Cases where the team with no momenteum won game 7

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
By my count (others can feel free to double check) since 2008 there have been 7 instances of a team blowing a 3-1 lead but then winning in game 7. It's not really that uncommon.

kinda useless without telling us how many total series when to a game 7 after a team was leading 3-1 though

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I dont know how many more times I have to say this around here.

There is no such thing as momentum between games in a playoff series. Theres momentum during games, but not from one game to another. Period.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I think what he said, considering their past failures and current predicament, was an absolute necessary vote of confidence from the captain to his team. After losing three straight the team needs to have the mental attitude of were going in to their home barn and were walking out as victors, no other option is on the table.

Obviously leadership gestures and the effects they have on the psyche of players will vary depending on the individual. But I know that for me personally, hearing the captain speak out in such a confident manner, would have a positive effect on me in my mental preparation for the game. It’s the kind of leadership that unites a team. Especially considering everybody on the team (including Ovi) knows he’s the one getting slaughtered if they don’t follow through. Even more so now with the â€guaranteeâ€.

For it to have any positive effect whatsoever it is paramount that Ovi brings it from puck-drop (which the Caps haven’t been able to do so far) and leads the way.

it's only two straight at this point, but I agree with everything else. Beating a team 3 times in a row is difficult, and it hasn't happened between the Rangers and Caps in a long while. Frankly it's the only thing I'm hanging my hat on.

The last time the Rangers or Caps beat each other 3 times in a row in the regular season or playoffs was in the 2010-2011 regular season. The Rangers beat the Caps 3 straight times.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
There is no momentum between games.
There is only momentum during a game.

But, there is that "confidence" thing. I'm not going for all that malarkey about the Caps dominating in the last 15 minutes of game 6, carrying over to tonight's game. Rangers did what they always do, going into that prevent defense, which is actually a prevent offense.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
By my count (others can feel free to double check) since 2008 there have been 7 instances of a team blowing a 3-1 lead but then winning in game 7. It's not really that uncommon.

how many of those teams that blew the 3-1 lead, won game 7 on the road??

BobbleHeadNight*

Every single time, if you believe there is no such thing as "momentum" that carries from game to game.

Which, of course, there is not.

BobbleHeadNight*

But, there is that "confidence" thing. I'm not going for all that malarkey about the Caps dominating in the last 15 minutes of game 6, carrying over to tonight's game. Rangers did what they always do, going into that prevent defense, which is actually a prevent offense.

So you're a believer in momentum but only for your team?

:laugh:

BobbleHeadNight*

Then last year Hawks go down 3-1 against the Kings, force game 7 and take a 2-0 lead and lose in OT. I don't know if I'll ever get over that loss. I don't even like talking about it.

To this day, I've not watched a replay of the series winning goal.

:cry:

BobbleHeadNight*

Remember, these are people. Not every incident in your life is isolated. If you are having a bad day, you will start to see it as a bad day, interpret ambiguous information negatively, and respond differently. Sports is no different.

And the next day is a new day.

BobbleHeadNight*

To be fair, the thread title says "momenteum" not momentum. I know a guy who made a lot of money investing in momenteum mining. ;)

Sounds like a pharma ad...

"Don't take Momenteum if you have high blood pressure or are on blood thinners. Side effects include internal bleeding, complete organ failure, uncontrolled drooling, and extreme flatulence."

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Canucks in 2011. Up 3-0, Lost 3 straight against the blackhawks, before winning game 7 (in OT).

IIRC they were also the better team in game 6 but lost that one. They weren't really the better team in game 7 and were a misplaced Sharp shot / good Luongo save away from being eliminated.

Anything can happen in a single game.

still drives me nuts

luongo-gm-7-save-sharp-hd-o.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad