OT: Cars

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Uh... what?

I think you got taken. With leases you pre-determine the purchase price of the vehicle. It's called the residual. Sounds like the car was worth more than the residual and the dealership wanted to be able to sell it. You actually don't even need to talk to the dealer about buying out a lease, as they aren't part of the transaction. It's between you and the finance company (lease title holder).
I don’t remember the exact reason. I had no idea what I was doing so it’s possible. I think my dad said that dealership had a lot of turnover during COVID.

How many miles a year do you drive? What MPG do you currently average?

According to my car’s mpg calculator I get 40.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don’t remember the exact reason. I had no idea what I was doing so it’s possible. I think my dad said that dealership had a lot of turnover during COVID.

According to my car’s mpg calculator I get 40.
40 mpg? Impressive. Don't know many cars that get that. So around 500 gallons a year or $2000 a year in gas give or take. So if you get 30 mpg highway it will cost you an extra $670 a year give or take. Not the end of the world.

Reactions: 007

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Yeah I’m mostly just curious about other makers since I’ve only driven VWs. I wanted to buy the 2018 VW Jetta I was leasing but the lease ended right during COVID and the dealership said I couldn’t buy the car, so I was kind of scrambling and just took the nearest manual VW I could find.

It will probably still be GTI vs. WRX in the end but I am intrigued by this GR-86/BRZ car.

It’s sad the filter results on Auto Trader. 15 manual vs 5,000 automatic. That’s an absurd ratio.
I haven't checked in on this thread for a while, but I think you're going about choosing a new car the right way, as someone who actually cares about what kind of car you're getting. Drive as much as you can before you need to make a choice and just get the right car for you with no prejudices.

I've heard only good things about GR-86/BRZ, except that they're still not very powerful. That said, I think as long as you're driving it for your own enjoyment and not to show off, you're in for a good time. Miatas are just as good/better in that respect, but they're way overpriced on the used market (except my friend's heavily modded NA Miata that someone needs to steal from him to save his own sanity, but that's another story...).

There's always something about a Mustang -- even though a GR-86 is on paper, clearly more my kind of car, I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other...

One note, basically, the more options you give yourself to choose from, the happier you're going to be with the car/price you end up with. A couple things you said made me think:

-Apple Car Play is surely nice to have, but if it's your limiting factor, I'd think about living without it. It sounds like you're more interested in the driving experience, and I'm sure you'll cope, though it might be annoying at first. As a guy who's never owned a car that even has a screen (though rented several), I am surprised by how important the infotainment UX is for purchasers these days, but I guess it makes sense.

-Don't force yourself to just have RWD/AWD. A great-handling FWD car can be a great deal of fun to drive (the best Civics, a GTI, your Jetta, for instance).

40 mpg? Impressive. Don't know many cars that get that. So around 500 gallons a year or $2000 a year in gas give or take. So if you get 30 mpg highway it will cost you an extra $670 a year give or take. Not the end of the world.
Such a good post! This is exactly the sort of math most car buyers do not do!

Reactions: NickyFotiu

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I haven't checked in on this thread for a while, but I think you're going about choosing a new car the right way, as someone who actually cares about what kind of car you're getting. Drive as much as you can before you need to make a choice and just get the right car for you with no prejudices.

I've heard only good things about GR-86/BRZ, except that they're still not very powerful. That said, I think as long as you're driving it for your own enjoyment and not to show off, you're in for a good time. Miatas are just as good/better in that respect, but they're way overpriced on the used market (except my friend's heavily modded NA Miata that someone needs to steal from him to save his own sanity, but that's another story...).

There's always something about a Mustang -- even though a GR-86 is on paper, clearly more my kind of car, I'd have a hard time choosing one over the other...

One note, basically, the more options you give yourself to choose from, the happier you're going to be with the car/price you end up with. A couple things you said made me think:

-Apple Car Play is surely nice to have, but if it's your limiting factor, I'd think about living without it. It sounds like you're more interested in the driving experience, and I'm sure you'll cope, though it might be annoying at first. As a guy who's never owned a car that even has a screen (though rented several), I am surprised by how important the infotainment UX is for purchasers these days, but I guess it makes sense.

-Don't force yourself to just have RWD/AWD. A great-handling FWD car can be a great deal of fun to drive (the best Civics, a GTI, your Jetta, for instance).

I’ll have to give myself a year to save up and continue considering options. It sucks to wait but it can’t be helped. I mean I have a car; not having anything to occupy my mind is what sucks.

The GR86/BRZ checks a lot of boxes though. I drove past a BRZ once and it looked way more expensive to me than it actually is.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

James Bond is right. Its an important call so take your time to make sure you feel comofrtable in your knowledge before making it.

I love my cars. Never had an Apple play or a info screen. Neither did Magnum PI :D

I always loved my Miatas. I had two NA and one NB. Dollar for dollar the best cars I have ever owned. I liked the ND a lot when I drove it but the problem for me is the passenger footwell had a large hump in it back in 2018.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How do you go about buying a used car if you don’t know a lot about cars? Do you avoid cars over a certain mileage or does it depend on the brand? Obviously I know to avoid the BMW with 800k miles on it.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
How do you go about buying a used car if you don’t know a lot about cars?

Also I'll say... make yourself a list of stuff that is important to you. Sometimes when making a big purchase emotions win out and the car "feels" like a good deal. But do things like check that all tires are matching, rims aren't cracked/damaged, inspect every body panel for dings/scratches/blemishes, make sure all dumb little motors work (mirrors, sunroof, active aero, windows, etc)... and just take your time and go through your list.

Make this list before hand... give yourself time to add to it. If you don't have an actual check list with you, you WILL forget stuff. You'll get excited about a fancy freshly washed/detailed car and you'll miss stuff.

Reactions: aufheben

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

James Bond is right. Its an important call so take your time to make sure you feel comofrtable in your knowledge before making it.

I love my cars. Never had an Apple play or a info screen. Neither did Magnum PI :D

I always loved my Miatas. I had two NA and one NB. Dollar for dollar the best cars I have ever owned. I liked the ND a lot when I drove it but the problem for me is the passenger footwell had a large hump in it back in 2018.
I could live without Apple CarPlay for an older car that’s been taken care of. There’s a 1998 Mustang GT on AutoTrader with low mileage that looks really nice.

It’s funny how much engines have changed over the last 20 years. This car has a 4.7L V8 and it’s 70 more HP than my Jetta with a 1.4L I4 Turbo.

Last edited:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
How do you go about buying a used car if you don’t know a lot about cars? Do you avoid cars over a certain mileage or does it depend on the brand? Obviously I know to avoid the BMW with 800k miles on it.
Start with the model you like. For example, you like the BMW 3 Series. Then compare the new edition to the three-year old edition that people are returning to the dealership at the end of their lease. If the new edition and the three-year old edition are part of the same generation, they are essentially the same car except one is older. Lease returns are good used vehicles because the previous user is on a mileage limit and is required to follow the dealership’s maintenance schedule. Dealerships usually market their lease return inventory as certified pre-owned vehicles.

In 2021, I test drove a 2021 Hyundai Sonata and liked it. Dealer was selling it for $27k. Bought the dealer’s certified pre-owned 2018 Hyundai Sonata, just returned from lease with 23,000 miles on it, for $16k instead. Asked for the CarFax. No accident history and was brought in for all scheduled maintenance.

Last edited:
Reactions: aufheben

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Start with the model you like. For example, you like the BMW 3 Series. Then compare the new edition to the three-year old edition that people are returning to the dealership at the end of their lease. If the new edition and the three-year old edition are part of the same generation, they are essentially the same car except one is older. Lease returns are good used vehicles because the previous user is on a mileage limit and is required to follow the dealership’s maintenance schedule. Dealerships usually market their lease return inventory as certified pre-owned vehicles.

In 2021, I test drove a 2021 Hyundai Sonata and liked it. Dealer was selling it for $27k. Bought the dealer’s certified pre-owned 2018 Hyundai Sonata, just returned from lease with 23,000 miles on it, for $16k instead. Asked for the CarFax. No accident history and was brought in for all scheduled maintenance.
That’d for sure be the way to go, I just haven’t been able to find CPO versions of the cars I’m looking for. Great deal for you.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
That’d for sure be the way to go, I just haven’t been able to find CPO versions of the cars I’m looking for. Great deal for you.
Gone are the days of unique CPOs. Dealership lease inventories are black, white, or gray with 95% the same features. They are ordered from the manufacturer to appeal to the widest market possible.

If you can’t find the CPO version of the car you like and you can’t afford the new version, you’re probably not looking at the right kind of car for your current situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This would check a lot of boxes except for the damn wheels. The tires look like a grain of salt would rupture them. I mean a new set of 18” wheels + tires + installation is going to be like what $2-3k?

Last edited:

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I could live without Apple CarPlay for an older car that’s been taken care of. There’s a 1998 Mustang GT on AutoTrader with low mileage that looks really nice.

It’s funny how much engines have changed over the last 20 years. This car has a 4.7L V8 and it’s 70 more HP than my Jetta with a 1.4L I4 Turbo.

That Mustang would have the 2 valve SOHC 4.6, typically a very reliable motor. I wouldn't call it fast by any means, but peppy and super easy to make the exhaust sound really nice.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That Mustang would have the 2 valve SOHC 4.6, typically a very reliable motor. I wouldn't call it fast by any means, but peppy and super easy to make the exhaust sound really nice.
I mean “fast” in 2024 means like 600hp. I’m sure it’s a fun car. I’m not sure if a 26-year-old car is a sound plan for a daily driver though: Autotrader - page unavailable

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Gone are the days of unique CPOs. Dealership lease inventories are black, while, or gray with 95% the same features. They are ordered from the manufacturer to appeal to the widest market possible.

If you can’t find the CPO version of the car you like and you can’t afford the new version, you’re probably not looking at the right kind of car for your current situation.
Yeah so my question is really geared towards a used dealership/private seller. I certainly should have followed your advice on my last car though.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I mean “fast” in 2024 means like 600hp. I’m sure it’s a fun car. I’m not sure if a 26-year-old car is a sound plan for a daily driver though:

Why not? Cheap on parts and super easy to maintain. Practically anyone that can turn a wrench can work on them.

A couple of my rascals daily their 99 F150s with that exact motor. (one has 478k kilometers/294k miles)

I will admit I do have a preference for vehicles that been around for a bit lol

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why not? Cheap on parts and super easy to maintain. Practically anyone that can turn a wrench can work on them.

A couple of my rascals daily their 99 F150s with that exact motor. (one has 478k kilometers/294k miles)

I will admit I do have a preference for vehicles that been around for a bit lol
I like older cars. I don’t like how modern cars have become so massive. My 1997 VW Jetta was 2,591 lbs/173.3”, my 2021 VW Jetta is 2,965 lbs/185.1”

How many miles on a used car is too many?

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Parking curb got me today. Pulled my front bumper cover off. Hopefully it will be okay with 2 new plastic brackets for $90. Never did this before but too cheap to let someone else reinstall it. 😊

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Parking curb got me today. Pulled my front bumper cover off. Hopefully it will be okay with 2 new plastic brackets for $90. Never did this before but too cheap to let someone else reinstall it. 😊
Whenever my wife drives one of our relatively low GTIs and pulls into a space next to a giant SUV that has it's front wheels up against the curb, I pucker up like when Lundqvist used to handle the puck.

• Haha
Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ordered my 2 bumper cover support brackets. Cost me $90 after shipping. Local dealer wanted $90 each. Then said he would do $76.50 each when I mentioned dealers online want half that. Still I would have considered the local dealer till he told me he did not have 1 of them in stock. So local dealer would have been $163.71 after tax. I figured if I had to wait for shipping anyway I might as well save myself $73.

Whenever my wife drives one of our relatively low GTIs and pulls into a space next to a giant SUV that has it's front wheels up against the curb, I pucker up like when Lundqvist used to handle the puck.
I always try to park as far from people as possible. I used to have 2 dings on 1 fender that drove me nuts but I got them removed so now my cars body is perfect. This was a parking stop that got my car not a side curb. My car is low so it was just a matter of time. I don't mind the $90 for the parts. Just hope it is not too big a pain in the neck to remove the old broken ones.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Shortlist for next car:

Volkswagen Golf GTI
Volkswagen Golf R
Subaru BRZ
Subaru WRX
Toyota GR86
Ford Mustang

Would parts be hard to find for 1993-2003 Mustangs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad