Weekes: Casey Mittelstadt "drawing a lot of attention"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
.908 sv% = not very good.
11-10-2 = not very good.

1) For goalies >=25 starts. .908 is tied for 11th best in the NHL.
2) Goalies SV% is highly team dependent. Buffalo has the 9th WORST xGA/60 of any team in the NHL (all situations). They aren't good defensively.
3) Yes, there will always be 1/2 of the starters in the NHL that are below average. They are still "Starters" though.

I'm not a Sabres fan and am not saying UPL is great or anything, only commenting on your statement that his numbers today aren't consistent with a starter. They are.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
2) Goalies SV% is highly team dependent. Buffalo has the 9th WORST xGA/60 of any team in the NHL (all situations). They aren't good defensively.
3) Yes, there will always be 1/2 of the starters in the NHL that are below average. They are still "Starters" though.

I'm not a Sabres fan and am not saying UPL is great or anything, only commenting on your statement that his numbers today aren't consistent with a starter. They are.

If you look at his quality start %, which factors in the xGA on shots faced, UPL is one of the top goalies in the NHL in that metric. He hasn't even just been a below average starter quality goalie this year; he's been outright GOOD. Anyone who's pointing the finger at him for the team's record (rather than the coach's decision to keep feeding starts to a clearly not ready Levi, or the awful special teams, and the ongoing lack of coherent defensive system, or...well, almost anyone else involved with the team) is just out of touch with this season's reality.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If you look at his quality start %, which factors in the xGA on shots faced, UPL is one of the top goalies in the NHL in that metric. He hasn't even just been a below average starter quality goalie this year; he's been outright GOOD. Anyone who's pointing the finger at him for the team's record (rather than the coach's decision to keep feeding starts to a clearly not ready Levi, or the awful special teams, and the ongoing lack of coherent defensive system, or...well, almost anyone else involved with the team) is just out of touch with this season's reality.
Here's a stat....908 sv% and 11-11-2.
That's a bad stat and I don't give a shit what the average is .908 sv% isn't good.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
UPL goals saved above expected is 2.4 for 33rd place in the league.
That's a great starter.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Our backup has better stats.
Your point is still the dumbest point ever, and totally wrong. Someone posted proof and you retort with this line....the double-downing on the stupid.

Hey, if you're happy with a starting goalie with a sv% of .908, good on you.
Some teams/people have higher expectations.
The teams that everyone is saying will win the cup have worse stats. Once your brain gets a few more wrinkles, the point will hopefully land with you.

• Haha
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

i see you’re a strict numbers guy and that’s all that matters. Context means nothing to you.

You poll Sabres fans and I guarantee 90% plus are happy with UPL’s performance this season.

And with very good reason.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
UPL has had 2 or 3 stinker games that seriously impact those stats. .866 GAA in December is the culprit. January save % is .947 (7 games).

Reactions: dire wolf

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Your point is still the dumbest point ever, and totally wrong. Someone posted proof and you retort with this line....the double-downing on the stupid.

The teams that everyone is saying will win the cup have worse stats. Once your brain gets a few more wrinkles, the point will hopefully land with you.
Which teams are everyone saying will win the cup?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
i see you’re a strict numbers guy and that’s all that matters. Context means nothing to you.

You poll Sabres fans and I guarantee 90% plus are happy with UPL’s performance this season.

And with very good reason.
Buffalo is sucking (again) and they are happy with their goalie? Nothing new.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
We watch the games (well, as much as we can tolerate of this uninspired bunch). Most of us have witnessed long periods of incredible goalie play, as we were spoiled by both Dominik Hasek and Ryan Miller for many years. The Sabres have needed consistent goalie play for an eternity, and now that we have a solitary player that is providing it, we feel compelled to defend him.

That's it. There is a solid consensus. If you want to disagree, go ahead. I would tell you to watch some more Sabres hockey, but I worry about being brought up on a crimes of war tribunal for suggesting it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The GM should have brought in a starter and let Levi play in the minors with UPL as a backup for at least a year. He is blowing a season of some very good players by not doing that.

To keep in on topic, the Jets will gladly take Mitts.

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Bad teams have good goalies all the time, what the hell is your point here?

On topic: The dam has to break for Buffalo eventually in regards to the number of young, similarly talented forwards they have. Whether that will, or should, start with Casey I don't know. His dogged determination and ability to be successful with whatever linemates is pretty unique. I would really only entertain a trade if it brings back a similar age, top-4 defenseman.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

On topic: The dam has to break for Buffalo eventually in regards to the number of young, similarly talented forwards they have. Whether that will, or should, start with Casey I don't know. His dogged determination and ability to be successful with whatever linemates is pretty unique. I would really only entertain a trade if it brings back a similar age, top-4 defenseman.
I think he's a great young player.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yes, those teams are above average and have above average expectations. Which again, requires you to acknowledge the average...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Also..UPL started this year at 24 yrs old. Most starters don’t emerge until 24+.
The GM should have brought in a starter and let Levi play in the minors with UPL as a backup for at least a year. He is blowing a season of some very good players by not doing that.

To keep in on topic, the Jets will gladly take Mitts.
I thought Levi should have gone down to AHL and be thr starter.

uPL was was ready to play more games nd he has en playing well.

no legit starter is going to sign a 1-2 yr contract.

UPL is 24 and Levi is 21. No need to go find a big nsme goalie.

Buffalo isn’t giving Mitts away.

a target would be top 4 RD who is 22-25 yr old age range. Thr player does not have to be a 1/2 D. A solid middle pair who is more defense sound. Jokiharju who they have is more offensive/ PMD.

I can see a trade of Mitts/ Cozens + Jokiharju + Krebs for aD first RD and a bigger size winger. Not necessarily in the same trade.

come 2025 or 2026 summer is when some of thr prospects now get moved, likely for picks/ prospects/ early ELCcplayers.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Mittelstadt seems to have more success with zone entry with the puck than most of the other Sabres-or so it seems. I have not the ability or the desire to scour through charts!

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Mittelstadt seems to have more success with zone entry with the puck than most of the other Sabres-or so it seems. I have not the ability or the desire to scour through charts!
Typically Tuch/Thompson/Cozens are the best with controlled zone entry. Peterka's blazing speed gets D to back off. Not sure about Mitts, my immediate thought is maybe top 5 on the team. I only look at charts people post not much for digging around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad