Post-Game Talk: Cats 4, Pens 3 (shootout)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know what Scuderi is doing there, maybe he thought the puck was going behind the net, but the goal isn't his fault, the goal is on whoever those 2 pens players are right next to Hayes, Hayes should't be standing right next to net without somebody knocking him down or at least tie up his stick.

When Geno took the puck to the net and scored his goal you at least had somebody knock him down from Florida, pens did nothing at all to Hayes on that goal.

Hayes is about 8 inches taller and God Knows how much heavier than Pouliot. His arms are longer. As I said in my rant, mutants like him are mostly immune to getting knocked on his ass or having his stick tied up, unless you've got Chara or something.

When the size difference is that much, you need to stop the puck from getting to him in that position. Once someone that much bigger has it that close to the net, forget it.

giroux-cmon.gif

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I like the spunk the team showed in forcing this game to a shootout. I think they can continue to build off of a game like this.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Well ya, because he's the only vet on defense aside from Letang left standing.

Despres aside, the rest of the young blueliners have a combined 11 games of NHL experience.

I will take the 11 games of the young D inexperience in the NHL any day over Scuds great Bad bad experience. Scud was atrocious last night. So called experience does not cover up bad play.

And in the OT, Letang was dominant.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I will take the 11 games of the young D inexperience in the NHL any day over Scuds great Bad bad experience. Scud was atrocious last night. So called experience does not cover up bad play.

And in the OT, Letang was dominant.

He really was.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think call-ups are allowed under 'emergency conditions' during the freeze. So, I am not sure but I don't think you can send a guy down and call someone else back up just because the first guy is struggling and the second guy is red-hot in the AHL. But for injuries you can make call-ups.

At least I think that's how it works.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hayes is about 8 inches taller and God Knows how much heavier than Pouliot. His arms are longer. As I said in my rant, mutants like him are mostly immune to getting knocked on his ass or having his stick tied up, unless you've got Chara or something.

When the size difference is that much, you need to stop the puck from getting to him in that position. Once someone that much bigger has it that close to the net, forget it.

giroux-cmon.gif

Even if DP can't move him or tie up his stick he has to at least try, he can't just watch him.

We see Horny get knocked down multiple times around the net every game, that's what def are suppose to do, to the pens credit i think they have been better around the net this year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Even if DP can't move him or tie up his stick he has to at least try, he can't just watch him.

We see Horny get knocked down multiple times around the net every game, that's what def are suppose to do, to the pens credit i think they have been better around the net this year.

I've not been real crazy about what I've seen from DP away from the puck or in his own zone (either now or in the WJCs), but once a guy like Hayes gets body position on him--and a Deryk Pouliot isn't capable of stopping a Hayes from getting body position--the only play DP has is to hope he can get the puck or knock it to the corner. Which he's trying to do in the screenshot.

Trying to tie up Hayes/Staal, when you're Pouliot/Giroux, is going to be futile.

You mentioned Malkin driving to the net and getting knocked down. Want to say that was Mitchell who did that. Mitchell's almost the exact same size as Geno. He isn't giving up 7 or 8 inches.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Didn't I say that?

No, you didn't say that, actually.

Also, what does that say about the shaky confidence the coaching staff has in message board messiah Despres?

It doesn't say anything. It just shows that most coaches will lean heavily on the only vets they have left in this type of situation. Despres is the only young guy not being paired with a vet. What's that tell you?

Last night also once again showed us that Scuds looks like ass when he doesn't have Despres to babysit him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad