GDT: #CauseWinning: Canes @ Rongos Game 2 ("7pm" on ESPN)

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

Kinda odd IMO. I would assume this means they’re sticking with Freddie, would think if they were going to make a move to Pyotr they would try and get him some practice reps in.

Of all the lineup changes, the deviation from the goalie rotation which was so successful to end the season is a bit head scratcher for me. I think Freddie has been good, but not what I would call great. Not a decision I would want to have to make. Tradition says go with the hot hand, but has Freddies hand been that hot?

Hopefully we see a little hometown magic tomorrow. A PP goal early would likely go a long way in reestablishing some scoring confidence and getting some swagger back in the top six. They’re either going to have to get creative and get Igor moving side to side or grind it out in the trenches, muffins straight on from outside the circles ain’t going to get it done.

I think you have to look at the situation from more than one angle. Rod has said he thought Freddie played well.

In a nutshell that's really all there is to it, but also it's pretty rare for teams in the playoffs to change goalies unless they just have a shit performance. He definitely hasn't had that.

He kept them in a game through 4+ periods. That's all you need your goalie to do.

The players didn't execute when it mattered, but that's not on him. Did he steal a win? No, but I don't think that means he sits. Just my 2 cents.

Put even simpler. If the Canes get a lucky bounce in 2OT and bat it home, no one is even taking about Freddie today.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Did he explain why Koko and Noesen played less than 10 and 7 minutes respectively in a double OT game? Don’t suggest you don’t trust Kuzy right now by scratching him then play the other option so little. Trying hard to think of a reason why Noesen would play such a ridiculous amount when he’s shown he can score goals in tough areas over and over. He’d be back on pp1 for me by now.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Christ, PK is an asshole

You know now looking at this I'm starting to think Necas saw Trouba coming and ducked to get out of the way; it just looked like he slipped.

Also, I'm wondering will there be enough Canes fans at the game tonight to drain out the Ranger fans? I've been reading that the arena will be half full with Ranger fans.

Not good if that's the case.

Although you'll find fans of all teams in every arena; there were some Canes fans in NY.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
It's too bad the dumb bastard didnt break his own neck doing that. Would have been utterly hilarous, and oh such a delivery of much needed karma.

Starting to worry about Rod as a playoff coach. Clearly hes an amazing leader and regular season winner, but it feels like we are being outcoached tactically.

No skate=
No time to work on power play or penalty kill either.
Yep. Just give up. f*** it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You know now looking at this I'm starting to think Necas saw Trouba coming and ducked to get out of the way; it just looked like he slipped.

Also, I'm wondering will there be enough Canes fans at the game tonight to drain out the Ranger fans? I've been reading that the arena will be half full with Ranger fans.

Not good if that's the case.

Although you'll find fans of all teams in every arena; there were some Canes fans in NY.
Arena will be like 10% Rags fans. But they'll get their photo op in the pregame skate where they all.consolidate in the lower bowl to make it look like a complete takeover on social media

Starting to worry about Rod as a playoff coach. Clearly hes an amazing leader and regular season winner, but it feels like we are being outcoached tactically.
We are on a 6 game losing streak in the playoffs to coaches who Brindy played for here in Carolina. I genuinely don't know if that means anything, but it is frustrating to see coaches we fired kicking our ass like this.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Did he explain why Koko and Noesen played less than 10 and 7 minutes respectively in a double OT game? Don’t suggest you don’t trust Kuzy right now by scratching him then play the other option so little. Trying hard to think of a reason why Noesen would play such a ridiculous amount when he’s shown he can score goals in tough areas over and over. He’d be back on pp1 for me by now.
And the only way they were beating Igor the other night was a tip or something dirty around the net. Y’know the thing the guy on the bench is pretty damn good at.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It's too bad the dumb bastard didnt break his own neck doing that. Would have been utterly hilarous, and oh such a delivery of much needed karma.
Probably would have insisted Necas answer the bell for such a dirty hit injuring their defenseman...especially since Aho still hasn't answered for his brutal murder attempt on Fox!!

Yea, this is my worry. He's a great coach for regular season when the individual game doesn't matter and you just need to win the majority by out-working your opponents. Sticking to "your game" works when you're playing a lot of different opponents. But every year we hit the exact same brick wall in the playoffs of special teams and adjusting tactics so we're not so goddamn f***ing predictable with everything we do...if he can't do it on his own we need to get him some support staff to help, because the current cohort clearly isn't worth shit in that sense either.

Reactions: Francis10

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Yesterday on Ovies & Giglio, Wysh was a guest and they discussed the series. Denoting how finishing ability and strategy/game plans are the ultimate differentiators in this series to outsiders. Wysh is covering the Rangers for the series and said their practice prep work was intense including re-enacting everything that the Canes do. Thus, Trocheck's OT quip about "sticking to the plan and not going off script."

It was an interesting discussion. They discussed how in a "mature hockey market" that Rod and some of our players would be in the "hot seat" so speak due to underwhelming post-season results to date given their regular seasons. Wysh said he understands the legacy and how the history aspect is unique for the Canes org, but asked if RBA is allowed to ever be critiqued and judged as other coaches are? Ovies said that if he left for a new job or whatever, a primary issue would be finding anyone who would want to work for our owner and all that entails. Ovies touched on how Tripp and Mike couldn't go to MSG to cover the games implying $.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Yesterday on Ovies & Giglio, Wysh was a guest and they discussed the series. Denoting how finishing ability and strategy/game plans are the ultimate differentiators in this series to outsiders. Wysh is covering the Rangers for the series and said their practice prep work was intense including re-enacting everything that the Canes do. Thus, Trocheck's OT quip about "sticking to the plan and not going off script."

It was an interesting discussion. They discussed how in a "mature hockey market" that Rod and some of our players would be in the "hot seat" so speak due to underwhelming post-season results to date given their regular seasons. Wysh said he understands the legacy and how the history aspect is unique for the Canes org, but asked if RBA is allowed to ever be critiqued and judged as other coaches are? Ovies said that if he left for a new job or whatever, a primary issue would be finding anyone who would want to work for our owner and all that entails. He touched on how Tripp and Mike couldn't go to MSG to cover the games implying $.
Espn guy saying the canes are cheap, who would have guessed?

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021

It was an interesting discussion. They discussed how in a "mature hockey market" that Rod and some of our players would be in the "hot seat" so speak due to underwhelming post-season results to date given their regular seasons. Wysh said he understands the legacy and how the history aspect is unique for the Canes org, but asked if RBA is allowed to ever be critiqued and judged as other coaches are? Ovies said that if he left for a new job or whatever, a primary issue would be finding anyone who would want to work for our owner and all that entails. He touched on how Tripp and Mike couldn't go to MSG to cover the games implying $.
Yeah, the fact that they were able to pull that off and it be obvious to everyone except the ones that could do something about it is the main reason for my angst.
Losing is a fact of life but losing because of mental maturity should not be happening to this experienced playoff team. Hang that on what you want but Lavi figured it out.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

It was an interesting discussion. They discussed how in a "mature hockey market" that Rod and some of our players would be in the "hot seat" so speak due to underwhelming post-season results to date given their regular seasons. Wysh said he understands the legacy and how the history aspect is unique for the Canes org, but asked if RBA is allowed to ever be critiqued and judged as other coaches are? Ovies said that if he left for a new job or whatever, a primary issue would be finding anyone who would want to work for our owner and all that entails. Ovies touched on how Tripp and Mike couldn't go to MSG to cover the games implying $.
Why would Tripp and Mike travel to MSG when the NHL doesn't allow local TV broadcasts after the 1st round? Sure, you have radio, but that doesn't seem like a wise expenditure for the maybe 200 people who are listening and not watching

The hockey media have a very odd obsession over the expenses of a franchise who spends to the cap every year and has bought a player from Montreal and a 1ast round pick from Toronto for a combined $14m. The amount of criticism and heat Dundon gets for being cheap doesn't at all align with his actual spending, there seems to be something else at play here.

Reactions: Lempo

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Why would Tripp and Mike travel to MSG when the NHL doesn't allow local TV broadcasts after the 1st round? Sure, you have radio, but that doesn't seem like a wise expenditure for the maybe 200 people who are listening and not watching

The hockey media have a very odd obsession over the expenses of a franchise who spends to the cap every year and has bought a player from Montreal and a 1ast round pick from Toronto for a combined $14m. The amount of criticism and heat Dundon gets for being cheap doesn't at all align with his actual spending, there seems to be something else at play here.
It wasn't a money discussion at all..more like how it's a complex situation with the ownership Everyone isn't out to get us. Wysh is quite fair about the Canes to me.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
Wyshinski is a clown and so are Ovies and Giglio. I remember listening to Wyshinski on Boomer's show on NHL radio and I've never heard someone so quick to be dismissive of another person's line of questioning or ideas. He couldn't handle the possibility that his opinion could be challenged. Every interview was cringe-inducing. Ovies and Giglio - come on. I couldn't give two shits if our radio announcers are actually at the game. And I'm sorry, the idea that we've had "underwhelming" post-season results is just a trash hot take. Six straight first round series wins, two conference finals appearances. GTFOH. Winning the Stanley Cup is hard. If it wasn't, the Rangers and all their big spending would have more than one in the last 85 years.

We all know, from experience, that Lavi's star burns white hot for about three seasons and then he burns everyone out and he gets booted. The Rangers made the call to hire him and he's doing exactly what he's done at every stop. They are a good hockey team and he's put the spurs to them. He did it for us and got us a Cup and I'm appreciative. But he did nothing for the long-term stability of this franchise and isn't going to make the Rangers perennial Cup contenders. He will be out of there in another two seaons. Rod, on the other hand, has done exactly that.

At some point, he won't be the coach. And I don't look forward to needing to find a new one. But the idea that "ooo you got an involved owner that watches the spending nobody gonna wanna work for him" is just the right amount of stupid to make me angry enough to respond. There's 32 of these jobs. Half of them make the playoffs. Half of those have the quality of players we do. There would be zero issue finding a good coach. Does it mean we wouldn't get one of the overused retreads that keep getting jobs and getting fired because of Dundon? Maybe, but that's fine with me because most of those guys haven't done shit either.

We might get swept. If we do, it isn't because we don't have "mental toughness" or "the will to win". It's because the breaks didn't go our way. We've lost two games by one goal. Nobody's stomping a mudhole in this team. We aren't gonna stomp a mudhole in the Rangers. We have to play the games like we have been and hope the hockey gods are on our side.

We got a good-ass hockey team and a good-ass coach. How quickly we forgot 2006 through f***ing 2018. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: weasel66 and Lempo

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
They just have to take it game by game. Tonight they have to show they can win at home, and honestly if they can score a power play goal. The first goal would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm tired of playing from behind vs the Rangers. They've scored the first goal of the game the last 3 games (including the regular season).

We need to stop chasing the game against them.

I know we had the lead a couple of times in game 2 but we had to chase the game since they scored first.

Reactions: Borsig

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Wyshinski is a clown and so are Ovies and Giglio. I remember listening to Wyshinski on Boomer's show on NHL radio and I've never heard someone so quick to be dismissive of another person's line of questioning or ideas. He couldn't handle the possibility that his opinion could be challenged. Every interview was cringe-inducing. Ovies and Giglio - come on. I couldn't give two shits if our radio announcers are actually at the game. And I'm sorry, the idea that we've had "underwhelming" post-season results is just a trash hot take. Six straight first round series wins, two conference finals appearances. GTFOH. Winning the Stanley Cup is hard. If it wasn't, the Rangers and all their big spending would have more than one in the last 85 years.

We all know, from experience, that Lavi's star burns white hot for about three seasons and then he burns everyone out and he gets booted. The Rangers made the call to hire him and he's doing exactly what he's done at every stop. They are a good hockey team and he's put the spurs to them. He did it for us and got us a Cup and I'm appreciative. But he did nothing for the long-term stability of this franchise and isn't going to make the Rangers perennial Cup contenders. He will be out of there in another two seaons. Rod, on the other hand, has done exactly that.

At some point, he won't be the coach. And I don't look forward to needing to find a new one. But the idea that "ooo you got an involved owner that watches the spending nobody gonna wanna work for him" is just the right amount of stupid to make me angry enough to respond. There's 32 of these jobs. Half of them make the playoffs. Half of those have the quality of players we do. There would be zero issue finding a good coach. Does it mean we wouldn't get one of the overused retreads that keep getting jobs and getting fired because of Dundon? Maybe, but that's fine with me because most of those guys haven't done shit either.

We might get swept. If we do, it isn't because we don't have "mental toughness" or "the will to win". It's because the breaks didn't go our way. We've lost two games by one goal. Nobody's stomping a mudhole in this team. We aren't gonna stomp a mudhole in the Rangers. We have to play the games like we have been and hope the hockey gods are on our side.

We got a good-ass hockey team and a good-ass coach. How quickly we forgot 2006 through f***ing 2018. Enjoy the ride.
FWIW: Canes are the only team remaining in the playoffs that doesn't have a pre or post game show. Don't want to fund travel due to National ownership of games, got it.

But not to spend for the shows is penny pinching and more importantly not good for the fan base/supporting the brand.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
FWIW: Canes are the only team remaining in the playoffs that doesn't have a pre or post game show. Don't want to fund travel due to National ownership of games, got it.

But not to spend for the shows is penny pinching and more importantly not good for the fan base/supporting the brand.
We've got pre and post game radio shows. I cannot imagine how awful viewership numbers would be for pre and postgame shows on Ballys and I personally don't think the lack of such shows has any impact at all on the brand or the fan base.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We've got pre and post game radio shows. I cannot imagine how awful viewership numbers would be for pre and postgame shows on Ballys and I personally don't think the lack of such shows has any impact at all on the brand or the fan base.
Quite frankly, this

As much as I love the Canes, even if I had Ballys, its unlikely I would flip over after watching the game on ESPN. To be brutally honest, I'm lazy and that's a lot of effort at that time of day, especially when it means dealing with the Bally app bullshit.

If the Canes could split from Bally and possibly get everything on their own channel or even with WRAL, I could see a return of the pre and postgame shows, because it would have a large audience. But with Bally? I get it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad