Confirmed with Link: Cayden Primeau Extended (3-Years, 1-Way @ $890K AAV)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If the Habs saw Poulin as someone never to play in Trois Rivieres, they could have signed him to a 2-way NHL deal. They did not, so I have my doubts as to their evaluation of him. If they did not sign Poulin now, why would they do so if Allen gets the flu or Monty has a 12 day IR stint??

This only puts Primeau's stability at risk. I therefore think the Habs are looking for a goalie better than Poulin.

He might not be their first option. They will most likely look elsewhere first to see if there are viable options. But if there is nothing, then they can then turn to Kevin Poulin.

Reactions: viceroy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah but the truth is you can't draft a franchise goalie behind the development curve of the rest of the team. They're not going to hit their prime for 5-7 years and by then Suzuki is already declining.

You don't need a franchise goalie.. Kuemper f***ing sucks compared to a franchise goalie but he provided exactly what that team needed.

You just don't want to be Toronto which we shouldn't be because Primeau, Dobes and Dichow have shown more promise than any goalie they've had in their system.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Anyone's numbers would've been scary bad last season on the Habs. Let's wait and see.

Holy crap. Taking it back a few decades with that comparison!
I’m talking about every year before Montreal even especially the AHL

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You don't need a franchise goalie.. Kuemper f***ing sucks compared to a franchise goalie but he provided exactly what that team needed.

You just don't want to be Toronto which we shouldn't be because Primeau, Dobes and Dichow have shown more promise than any goalie they've had in their system.

We don't need but it's extremely nice to have....but it's more that the game has changed.
There's just less franchise goaltender then they were before because the game is more on offense now.

How many are really franchise goaltender these days that are dominant year after year and make a difference?
Maybe 3 or 4 goalies?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Monty isn't getting sent down. He's better than he gets credit for. I'm betting that he'll surprise a LOT of people this year. Especially if he can use the negatively towards his early play as motivation.

I remember some games down the stretch where he couldn't stop anything. Pucks would just go through him.

For example, in the following highlights of one of the last games of the season, at the 5 minute mark, you see him make some good saves, only to give up a softee that's a total back breaker. Can't be a number 1 if you continually five up goals like this...

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We don't need but it's extremely nice to have....but it's more that the game has changed.
There's just less franchise goaltender then they were before because the game is more on offense now.

How many are really franchise goaltender these days that are dominant year after year and make a difference?
Maybe 3 or 4 goalies?

Vasy and Shesterkin.

Askarov only prospect I see with that upside.. Wallstedt is close.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Maybe 3 or 4 goalies?
As a corollary to your post, as has been proven time and again, you don’t need a franchise goalie to be successful in the playoffs.

Goalie depth
Goalie depp … like premium chocolate

Johnny Depp: Is that chocolate on my pillow?

:sarcasm:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

No, sorry, but that issue is now already here. For example, are Allen and Montembault really any better than Murray and Samsonov, and their AHL goalies of Woll and Kallgren are not really behind Primeau, Dobes and Dichow, At this point any supposed difference doesn't show and is just splitting hairs.

A lot of teams are looking for goalies. What is really out there? Not much. It will be a position thorn in the Habs side to fill if they expect to get a star. Teams have given up on superstar goalies and teams are being built with better skaters and average goalies.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think Primeau is much of a prospect but the contract is ok. If he doesnt progress he can ride the contract out in Laval.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No, sorry, but that issue is now already here. For example, are Allen and Montembault really any better than Murray and Samsonov, and their AHL goalies of Woll and Kallgren are not really behind Primeau, Dobes and Dichow, At this point any supposed difference doesn't show and is just splitting hairs.

A lot of teams are looking for goalies. What is really out there? Not much. It will be a position thorn in the Habs side to fill if they expect to get a star. Teams have given up on superstar goalies and teams are being built with better skaters and average goalies.

We are not remotely in the same contending period as the Leafs.

The truth of the matter is that the Montreal Canadiens have not had an opportunity to draft a goalie with #1 upside since 2018 when Dostal went in round 3 and at the time, no one thought he had that upside.. I really liked him but he's developed better than expected.

Askarov went before we could pick him.
Knight went before we could pick him.
Wallstedt went before we could pick him.

The next chance they will get is 2024 with Vinni.

And yeah, Dobes/Dichow/Primeau is a better contingent than Woll and Kallgren. Primeau was clearly better than Woll in the NCAA and has shown better at the AHL level, as well. Dobes' first season in the NCAA is better than anything Woll put together especially factoring in teams. Dichow just had one of the best goalie seasons in Allsvenskan and is playing with Frolunda, Kallgren is just a name from Sweden.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I remember some games down the stretch where he couldn't stop anything. Pucks would just go through him.

For example, in the following highlights of one of the last games of the season, at the 5 minute mark, you see him make some good saves, only to give up a softee that's a total back breaker. Can't be a number 1 if you continually five up goals like this...

He did give up the odd soft one but looked a lot more composed than early in the season. He gave up fewer in the second half.
I know I'm in the minority, but I think people will be surprised.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I wouldn't be surprised to see Primeau start in Laval and join the Habs once Allen is dealt at the trade deadline.

Jul 6, 2016
Cheap deal. Primeau had excellent Playoffs with Laval and we should expect him to be given 10-15 games this year with Habs and even more in case of injuries and or if Montambeault fails.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He did give up the odd soft one but looked a lot more composed than early in the season. He gave up fewer in the second half.
I know I'm in the minority, but I think people will be surprised.
I hope you're seeing right!

Reactions: cphabs

Jul 6, 2016
Everyone is signed now. Hughes must now free up some space money wise and also roster wise.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to see Primeau start in Laval and join the Habs once Allen is dealt at the trade deadline.
Martin Leclerc on BPM wondering what the plan is for Primeau as he hasn’t played in more than 33 regular season games in any of his AHL seasons (however, he did appear in 14 playoff games last season, so 47 total).

If they are grooming him to be a no. 1, should he not be getting into more games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad