My guess is he’ll rebound and bring in 30-35 points next season.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Just a guy that not only didn't develop after his breakout season but regressed. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him salvage his career in the right situation like Burakovsky just did.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'd gladly take him in Detroit for cheap, on a hope he can bounce back.

It's a win-win. Detroit sucks and pays cheap money to give a guy the chance to be a Top 6 center again, and Wennberg will get all the opportunity in the world to re-establish himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad