Confirmed Buy-Out [CBJ] Alex Wennberg bought out by the Blue Jackets

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I could see him being pursued by a dozen teams. He will lose 10.7 million with the buy out but I could see him getting around 3 million for 3 or 4 years. Gets out of Columbus and still gets his cash.
If he's looking for a 4 year deal, I wan't no part of him on NYR.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dubas find some takers for AJ and Kerfoot.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Mikheyev
Engvall Wennberg Nylander
??????? Spezza ??????

Wennberg and Nylander were magic at the WHC a few years ago. He is exactly the type of player we need. Size, skill and got some jam to his game. Although only a few years older would be great with the two other Swedes.

Reactions: LeafsAvs

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Mikheyev
??????? Spezza ??????

Wennberg and Nylander were magic at the WHC a few years ago. He is exactly the type of player we need. Size, skill and got some jam to his game. Although only a few years older would be great with the two other Swedes.
He has some jam to his game? When did this happen?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Mikheyev
??????? Spezza ??????

If the Wennberg you just described actually existed in reality, CBJ would be hanging on to him

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He is a very polarizing figure in CBJ land. A lot of people have been waiting for him to get bought out for a couple seasons now. Some people are still expecting him to return to form and score 60 points.

My opinion is that he is a good player that has badly needed a change of scenery. This buyout is more about his contract than anything, and the benefits of buying him out now outweigh the potential of keeping him.

I think he will make a fine 3C for some team. He is capable of being a distributer on a 2 PP unit and 1 PK. Face offs aren’t his strong suit so in that respect he isn’t the ideal 3C but he brings a lot to the table. He overpasses way too much and was asked why he won’t shoot every other day for the last 2 years.

I think he will be a good option at 3C for some team for half the contract. I was hoping we could retain some salary and find a partner for his contract around $3M or so, but obviously that didn’t work out.

With Columbus’s acquisition of Domi, and with PLD holding down the other top six center spot, Wennberg was directly competing with Jenner for that third line spot and Jenner is the more natural fit there. Foudy and Texier will also probably get looks at center this year.

It would not surprise me to see him rebound immediately upon finding a new team. It has felt like he has needed a change of scenery for a while now.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Mikheyev
??????? Spezza ??????

LMAO

I wish Wennberg nothing but the best but he's a scared puppy. There is zero jam to his game.

Reactions: Martin Sloan

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not sure why anyone is bothering with linking him to teams other than Colorado. For all intents and purposes he's already an Av.

Colorado's assistant GM Chris MacFarland was in Columbus when Wennberg was drafted in the 1st round. We have a long history of adding former Blue Jackets too, including most recently head coach Jared Bednar, Ian Cole, and Matt Calvert, among others.

Note that I'm not necessarily saying that it would be my first choice for the 3C role, but given the strong links between Colorado and former Blue Jackets it seems quite inevitable. That's particularly so given that Colorado also have a need for a 3C who's good on the PK, and since Sakic also has a habit of going after under-priced reclamation projects (eg. Yakupov, Nichuskin, Burakovsky, etc).

JD and Panarin are in NYC. Rangers or Avs are the top 2 teams for Wennberg in my opinion. Rangers need help with Jesper Fast most likely being an UFA.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I think the jam probably comes from his cerebral (hockey IQ) defensive play. He controls play (smart with his passes, not easily knocked off the puck and plays like a Vet/very calm in his play) and sets up teammates well; just "typed cast" for lack of a better word, in Torts system. Worse part is, he seems comfortable in the role. I expect him to snap out of it when another team picks him up and he settles in with a new coach.

Just my opinion...for what its worth. CoachWithNoTeam nail'd it on the head tho.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Hyman Matthews Marner
Robertson JT Mikheyev
??????? Spezza ??????

Loui Eriksson was magic with the Sedin's too at a WHC.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
He’d fit perfectly between Ehlers and Laine on the Jets second line. Make it happen Chevy!!!!!

Two years would be ideal but I might give him a 3 rd to make it happen. Lots of time for a resurgence, playing between two dynamic young offensive wingers.

Reactions: Jets88

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs seems fairly obvious with so many connections to the CBJ, but the player might be chasing $$$. His defensive, youth and skating skills would be a perfect 3C. There is less pressure to lead offensively. Sakic could offer 1+1 year shortened deal which is a show-me agreement.

He would drop to 4C after Newhook joins the team, but if his offensive skills are gone this still would be the perfect home.

Reactions: AslanRH

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
AVs seems fairly obvious with so many connections to the CBJ, but the player might be chasing $$$. His defensive, youth and skating skills would be a perfect 3C. There is less pressure to lead offensively. Sakic could offer 1+1 year shortened deal which is a show-me agreement.

He would drop to 4C after Newhook joins the team, but if his offensive skills are gone this still would be the perfect home.

He is exactly the type of player the Avs need to be getting rid of, not getting more of. Need more playoff performers to win a cup not guys who shy away from physicality and are always getting hurt.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He is exactly the type of player the Avs need to be getting rid of, not getting more of. Need more playoff performers to win a cup not guys who shy away from physicality and are always getting hurt.

Are you talking about Taylor Hall?

taylor-hall-hallg-time-draft-lottery-champion-the-taylor-hall-47809167.png

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not really sure what people are seeing with this player. If he was providing quality play at the 3C spot the Jackets would likely just keep him. He's cracked 10 G in a season only once.

That deal they gave him never made much sense.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
As long as you don’t sign him to score goals, you’ll be happy with him.
He doesn’t hit and is easily pushed off the puck sometimes, but he’s smart.
We’d have kept him if that contract wasn’t so horrendous. He’s still a valuable piece for 3/4C.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
I just got an email from the CBJ titled "Blue Jackets announce major signing". I thought, Wow this must be why they dumped Wennberg. I scroll down and the announcement is...

Jet's Pizza is now the Official Pizza partner of the Blue Jackets!

Apparently they had to get rid of Wennberg to buy a couple of pizzas!!

Did you see the video they did? Jody, Jarmo, Torts, and Nasher all talking about the Jets deal like it was a signing that would get us to the cup. Gave me a good laugh thinking of ownership asking Torts to do it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Not really sure what people are seeing with this player. If he was providing quality play at the 3C spot the Jackets would likely just keep him. He's cracked 10 G in a season only once.

That deal they gave him never made much sense.

CBJ overpaid at $5M per and too expensive against the cap keeping as a 3C. Buyout due to his age is less than a $1M per.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00