GDT: carstl

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I would think the first step would be to stop watching the Canes....

Aversion Therapy. Constant Exposure to numb you to the condition.

IAMAP These results are not guaranteed nor is this a recommendation for things to attempt. (I am not a Psychiatrist -You have been warned)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I first got Facebook in winter of 08 but I dont recall the vast migration away from Myspace happening until the following summer. But I could be wrong.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Aversion Therapy. Constant Exposure to numb you to the condition.

IAMAP These results are not guaranteed nor is this a recommendation for things to attempt. (I am not a Psychiatrist -You have been warned)

Sports, for the chronic depressive who is aware enough to want to change, actually can be a great exercise in learning to maintain an even keel that's pointed in a generally positive direction. Because in most cases, if you can manage your thoughts, you can manage your emotions. So instead of being all mopey and **** because we're down three goals, you can be like "We're down 3 goals and that stinks, but look at the game Aho is having!" and focus on that positive to keep you out of a negative emotional tailspin.

It translates to real life, too. I find that I have totally changed the way I think about my familial relationship, my job, a trip to the grocery store, etc. Being able to push away negative thoughts gives you control over the situation so it's not this constant roller coaster ride of your own internal dialogue. And I can honestly say I'm happier on the whole than I have ever been, even though the difference in external circumstance might make you think it would have a reason to be otherwise.

(Today's edition of Psychology Minute brought to you by Shiner Holiday Cheer)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Sports, for the chronic depressive who is aware enough to want to change, actually can be a great exercise in learning to maintain an even keel that's pointed in a generally positive direction. Because in most cases, if you can manage your thoughts, you can manage your emotions. So instead of being all mopey and **** because we're down three goals, you can be like "We're down 3 goals and that stinks, but look at the game Aho is having!" and focus on that positive to keep you out of a negative emotional tailspin.

It translates to real life, too. I find that I have totally changed the way I think about my familial relationship, my job, a trip to the grocery store, etc. Being able to push away negative thoughts gives you control over the situation so it's not this constant roller coaster ride of your own internal dialogue. And I can honestly say I'm happier on the whole than I have ever been, even though the difference in external circumstance might make you think it would have a reason to be otherwise.

Grown up real talk right here.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." --Hamlet

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
The thing is, an area where Ryan excels is in the passing game. With Staal's big body making some space, it should give McGinn a little more room to operate, taking advantage of Ryan's skillset. It will be interesting.

How else does one weather the storm? French toast and/or a milk sandwich do not cover all 4 food groups. My guess is the ABC stores are devoid of Fireball about now too.

I have 2 fifths of Fireball if anyone in HS wants to ski over this weekend.

Which raises an intriguing question -- do the meth dealers also experience the pre-storm rush of customers? 4 days is a long time to be stuck inside your house.

Can confirm, the line was out the door.

You have negative thoughts about a trip to the grocery store?

Depression sucks.

Been there, done that. Grocery store comment was likely related to anxiety that is nearly impossible to articulate. I couldn't explain half of the **** that I did/didn't do during that period, but if you've been there, you just get it. Glad to hear you got a handle on it Robo. To me, it's like an addict. Once an addict, always an addict. But you learn tools to recognize when you slip and how to overcome it. It took a few years for my wife to even begin to understand why doing certain every day things is so exhausting for me.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So to hit 93 points, the Canes need to play at a 97 point pace the rest of the way (vs. the 88 point pace they've played at over the first 38 games).

The pessimist in me says that's a tall order.
The optimist in me says that since November 1st, they've been playing at a 95.7 point pace so they can do this.

27-14-2 gets us to 97 points. The reason I bring that up is that I did some research for some writing that I was doing and looked at the '08-'09 team. And that is exactly what they did to reach the playoffs (ended up 2nd in the division, I believe). Had a 9 game winning streak before losing the last two of the season. In their last 25 games they went 17-6-2, scoring 9 goals in two games, 6 goals in two other games, and 5 goals in three of those games. In only two of those games did they lose by more than 2 points. That was a damn impressive run.

But the reality is that we need to essentially win 2 out of every 3 games. And that's a tall order.

Of course, that team did have the Great Anton and he scored 16 goals. Between he and Joe Corvo they potted 30 goals and put up 73 points. The defense that year (if you include the only the primary starters) put up 158 points. LaRose and Ruutu had career years while Sergei Samsonov refound his game.

But yeah, this team "could" still make a run...

... migrated from one side of the political spectrum to the other.

Does that make you a Druid now?

you don't?

I ate lunch at a Mexican place today next to a Food Lion. It felt like it was a combo Anthropological/Sociological experiment was going on in the parking lot.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
You have negative thoughts about a trip to the grocery store?

Having children requires you to spend a fair amount of time at the grocery store, spend a large amount of money there, and circumvent the idiots of society who are both inconsiderate and extremely slow (or gifted with more time than sense). This alone will make you dread it like the plague. I don't have depression, but I do have anxiety and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Harris teeter lets you put a list on an app and all you have to do is drive up there they'll load you up and everything. We have two little ones and that helps us a lot

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Harris teeter lets you put a list on an app and all you have to do is drive up there they'll load you up and everything. We have two little ones and that helps us a lot

I've used that before with HT but we only do about 20% of our shopping there due to bargain shopping, coupons etc. We use HT, Aldi, and Target. Aldi doesn't have online shopping AFAIK. It becomes a logistics issue when, and where we plan trips. If I won the lottery I would do all my shopping at the Fresh Market, with all the other morons spending 1000+/mo on groceries. (no offense if that's your thing)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Funny, just off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a Food Lion that *doesn't* have a Mexican restaurant next it.

The one by me doesn't. It has a pizza place and a Chinese restaurant, but not a Mexican restaurant.

Oh, and my key to keeping sanity for grocery shopping is that I go first thing Sunday morning (and I'm an early riser). You pretty much have the place to yourself.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Having children requires you to spend a fair amount of time at the grocery store, spend a large amount of money there, and circumvent the idiots of society who are both inconsiderate and extremely slow (or gifted with more time than sense). This alone will make you dread it like the plague. I don't have depression, but I do have anxiety and it makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Oh....how I recall those days....slam a couple of shots of bourbon for dad and a shot of Nyquil for each kid and it was like I was at an amusement park....oh wait, that's how I ended up at Kings Dominion.

Funny, just off the top of my head, I couldn't come up with a Food Lion that *doesn't* have a Mexican restaurant next it.

Supply and demand, my friend supply and demand....

The one by me doesn't. It has a pizza place and a Chinese restaurant, but not a Mexican restaurant.

Oh, and my key to keeping sanity for grocery shopping is that I go first thing Sunday morning (and I'm an early riser). You pretty much have the place to yourself.

Racist Food Lion...you'd think they built a wall or something.

There's a theme to this post: Anytime I go shopping, it's better after a bloody mary or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad