Post-Game Talk: Cats 4, Pens 3 (shootout)

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
hqdefault.jpg

Edit: catS

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Eh a banged up Pens team got a point. This means more to the Panthers. I hope Comeau is ok

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Meh, whatever. Rather lose in regulation and have a healthy Comeau, to be honest.

Team needs the break. 3 days won't be enough.

penguins2946*

+Pouliot is our best OFD
+Harrington is our best DFD
+Despres is our best 2-way D

-We can't stay healthy
-Our forward group sucks offensively outside of Sid, Hornqvist and Geno with Comeau out

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
It felt so wrong early in the season when we "only" had a banged up Malkin, a slightly injured Bortuzzo and a cancer patient to show for inury-wise. It's becoming a much more familiar situation now.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
MAF deserved better from the guys in front of him. Sid and Geno barely tried on the SO attempts.

This is prolly his only shot at a Vezina nom and every win counts.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+ Played a good road game for the first half

+ Got a point on a Florida trip. Seems like that was rare in years past

+ Geno, Pouliot

Difficult to be upset about our play with this many guys out and we went all the way to a shootout

Rant incoming

-Dead Puck Era

Tale note of how the game was called. All hooks were legal. Holding the stick was legal. Holding was legal. Bodychecking away from the puck was legal.

We’ve slowly been inching back to the same standard as the Dead Puck era. Tonight was indistinguishable from a game in 2002.

For those who weren’t around for the last Dead Puck Era or just don’t remember, the profile of the types of players who are effective is not the same as it was from 2005-2012ish. Those smallish fancy stickhandlers and “skilled playmakers†at wing, who can dance guys one on one that people pine for (Hemsky, Rattie, Baertschi etc), short of a talent on the level of a Pat Kane, are obsolete in a DPE. Of zero value.

The types of players that thrive in a DPE are the brutes. Not even tough guys. Just guys that are big or strong enough that a hook isn’t enough to knock them off balance.

Notice Geno’s goal. No tic tac toe. Just took his big frame to the tender’s feet and nobody was strong enough to stop him.

Take notes on Jimmy Hayes, too--who I’ve been wanting us to acquire for more than a year. He’s got bottom end third line skill at best. I’d describe him as somewhat soft. In a game of shinny with Nail Yakupov and Ty Rattie, he would never touch the puck. But he nearly had a hat trick.

This is because his 6’7 frame is ideal for a game that’s called like this one is. Hooking his stick isn’t going to stop him from getting a shot off. And if he hooks you, you’re not going anywhere.

Pens need size and strength in any acquisition, first and foremost. Next is speed. Then brains. Then finish. Then grit.

If a guy that has some combination of those things is also capable of pretty passes or fancypants bull **** stickhandling, fine, but that’s dead last on the list of things Rutherford shuld be looking for in a “top six†wing.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Felt like the pens got badly outplayed by Florida these past 2 games, but half there lineup is out with injuries, and they still managed 3 points, you can't really complain much.

So what's the recovery time for a broken wrist? 2 or 3 months?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
This.Team.Is.SOOOOOOFFFFFFFFF!!! ANOTHER injury..team is so soft. Can't last 1 game. Like seriously, it's not THIS hard to not get injured.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Nice to get a point, but I don't know how much they'll have in the tank for tomorrow. I didn't think Harrington had a good game. Dumoulin was better than last game. I thought DP was OK.

- Pens may have to forage the Solar Bears or Everblades for warm bodies who can skate for tomorrow's game.

penguins2946*

Nice to get a point, but I don't know how much they'll have in the tank for tomorrow. I didn't think Harrington had a good game. Dumoulin was better than last game. I thought DP was OK.

- Pens may have to forage the Solar Bears or Everblades for warm bodies who can skate for tomorrow's game.

What? That's just blatantly incorrect...

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ this ragtag team rallied got a point.

= the shootout. after letang shot, each shooter was a surprise (who is johnston going with? huh. hornqvist? okay then)

crosby has no puck luck right now.

hopefully comeau isn't injured.

penguins2946*

To the people that are mad that the Pens lost in a shootout, will 1 point in late December when the Pens are 1st in the league make any difference for us later in the season?

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Scott Harrington is a really slow skater. So is Maatta. Must be a London thing.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
To the people that are mad that the Pens lost in a shootout, will 1 point in late December when the Pens are 1st in the league make any difference for us later in the season?

It hopefully will mean that Boston won't get a WC spot.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Completely serious.

I'm one of those terrible fans who wants the players on his favorite team to win awards. I know it's crazy.

No. You should want the team to just win games and show progress. We got your point around the 5th time you mentioned MAF deserved better in a shootout that doesn't exist when the playoffs start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad