kane.jpg
Jan 24, 2010
prefer him over hughson/simpson at this point, he's not that bad

miss the TSN days with miller/cuthbert calling the games :<

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
People seem to complain a lot on here about Romanuk but he's not that bad. It could certainly be much worse!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's not great.

Not terrible.

It just always bugged me when he and Mike Johnson worked games together, because Johnson was just so clearly smarter, and trying to break down the game at an analytical level, but then Romanuk would jump in 'but what is this player feeeeeeeeeeeeeeling right now?'

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He's not great.

Not terrible.

It just always bugged me when he and Mike Johnson worked games together, because Johnson was just so clearly smarter, and trying to break down the game at an analytical level, but then Romanuk would jump in 'but what is this player feeeeeeeeeeeeeeling right now?'

I learned that the Predators were flexing their teeth tonight. Brilliant commentary.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I actually like every single announcer. They all have their own flavor. When I see people hating on someone I'm always like really? This bothers you?

No problems with Romanuk or even greg millen!

My favorite is chris cuthbert though.

Duranium94

May 16, 2017
Let's just say TSN definitely has the better commentators.

But I like the way romanuk says "scores!" So I don't mind his commentary.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
I actually like every single announcer. They all have their own flavor. When I see people hating on someone I'm always like really? This bothers you?

No problems with Romanuk or even greg millen!

My favorite is chris cuthbert though.
really like Cuthbert.
Let's just say TSN definitely has the better commentators.

But I like the way romanuk says "scores!" So I don't mind his commentary.

have to admit i like that too.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
he's decent if he's commentating two teams where he's not trying to push one. he's on a national broadcast, but he was super pro habs in the ottawa - montreal series a few years back and was super pro ottawa round two this year.

goal call when the team he's pushing scores: "scores! like a hunter! skilled with the bow, he STRIKES through the heart of the gazelle into the top corner! what a play! what a shot!"

goal call when the team he's not pushing scores: "scores! a nice shot that beats the goalie! 2-1 game!"

buddy, you're on a national broadcast. calm down or at least try to hide you're rooting for a team.

he gets names wrong all the time as well. i do like his voice and vocabulary, so i don't mind listening to him. i just don't want him calling my team's game. he can make things exciting, but his biases ruin it if i'm heavily emotionally invested in the series. when he's actively rooting for my team it's annoying. if he's rooting against my team i want to strangle him. hearing him get names wrong is also annoying, but i get over it. if he's calling two teams where i'm just watching the game and don't know the number for every player on both team? i'll take him. just not over the terrific two on tsn or hughson (i like him despite many people thinking he's boring).

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
if he was the one that said, "here is a slash on this guy's hands, you don't want to hit the sticks, they might break," i like him.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Anything other than the NBC feed works for me. When I watch that channel it seems like the first time the announcers have ever seen the game of hockey and I get tilted.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
personally not a big fan....whats your opinion?

His voice is nails to a chalkboard bad. like really bad. :laugh:

Anything other than the NBC feed works for me. When I watch that channel it seems like the first time the announcers have ever seen the game of hockey and I get tilted.

Opposite for me. I refuse to listen to SN (except hughson but even he's not as good anymore). I'll take NBC any day of the week.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Not a fan. I miss TSN so much. They should have gotten the NHL deal. Sad move by the NHL -- which is always focused on short-term greed.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think he is fine as far as accurately describing the play and knowing what is going on. However, I do find him to be quite bland and not overly entertaining.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He tells the truth. Loved him from is days on TSN

He doesn't seem like the same sportscaster from his TSN days. Generally, I think he's okay, but I liked him more when he was on TSN. Since he came back to this gig, it seems like he's trying to explain a theatrical play or something, and its not something he pulls off very well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
His voice is nails to a chalkboard bad. like really bad. :laugh:

Opposite for me. I refuse to listen to SN (except hughson but even he's not as good anymore). I'll take NBC any day of the week.

I agree with your comment on Hughson. Used to like him a lot, but that last 2-3 seasons especially, his homerism for the Leafs is getting a little out of hand. I know he is a Canuck guy, but he calls the Leafs all the time, and obviously has a sharp bias due to this.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I like the combo of him and Galley, they have it worked out well. Hughson/Simpson are not good this series, Hughson blathers away for half the game instead of calling it and it's usually to remind everyone every 2 minutes about the Penguin injuries. I miss Romanuk/Galley who did round 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad