Confirmed with Link: Cayden Primeau Extended (3-Years, 1-Way @ $890K AAV)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
How does waivers work with him?

He is waiver exempt right now.

He has 1 year or 56 NHL games before he requires waivers.

So basically, next year, he will need to go through waivers. However, IF he ends up playing 56 NHL games this year, then he will need to go through waivers this year as soon as those 56 NHL games pass (he doesn't need to technically play the game. If he is dressed as the back up, that counts as an NHL game).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Cayden had a terrific playoff run a few months back erasing a nightmare regular season.
No young goalie was going to play behind such a horrible team and not struggle.

His rebound control has really improved but he still needs to get better at handling the puck which often times has created some real adventures in the D zone.

Hopefully he is kept in Laval this entire season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Signings like this one and the Dach one make me wonder how differently Subban/Markov/Radulov would have been treated by Hughes/Gorton.

Man, it's hard to forgive Molson for hiring Bergevin and keeping him around so long.

Well, Markov and Radulov were UFAs, I don't think we really know how they'd deal with them considering they haven't really signed any yet.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
So now with everyone under contract, the goalies at the 3 levels should be:

Montreal: Allen & Montembeault
Laval: Primeau & Poulin
3R: Desrosiers & Vrbetic
I still believe that they will either send Montembault to Laval and grab a goalie off waivers to back-up Allen, or acquire an experienced goalie for Laval who has cleared waivers. They will probably have to do that to avoid Primeau being an injury call-up. Poulin is not even under contract with the team, and neither are the other two.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I still believe that they will either send Montembault to Laval and grab a goalie off waivers to back-up Allen, or acquire an experienced goalie for Laval who has cleared waivers. They will probably have to do that to avoid Primeau being an injury call-up. Poulin is not even under contract with the team, and neither are the other two.

The othes are under contract. They don't have to be on an NHL deal to be part of the organization and have spots in Laval and 3R.

Also, I don't see them claim a goalie off waivers just to pick them up. If the timing syncs up at having an injury and then a goalie goes on waivers, then I see them do it (similar to how Monty went on waivers when Habs knew Price was not returning).

But if the timing doesn't sync up, then they can't claim a goalie off waivers if there isn't one there. If someone gets hurt, then they'll look at the market similarly to how they got Andrew Hammond last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad