Injury Report: Casey Cizikas on IR and recall Ross Johnston from BPT

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
From reading that the isles continued to stress the simple play to JHS, while he continued to overplay the puck, making turnovers that led to dangerous scoring chances for the opposition.

JHS has shown he can put up points at the nhl level.He was not demoted because he was an offensive hole dragging his line down.
While I think JHS defense needs work, I feel he would be on the nhl if he had adjusted his game.
Did you read this? It doesnt seem only Garth Snow who wants to keep him in the minor :
Staple: What’s happened to Josh Ho-Sang?

Reactions: Chairman Wang

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Johnston blew his dman on a goal against but other than that I liked his game.

Idk how much I've said it on here but our bottom 6 has a lot of guys that don't contribute much outside of even strength minutes. Not a lot contribute to special teams or intangibles Ross provides in toughness. I hope Johnston sticks around a bit, if you're looking at the lineup and wondering who he might 'fight' you're doing it wrong. If they don't have a 'dance partner' Johnston then has to impose his will on a team that doesn't have a deterrent. That should be the mentality. Go hog wild. If that's the mentality Ross has he can find a place on this team because I think Weight is looking for that.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
It was nice seeing "Ross The Boss" on the ice...
Should allow Mayfield to spend more time concentrating on playing D, instead of dancing....
...and at least keep other teams...well....thinking a bit more than they have in the past.

Reactions: dood

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Directly caused a goal against, but hey that fight was worth at least two goals. Well deserving of 25 comments of praise.

Reactions: Strummergas

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
Directly caused a goal against, but hey that fight was worth at least two goals. Well deserving of 25 comments of praise.

i enjoy a good dust up as much as anyone else, hopefully he improves his game i wouldnt mind hm on the 4th line next year

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I stated in my post, OUTSIDE THE FIRST ROUND, SINCE JT WAS DRAFTED.
2010 to present, outside the first round:

Quine, Pelech, Mayfield only ones playing MEANINGFUL GAMES.

I'm not expecting the Isles to build a championship team in the AHL, but why do they have to suck? With all the picks they've had over the years, not just the top five failures, everyone else - where are the gems? No top goalie? No Tyler Johnson or Ondrej Palat? No Jake Guentzel or Connor Sheary? Brandon Carlo? NOTHING? Tanner Fritz? Allan Quine?

Um they don't suck. Last 2 years and this year
2015-16- 40-29-4-3 87 points made playoffs
2016-17- 44-28-3-1 92 points makes playoffs in any other divinsion(wins North) miss playoffs in the best division
2017-18- 19-15-4-2 This with most of their team playing for the Islanders!
And interesting that you bring up other teams players. Wouldn't Toews count if he didn't get hurt. Aho is with the Islanders and not looking bad. Vande Somple top 25 amongst Dmen as a rookie in socring in AHL.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
He brings an element to the team that is lacking. He is a limited player but if you give him 5 minutes a night and glue him to the bench in the 3rd during close games he could help the team.

I would rather have him out for 5 minutes a night than Prince, Quine, Chimera, and Fritz

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Um they don't suck. Last 2 years and this year
2015-16- 40-29-4-3 87 points made playoffs
2016-17- 44-28-3-1 92 points makes playoffs in any other divinsion(wins North) miss playoffs in the best division
2017-18- 19-15-4-2 This with most of their team playing for the Islanders!
And interesting that you bring up other teams players. Wouldn't Toews count if he didn't get hurt. Aho is with the Islanders and not looking bad. Vande Somple top 25 amongst Dmen as a rookie in socring in AHL.

Toews, Aho, Vande Sompel aren't the types of players that I'm talking about. I think we've been so bad for so long that we lose sight of the difference between Matt Donovan and players who graduate the AHL and become useful/impact NHLers - like all of Tampa (Johnson, Point, Palat) -- why don't the Isles, with all those picks since 2010, how have they not added any meaningful support after drafting the franchise centre?!?

I don't mean to evaluate JUST the AHL team.

As I said, I'm looking at this from Tavares' standpoint, since he got drafted, what has Garth Snow done to help the Islanders come close to a Stanley Cup:
- I say NOTHING

> rotating wingers starting with Parenteau, Moulson and everyone else walked or was let go. This year's the exception, with Lee and Baliey and a solid offensive season for those three
> no top dman
> no top goalie
> no depth
> terrible drafting with a couple of exceptions - Barzal
> terrible player development, looking at how few impact players since 2010 have made the Islanders (no, Pelech, Mayfield, Aho are NOT impact players)
> no playoff success, few playoff appearances

looking to next 1-3 years, before Belmont, split between Barc, NVMC we assume, '
> MAYBE a playoff team,
> huge holes in goal and defense,
> top players deserving huge raises (Lee, Barzal, Eberle, Bailey, deHaan) or they walk as UFAs

It's all clear.

Inept management, mediocre results, unclear future.

You look look for nuggets and tell an optimistic story, there are some successes along the way, but all the above are facts/truth

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Funny. We need more defense, remember? That's why Hosang isn't up. If all Johnston provides is fights and terrible defense, he should be in Bridgeport.

It is just one game but team swagger level was higher than it has been in ages.... Isles are a team of high skilled forwards, they need that protection. It is mostly implied protection, in that if I do something dirty to JT/Bailey/Eberle or Barzal I might have to be face that monster wearing #52. Changes the game. NHL Network ... the retired players always say they look at who is being dressed for the other team and when guys like Boogaard or Belak were dressing up, they became a bit tense.

Johnston can provide a big body in front, which means guys like Nelson, Prince, Quine.... who shoot at the knee pads, now will have obstruction which will lead to more goals.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It is just one game but team swagger level was higher than it has been in ages.... Isles are a team of high skilled forwards, they need that protection. It is mostly implied protection, in that if I do something dirty to JT/Bailey/Eberle or Barzal I might have to be face that monster wearing #52. Changes the game. NHL Network ... the retired players always say they look at who is being dressed for the other team and when guys like Boogaard or Belak were dressing up, they became a bit tense.

Johnston can provide a big body in front, which means guys like Nelson, Prince, Quine.... who shoot at the knee pads, now will have obstruction which will lead to more goals.
We have the best offense in the NHL. How much protection do our skilled players need?

No, we need Brock Nelson to pull his head out of his ass or someone else who can get that line going so that we have a 3 line threat. This way if either Baral’s line or JT’s line goes cold it doesn’t become easier to clamp down on the other scoring line.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
We have the best offense in the NHL. How much protection do our skilled players need?

No, we need Brock Nelson to pull his head out of his ass or someone else who can get that line going so that we have a 3 line threat. This way if either Baral’s line or JT’s line goes cold it doesn’t become easier to clamp down on the other scoring line.

I think they need some protection from injury and cheap shots, which have increased as we have started to lose, Barzal never played a game with Johnston in the AHL or NHL until last night and was leaning on his shoulders literally, not trying to infer much from a bench shot, but my gut feeling is that the team is relieved to have some muscle in the lineup.

There is a lot of dirty play that is not called and cheap shots... we have on the receiving end a lot more than we are on the giving end. The 3rd and 4th line open up now...

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think they need some protection from injury and cheap shots, which have increased as we have started to lose, Barzal never played a game with Johnston in the AHL or NHL until last night and was leaning on his shoulders literally, not trying to infer much from a bench shot, but my gut feeling is that the team is relieved to have some muscle in the lineup.

There is a lot of dirty play that is not called and cheap shots... we have on the receiving end a lot more than we are on the giving end. The 3rd and 4th line open up now...

If you haven't seen it, watch Ice Guardians. It's right up your alley.

You're old school, so am I. I was pleasantly surprised by Johnston and I like his presence in the lineup. It is out of necessity right now, but he could be our new enforcer now that Boulton is done.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

You're old school, so am I. I was pleasantly surprised by Johnston and I like his presence in the lineup. It is out of necessity right now, but he could be our new enforcer now that Boulton is done.
My favorite player growing up was Clark Gillies. That was the first jersey I ever got. I’m old school but I also realize the game isn’t played that way anymore. If the guy you want to be the watchdog doesn’t have some kind of talent it’s a wasted roster spot. Speed, goal scoring rule the day now, not to mention that every tap of the stick to the midsection is a slashing penalty.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Clarkie was anything but a goon! He never took stupid penalties and he didn't fight just to fight. With that said, there was no more frightening man than Gillies when he was mad and if an opposing player took liberties he was going to make sure it was answered. He was the very definition of a true policeman and happened to be a great hockey player as well. Those guys don't grow on trees!

My favorite player growing up was Clark Gillies. That was the first jersey I ever got. I’m old school but I also realize the game isn’t played that way anymore. If the guy you want to be the watchdog doesn’t have some kind of talent it’s a wasted roster spot. Speed, goal scoring rule the day now, not to mention that every tap of the stick to the midsection is a slashing penalty.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I will check that out... I am old school in that way with this game, but at the same time checking and fighting are legal and you need to be a tougher team, we were getting pushed around too much

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I was a Billy Harris fan, but Gillies was the first star forward we had, he predated Trotts... I think you don't have to suit up a fighter every night but that Johnston did more than fight, he was a big net presence out front and he threw some checks, created space.... If he can be a Maroon type, that works for me

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i believe that he brought more positive than negatives. his skating allows him to keep up with the pace, and he has shown to have decent hands at lower levels. we lost a bit of swagger, after Ladd, Boychuk and CC went dow with injuries, and he brought some back.

just like the Grinch's heart grew bigger, i think Nelson's balls did the same, once paired with RJ.

IF he can hone his defensive game, it will be a big boost to the club. we need to be tougher everywhere, especially in our own paint. just like Parrish said about guys like Kane, "You need to be aware when guys like that are on the ice". same with guys like RJ.

i love that the NHL is moving toward a more skilled, fast game, but i don't think that grit will ever become obsolete. Toronto, with Lam and Babcock, paid a premium price to get Martin, to protect their young, skilled guys. i don't see how someone can not see the benefit of having a tough guy on the roster. especially for teams that are soft overall.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Swagger was higher than it has been in ages? The team put up a 7 spot on the Rags January 13th...that was 4 games ago, which was the middle of a three game stretch where they scored 5+ in each.

Boogaard and Belak played in a different era. I can assure you, Patrick Kane, Toes, Keith, etc. didn't care that Johnston was in the lineup. If anything, I'm sure they looked forward to having a lesser skilled player to go up against. Didn't work out for them, but I don't think it was because of Johnston. This team is known for blowing teams out from time to time and putting up a ton of goals.

What? Where are these cheap shots? This has actually been one of the cleanest seasons I've seen in a long time. I can't think of a single time Tavares has been run and Barzal is being given a little bit more of the physical play because teams are trying to figure out how to defend him, but there hasn't been anything egregious.

If we're going to take Barzal leaning on Johnston as a sign, maybe we really should look at goal celebrations to determine if Tavares wants to be here. :help:

It's a great watch and I do think @majormet would enjoy it. However, it's just not the same game as it was.

Precisely, not to mention the top guys in the league are so much better at skating that they aren't going to be bothered by some goon who can't catch them.

Johnston was fine in his debut, but some of you are getting way out of hand with the praise. This team scores goals, that's nothing new. Johnston fought someone?! So did Nelson a few games ago. If he can continue to play a positive role for the team, great, but it's been 1 game in a lopsided win. How is he going to be three games from now or in a tighter match up? Many of you are passing judgement way to soon.

Reactions: MJF and Strummergas

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Swagger was higher than it has been in ages? The team put up a 7 spot on the Rags January 13th...that was 4 games ago, which was the middle of a three game stretch where they scored 5+ in each.

Boogaard and Belak played in a different era. I can assure you, Patrick Kane, Toes, Keith, etc. didn't care that Johnston was in the lineup. If anything, I'm sure they looked forward to having a lesser skilled player to go up against. Didn't work out for them, but I don't think it was because of Johnston. This team is known for blowing teams out from time to time and putting up a ton of goals.

What? Where are these cheap shots? This has actually been one of the cleanest seasons I've seen in a long time. I can't think of a single time Tavares has been run and Barzal is being given a little bit more of the physical play because teams are trying to figure out how to defend him, but there hasn't been anything egregious.

If we're going to take Barzal leaning on Johnston as a sign, maybe we really should look at goal celebrations to determine if Tavares wants to be here. :help:

It's a great watch and I do think @majormet would enjoy it. However, it's just not the same game as it was.

Precisely, not to mention the top guys in the league are so much better at skating that they aren't going to be bothered by some goon who can't catch them.

Johnston was fine in his debut, but some of you are getting way out of hand with the praise. This team scores goals, that's nothing new. Johnston fought someone?! So did Nelson a few games ago. If he can continue to play a positive role for the team, great, but it's been 1 game in a lopsided win. How is he going to be three games from now or in a tighter match up? Many of you are passing judgement way to soon.
Again, we have the second best offense in the league this morning. Seems like our skilled players have plenty of room to operate.

As far as the Blackhawk game on Saturday goes, hanging up a TD on that team is not a stretch considering they have been playing poorly all year (currently out of a playoff spot) and lost their #1 goalie for the season. Glad we were able to do that but a little context. Sorry to throw cold water on everyone’s parade.

Maybe Snow should put Eric Boulton back on the payroll to ensure Tavares re-signs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad