CBC viewers - what do think of Romanuk?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I really like him,. His game calling is exciting, he has a great feel for big moments and you can feel he's genuily happy to be at the game. prefer him 100% over Hughson.

Hughson isthe white paint of play by play and he doesn't follow the play well, he gets lost in big moments. He also comments on the players hockey sense and choices which I despise, twice in a period in a Pitt-Ott game Hughson made comments about players decisions within games and how they could of made better plays. Nothing I hate more then a Play by Play guy second guessing players on the ice and saying things like 'he should of left it for the trailer' or 'would of been better to keep it on that side of the ice' -

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I agree with your comment on Hughson. Used to like him a lot, but that last 2-3 seasons especially, his homerism for the Leafs is getting a little out of hand. I know he is a Canuck guy, but he calls the Leafs all the time, and obviously has a sharp bias due to this.

Hughson is the anti-leaf. I know he calls them all the time, but his man crushes on any opposing team's superstars is just appalling. I don't know how you think he is a Leaf homer; I encourage you to watch a couple games next season to see for yourself.

It got so bad that I would stream the opposing teams broadcast just to avoid him.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
He's terrible. Leafs fans had to listen to him all season long. The guy doesn't know who anyone is. He's boring and insults the fans by saying shutout as many times as he can and stuff like that.

Notice people saying he's good aren't Leafs fans with a few exceptions.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
SN is a bunch of second rate media personalities working for the company that has national broadcast rights for the next 10 years.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Hughson and Simpson aren't terrible as much as they are boring and bland as ****. It's literally the Joe Buck and Troy Aikman of hockey. If the game isn't exciting, they WILL put you to sleep. Especially Simpson. It feels like he's spoken at the same robotic tone forever. Ever since Healy left, those two have been more or less neutral but they are boring as all hell. I would gladly give Hughson and Simpson back to the west coast.

But take it from someone that has to listen to Romanuk and Millen every day, they are very much awful. Romanuk can't keep up with the play or get the names right. Hell, we had points this season where he referred to JVR as Nieuwendyk or Vanbiesbrouck and that time he called William Nylander "Michael Nylander". He's so awful, he even mixes up current players with those who last played over a decade ago. And Millen is not much better. He just repeats one stat over and over and talks about that one talking point like it's a huge significant part of the game even though it usually isn't. Bonus points if it is his go-to stat, faceoffs. Also, he tends to mix up people as well. Hell, he referred to Dan Bylsma as Lindy Ruff multiple times this season. And if those two can't stop mixing up the names of the team they do regional broadcasts for and actively cover, I can't imagine how bad they are for national broadcasts.

But yeah, either way, Sportsnet can do far better. Hell, look at TSN. Chris Cuthbert is far and away the best in the business and Gord Miller isn't too far behind. Ray Ferraro, while at times can be about of a loudmouth, knows his **** and isn't afraid to let a player have it. I can only dream of getting to listen to Cuthbert and Ferraro call playoff games. Sadly, that'll never happen due to this stupid TV deal. Oh well, maybe if CBC never fired Cuthbert, we wouldn't be in this mess.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I've grown to like Romanuk, brings some excitement to the job - he's very old school, he wants to be Danny Gallivan who was the legendary play by play man in Montreal for HNIC, for those too young to have experienced him, famous for his flowery almost snooty call. Romanuk sometimes awkwardly tries to do the same, I appreciate the effort, it works more often than it fails.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
He tries way too hard and it comes across as put-on rather than genuine.

Case in point he always tries to build up the excitement and fake tension in his voice between passes on a power play just in case it comes off for a goal and sounds super exciting.

Problem is you have to listen to him try this trick about 10 times for every one time it comes off. Rest of the time it's "nice try Paul".

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I like him a lot, always have. I don't know why the hate and I don't give a **** to know either. It's a ridiculous topic game after game. I'd take him over Hughson or Cole. Dead serious.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He's decent. Mostly he just looks like E.T., though.

AHNELwG.jpg

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I've grown to like Romanuk, brings some excitement to the job - he's very old school, he wants to be Danny Gallivan who was the legendary play by play man in Montreal for HNIC, for those too young to have experienced him, famous for his flowery almost snooty call. Romanuk sometimes awkwardly tries to do the same, I appreciate the effort, it works more often than it fails.

even uses his phrases...bombastic booming blast, rapier action, skating gingerly etc., young people have no idea hes regurgitating that stuff. for me, who grew up on Gallivan, Romanuks attempts are sometimes awkward as hell.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I do agree that he tries to be like gallivan. That's why I refer to him trying hard to be theatrical. The problem is that it doesn't work for him. I feel like he's trying to be something that isn't natural to him.

Like I said before, I don't recall him trying to be like that during his tsn days. Younger people might not remember this but Romanuk used to be the main hockey commentator on tsn. It was only after he left that miller became that guy.

Drop the seemingly forced theatricals, and I think Romanuk is just fine.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He's awful. Terrible voice and messes names up way too much. At least when Bob Cole messes up names he has the excuse of age and has an unbelievable voice.

I've also seen(heard) him downplay some unbelievable saves and goals and overhype the hell out of not so good chances. It makes no sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad