Confirmed with Link: Casey Fitzgerald on waivers, claimed by Florida

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Man, this fan base has become brutal.

It's clear Fitzgerald is not good enough for the NHL right now, he struggles with his decisions, both with the puck on his stick in his own end, and on aggressive pinching at the wrong time, but no one can say that the kid didn't really try.

He gave his all and just wasn't up to the task. Maybe he can get a reset in the AHL and learn to simplify his game. Learn to read for the safety outlet pass instead of trying to force things. Learn to play safe and that his role as a depth D is keeping the puck out of your own net, and not so much creating chances at the other end.

I think he has the heart, and if he can learn that "smart and safe" is his path to a fulltime 6/7 in the league, he could eventually be a positive contributor.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Don’t know for sure that he will clear but really doesn’t matter. They needed to waive one. He got a fair shot. If he does get claimed then it opens a spot for a future move

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Fitz isn't an NHL player and was thrown to the wolves when we got hit with the injury bug. Not sure what's with all the sour messages just because he got exposed playing in the top 4. Not like he's a bad guy, weird to be so aggressive towards him in regards to him being sent down.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I don't understand why they did both this move AND sitting Quinn and Peterka. Could have sent JJP and Quinn to Rochester for Wednesday Amerk game without send Fitz thru waivers.

In the end, he likely makes it, but still. Didn't have to yet. To me you don't do it until you have to. A trade or injury keeps things clear.

That said, if they have an idea who is dead weight (call me Kevin), then lets get trading them for bags of pucks to create space for better players sooner rather than later.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Fingers crossed he gets claimed so there's no chance of ever having to watch him sabotage a Sabres game again. Just awful awful player

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I think I need a break, or at least a drink, here.

The nastiness and vitriol that some have expressed as a player is waived is not something I understand at all. For a player to have made it to the level where they are AHL level, borderline NHL level, or NHL level irrespective where they stand among the players on a team means that the are among the best hockey players in the world. They have given their heart and soul to succeeding at this game, not to mention the sacrifice, in many cases, that their families have made to see them get this far. Sometimes they are close and have the desire and right attitude, but simply don't have the talent and ability to play at the NHL level - and there is nothing wrong with respectfully acknowledging that fact.

So this player - Casey Fitzgerald - who has been trying his entire life to make it to the NHL level might be falling short - and some board members, who are "hockey fans" seem to take some sadistic pleasure in watching this unfold. It's one of the things I hate most about hockey. How we can't simply acknowledge that not everyone has the ability to to play effectively at the highest level, and instead gain pleasure at this shortfall and garner enjoyment and self-satisfaction out of mocking them as they fall short, get waived, and sent down is beyond my comprehension and sense of hockey fandom.

I love hockey. I love being a Sabres fan. I love decency and respect. And I hate this.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Agree,

But also how about the fact that he has actually looked very good at times in the NHL, so the comments are not only mean spirited, but also just not accurate.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Could see him as a 7 on a really stacked defense. Think he clears.

Every Sabres fan thinks the entire league is clamouring to grab our junk 6,7,8 guys Bryson, Fitzgerald and Clague. None of them are bonafide NHLers. Bryson love should have worn thin by now.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Every Sabres fan thinks the entire league is clamouring to grab our junk 6,7,8 guys Bryson, Fitzgerald and Clague. None of them are bonafide NHLers. Bryson love should have worn thin by now.
Its true that we do tend to overvalue our own. Also, it has been so long since the Sabres fans have seen average or better NHL play, that good AHL players look like valuable bottom six and bottom pairing players to us. But....they're not.

I think Bryson or Clague could go the other way as a roster spot replacement, especially in a trade that brings us a defenseman from a rebuilding team that wants to lose. Bryson would make a great tank commander.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I think I need a break, or at least a drink, here.

The nastiness and vitriol that some have expressed as a player is waived is not something I understand at all. For a player to have made it to the level where they are AHL level, borderline NHL level, or NHL level irrespective where they stand among the players on a team means that the are among the best hockey players in the world. They have given their heart and soul to succeeding at this game, not to mention the sacrifice, in many cases, that their families have made to see them get this far. Sometimes they are close and have the desire and right attitude, but simply don't have the talent and ability to play at the NHL level - and there is nothing wrong with respectfully acknowledging that fact.

So this player - Casey Fitzgerald - who has been trying his entire life to make it to the NHL level might be falling short - and some board members, who are "hockey fans" seem to take some sadistic pleasure in watching this unfold. It's one of the things I hate most about hockey. How we can't simply acknowledge that not everyone has the ability to to play effectively at the highest level, and instead gain pleasure at this shortfall and garner enjoyment and self-satisfaction out of mocking them as they fall short, get waived, and sent down is beyond my comprehension and sense of hockey fandom.

I love hockey. I love being a Sabres fan. I love decency and respect. And I hate this.

Edited for spelling

Thank heavens the White Knight has arrived for Casey Fitzgerald.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad