Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald on waivers, claimed by Florida

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope he figures it out. Wonder what could have been had Botts and Covid not ruined his pro development.

Botts collection of RHD that pushed him to the wing remains one of those head scratching things.

I would not be surprised if Casey is back in the same fashion that Wolanin was with LA before the end of the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great kid but maybe a blessing in disguise he got claimed, I did not like his NHL game at all, and our coaches/management were very reluctant to put him on waivers.

Could be - him having been another of Granato's NTDP guys also is a thing to consider in them dragging this on. The staff liked him and he did things no one else on the team willingly would do in terms of throwing hands and being a pest. But his reads are still what hold him back and that likely isn't going to change at his age. I was hoping he would plug in with Rochester since he took a step there late last year offensively.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
If you really read what he wrote, you would understand that his comments were about more than just Casey Fitzgerald. I think he has a point, so I'm not sure why the snark was necessary.

He has a point but the outrage over people not liking a crappy player and being happy he was waived on a message board seems contrived. We don't need a think piece about his family and his history or to feel shocked in general.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
That sucks. I hate losing depth.
Never found his game, then the one thing he was good at, toughness and edge disappeared (to try and stay healthy perhaps ?).

I wonder if they get a shot at guys like Bear, and Reilly again this season? Doubted.

More of an argument to make a deal now?

Reactions: Der Jaeger

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
He has a point but the outrage over people not liking a crappy player and being happy he was waived on a message board seems contrived. We don't need a think piece about his family and his history or to feel shocked in general.
I think you're making much more of this than it needs, and I should point out that you took the time to write a snarky reply. I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
IDK, would Appert want Fitz or not? Either way, normally you don't want your guys picked off on waivers. I would've waived Bryson because his contract is less appealing, but in the big picture it doesn't matter a whole lot.
I think Bryson’s contract keeps him from getting claimed. I don‘t think they’d want to waive him. Warts and all he’s still no worse than our 7

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We did it!!!

That was only wish part 1.

Part 2 is that Adams stops worrying about his 7-9 D and worries about a top 4 D to push everyone else down.
After losing Fitz on waivers he'll never add another defender. Too scared of having to send someone down.

Reactions: Jacob582

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Told you so…..

Every Sabres fan thinks the entire league is clamouring to grab our junk 6,7,8 guys Bryson, Fitzgerald and Clague. None of them are bonafide NHLers. Bryson love should have worn thin by now.
No

RHD is hard to come by. Given his sge ( just ending ELC) and salary he’d get claimed over a player thry could have signed themselves in the off season

if he was a LD he’d likely clear

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
IDK, would Appert want Fitz or not? Either way, normally you don't want your guys picked off on waivers. I would've waived Bryson because his contract is less appealing, but in the big picture it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Appert had nothing but praise for Fitz last year, especially in the playoff run. I would imagine having a scrappy RHD who can play in all situations would be welcome, even with Prow already there.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Well, some of you got your wish. Claimed by the Panthers.
And there you go. To me this is a clear asset mismanagement by KA. They did not have to lose this player when they could have just sent Quinn, JJP, or Krebs down. It also highlights for me an issue with KA not finding a trade to relieve the issue. Claiming Jost, which was absolutely a good move, added a contract into the NHL team that was not accounted for in the original plan. So, KA has had since that claim, to make a trade to unclog the pipeline. He hasn't gotten that done.

Unforced error here.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
And there you go. To me this is a clear asset mismanagement by KA. They did not have to lose this player when they could have just sent Quinn, JJP, or Krebs down. It also highlights for me an issue with KA not finding a trade to relieve the issue. Claiming Jost, which was absolutely a good move, added a contract into the NHL team that was not accounted for in the original plan. So, KA has had since that claim, to make a trade to unclog the pipeline. He hasn't gotten that done.

Unforced error here.
I think if we view it from a big picture standpoint, they were going to have to waive a defender with Joker back, as they weren't going to carry 8 and keep Quinn or Peterka in the minors.

So really the only way this turns into an avoidable error would have been if one of the D were injured last night.

I don't believe there is a gm currently in the league that would give up any value for Fitzgerald or Bryson, so the options were pretty limited.

More often than not, guys like Fitzgerald are temporary claims for teams struggling with injuries, and are back on waivers and end up back with their original organization in a couple of weeks, so we can't assume that he won't end up back in the fold in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad