GDT: #CauseWinning: Canes @ Rongos Game 2 ("7pm" on ESPN)

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I went to sleep after 1st OT. Thoughts:

Agree TDA is better on the point. At least when he was running PP1 in the past because he moves and is aggressive. Burns and even Aho to some extent, when they have they puck are slow, and do not punish teams when they are aggressive. Teams can get aggressive then collapse and wait in the time it takes Burns to gather and walk the puck.

Should have started Kooch, though Andersen played well in OT1. In addition to giving us a better chance at winning, I can't imagine how Kooch must feel after earning starts with his play near the end of the season.

Jarvis on line 1.

Rags dive.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
All the "Negative Nancy-ism" evaporates when we win convincingly tomorrow night at home.

Start PK. It's his time to shine. Seize the crease young man and don't look back.
Ya mean like Jersey did in exactly this situation last year?

This team is in deep unless or until they win both.

Otherwise they aren’t coming back to Carolina.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
All the "Negative Nancy-ism" evaporates when we win convincingly tomorrow night at home.

Start PK. It's his time to shine. Seize the crease young man and don't look back.
It’s a 7 game series where we haven’t even played a home game yet. Half the board has already jumped off a cliff.

giphy.gif

Ya mean like Jersey did in exactly this situation last year?

This team is in deep unless or until they win both.

Otherwise they aren’t coming back to Carolina.
Yes. Jersey came back against the Rangers just last year after looking dead in the water.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Criticism of the coach, coaching decisions, player performance, PP, is fine. That’s what fans do, even if we don’t see the whole picture.

The over the top stuff about players not caring, Rod shouldn’t be back, players know the fans will forgive and forget, etc. is what I was referring to earlier.

They need to hold serve for both games and figure out special teams or it will be a short series. Looking forward to see how they react in game 3.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
It’s a 7 game series where we haven’t even played a home game yet. Half the board has already jumped off a cliff.

View attachment 867272

Yes. Jersey came back against the Rangers just last year after looking dead in the water.

This is why I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet on this team.

Yes, 2-0 is a steep cliff to climb but teams have done it in the past. Dallas did it this year to Vegas in the first round.

The Devils did it to the Rangers last year, the lightning the year before that. Hell, Carolina did it to the Capitals 5 years ago. So, it is possible.

It starts with winning game 3 and holding serve at home.

The Rangers won on their home ice. Good for them. They held serve. Theoretically, that's what they're supposed to do.

A positive is that both games were close and yesterday Guentzel woke up an that may be a good thing for game 3 and beyond.

One game at a time.

This series does not start until you lose at home.

However, it is imperative that Carolina defend their home ice. I expect them to come out flying in game 3 knowing they'll be playing for their lives.

They need to go back to NY tied at 2.

This team has been resilient all year; no reason for them to not be resilient now.

This series is eerily similar to 2022 when we won our first two games on home ice and were up 2-0 on the Rangers. They won in 7.

Will the script be flipped this time around? We'll see.

Gotta take away Shesterkins eyes for us to beat him because if he sees it he's going to stop it.

The team has already shown they can score on him; he's given up 3 goals in each game, which is above his career GAA; we just have to give up either less than 4 or score more than 4 to win. One or the other.

And of course keep it at 5 on 5. The Rangers have only scored 4 even strength goals this series. We've scored 6 (counting the 4 on 4 by Orlov). As usual their PP has killed us.

I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say that too.

Time for us to actually defeat the Rangers in Raleigh. Hasn't happened since 2022. It needs to change tomorrow and Saturday.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I know I'm being a debbie downer but I like obscure stats like this... And this isn't an endorsement of any opinion. I do think the Canes can come back. Historically speaking it's just not the likely outcome. Being that the games have been so close down to 1 goal, I certainly think they're candidates for becoming one of the successful stats.

combacks.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: chaz4hockey

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I know I'm being a debbie downer but I like obscure stats like this... And this isn't an endorsement of any opinion. I do think the Canes can come back. Historically speaking it's just not the likely outcome. Being that the games have been so close down to 1 goal, I certainly think they're candidates for becoming one of the successful stats.

View attachment 867302

Rangers had a 2-0 lead on the Devils in Rd 1 last year and lost in 7 games.

I think they can come back too (have to win tomorrow to make that a possibility).

The Canes came back vs Washington after coming home down 2-0 in that series so they've been in this situation before.

Until they lose at home I'm not counting them out.

Also, knowing how close the games have been (literally we could've won both) it gives me hope, even if it's a glimmer.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Rangers had a 2-0 lead on the Devils in Rd 1 lat year and lost in 7 games.

I think they can come back too (have to win tomorrow to make that a possibility).

The Canes came back vs Washington after coming home down 2-0 in that series so they've been in this situation before.

Until they lose at home I'm not counting them out.

Yes I'm aware of all the recent cases. As I said this isn't backing up some opinion that we're statistically screwed. It's just providing data that I find interesting, and ....

1000005221.gif

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Tomorrow is like the biggest must win in the history of must wins. Since the last must win that is. Lose and Canes have a little less than a 2% chance of coming back. However based on these stats a win would put us at a 30% chance of a come back. Let's go canes.

Resiliency. They've shown it all year. Have to show it tomorrow. No excuses.

Carolina just got punched in the gut last night; time for them to punch back...hard.

I hope the Ranger fans in attendance don't drown out the Cane's fans energy because I do remember reading that a lot of Ranger fans attend the Carolina Hurricanes games at PNC.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
First time in a long time....

I watched this whole season quietly and I'll be willing to eat crow if this group manages to win the Cup but:

If that's all Brent Burns has to give in his 19th season and with possibly his last chance at winning it, it's no wonder San Jose never got over the hump.

I'll take what TDA is giving this team as a 7th defenseman over BB performance any day.

I'm not saying players don't care but I don't think Slavin, Burns Svech, and Aho haven't shown the ability to elevate their game and be clutch.

When we won in 2006, we had players who made big plays at big times.

There's no Mr Game 7 on this roster.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
First time in a long time....

I watched this whole season quietly and I'll be willing to eat crow if this group manages to win the Cup but:

If that's all Brent Burns has to give in his 19th season and with possibly his last chance at winning it, it's no wonder San Jose never got over the hump.

I'll take what TDA is giving this team as a 7th defenseman over BB performance any day.

I'm not saying players don't care but I don't think Slavin, Burns Svech, and Aho haven't shown the ability to elevate their game and be clutch.

When we won in 2006, we had players who made big plays at big times.

There's no Mr Game 7 on this roster.
No question, '06 surely had a collection of grizzled vets & winners.

I don't know if the current squad understands yet the effort/intensity required to win it all or it's simply ability versus the competition (I do see it in Jarvis). Still optimistic about the next two.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
No question, '06 surely had a collection of grizzled vets & winners.

I don't know if the current squad understands yet the effort/intensity required to win it all or it's simply ability versus the competition (I see do it in Jarvis). Still optimistic about the next two.
If we could have like 3x Jarvis on this team we'd be set!! He plays the kind of hockey you need in the playoffs, he leaves it all out there. I've seen some of it out of Guentz at times, and Aho in spurts. Svech looks like he wants to, but just can't seem to put the package together. The rest...meh? Nobody seems to really have that killer instinct, or not the skill to execute on it.

We're definitely not out, but the start of this series has been absolutely brutal to watch and come out with much optimism. It's PTSD of basically how we've gone out of the playoffs each of the past 5 years. Win tomorrow and get the momentum back, win again and take it to NYR for a best of 3 at that point. Lose tomorrow and it'd take an absolute miracle to come back. I think the number of uncertainties with the roster doesn't help, as it really could be the last year of being contenders until guys like Nikishin, Morrow, FUS, Nadeau, etc can become impactful players.

Actions. Come out tomorrow with renewed strength and resilience, come out with fire, SCORE A GODDAMN POWERPLAY GOAL just to prove you can still, and it will go a long way. Blah blah blah "President's Trophy"...Florida beat Boston last year in round 1, that shouldn't scare us

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know this is the absolute worst board to say this on but I'm not gonna lie that it would be entertaining. Boston looks pretty good against Florida, and Swayman is playing out of his mind. I'm just saying this as a long time hockey fan. That being said, f*** all that.
You’re not wrong.

But I feel any combination of Florida/Boston vs NYR/Carolina would be entertaining.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
This core has pissed away so many chances over the past several years at the chalice. No telling what next years group is even gonna look like. They better wake up and seize this moment. Not saying were not gonna make the playoffs but there are a lot of teams knocking. It's so competitive.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
This core has pissed away so many chances over the past several years at the chalice. No telling what next years group is even gonna look like. They better wake up and seize this moment. Not saying were not gonna make the playoffs but there are a lot of teams knocking. It's so competitive.
I think regardless of whether or not they dig themselves out of the hole they’ve dug, the “core” was always going to be vastly different next season, outside of Aho, Svechnikov, Jarvis and Slavin.

If they fail again, which they’re well on their way of doing, I look forward to some new faces, it’ll be needed since this will likely be this group’s last hurrah.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I know this is the absolute worst board to say this on but I'm not gonna lie that it would be entertaining. Boston looks pretty good against Florida, and Swayman is playing out of his mind. I'm just saying this as a long time hockey fan. That being said, f*** all that.

You’re not wrong.

But I feel any combination of Florida/Boston vs NYR/Carolina would be entertaining.

1715216307573.png

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Kinda odd IMO. I would assume this means they’re sticking with Freddie, would think if they were going to make a move to Pyotr they would try and get him some practice reps in.

Of all the lineup changes, the deviation from the goalie rotation which was so successful to end the season is a bit head scratcher for me. I think Freddie has been good, but not what I would call great. Not a decision I would want to have to make. Tradition says go with the hot hand, but has Freddies hand been that hot?

Hopefully we see a little hometown magic tomorrow. A PP goal early would likely go a long way in reestablishing some scoring confidence and getting some swagger back in the top six. They’re either going to have to get creative and get Igor moving side to side or grind it out in the trenches, muffins straight on from outside the circles ain’t going to get it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad