Confirmed with Link: Casey Nelson re-signs (2yrs, AAV $812.5k)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Tennyson might legitimately be the organization's No. 11 defenseman expected to be under contract (Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Bogo, Pilut, McCabe, Beaulieu, Nelson, Borgen, Fedun).

Thank God.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tennyson might legitimately be the organization's No. 11 defenseman expected to be under contract (Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Bogo, Pilut, McCabe, Beaulieu, Nelson, Borgen, Fedun).

Thank God.

#11 in the depth chart
#1 in Phil’s heart

Reactions: gallagt01

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Good for Nelson, he showed a lot of poise and development with his time up in Rochester. With the glut of LD all of a sudden it was definitely important to keep one of our players in house. He should be up all year!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Good. He earned it. Glad he didn't just walk for nothing to become a competent starter elsewhere (see: Ruhwedel). Can't overstate the importance of unspectacular but solidly competent bottom pairing talent. Aside from depth, all we really need on the defense is one top-4 option. #1 offseason target. Get that, the offseason is a success.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Thank God.

Beaulieu, Bogosian, will not be on the opening night card. I truly do believe they will be among the players out the door. Fedun as well as Tennyson belongs in the AHL all season.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
good signing, we'll need players like nelson in case someone gets hurt... and a little competition for those 3rd pair minutes never hurt anyone

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
(obviously Nelson is the RHD backup plan in case Dahlin won't sign in BUF)

True story: My wife's great-grandfather's last name was Nelson. When he went into the Swedish army for his military service, the inducting officer said there were too many Nelsons, so he made him choose a new different (Swedish) last name, which has remained the family last name to this day. When my wife learned that story, she gave her first son the middle name Nelson to commemorate/preserve that legacy.
Did you go with Nilsson or Nelson?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Hopefully he continues his play he showed on the main roster, and doesn’t regress like last season(16-17)

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Well, I like this signing a lot, he kept on progressing since he signed his initial deal, and that's pretty good considering I don't think he has peaked yet.

But I still want Antipin back, put him in Rochester and let him get some seasoning playing the North American game. I don't think he is a lost cause by any stretch, he could at the very least become a very good trade chip at some point.

And Beaulieu, I'm not ready to give up on him yet either, but for a completely different reason. I want to see him on the 4th line wing. Look, he can skate above average and with the puck no less. He isn't afraid to get in the front of the net to disrupt either, and the Sabres have a need for more players that are willing to do that. He will fight, more than I can say for some. And the best part of this is that that gives us a built in 7th d man in case someone goes down early in a game. He has a decent shot, a d Housley can certainly teach him how to play that winger/dman roll. So for a year left on his contract and we know that no one is going to give much for him. Put him somewhere he might be useful, he can't be any worse than Nolan!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Having a young #6/7 dman signed for 6 figures per is always a good move. Botterill should focus on moving Bogosian and acquiring one last top 4 dman to complete our blue line for the next 5+ years...so far this off season has been ideal.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Didn't Botteril plainly state late this season that he envisions Guhle-Nelson as his bottom pair next season?

Either way, I love the legit competition they'll have at the position next year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Didn't Botteril plainly state late this season that he envisions Guhle-Nelson as his bottom pair next season?

Either way, I love the legit competition they'll have at the position next year.
Yes. He said he liked their work, but thought it was unfortunate they had to play in a bigger role than he liked. He added he envisions them in a "lesser role" next season. Presumably that lesser role is a third pairing role.

Reactions: joshjull

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Hopefully Pilut is next, and we have eight NHL quality D-men...

...Bwahahahahaha of course that's a joke! Bogosian doesn't even play anymore, let alone in the NHL...

Pilut will still need some heavy development time in the AHL before he's in the NHL. I think it's more hopeful that we get Antipin back to play on the bottom pair. If Bogosian is bought out then we find someone on a 1 year filler spot while we wait on Borgen and a few others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad