Sep 29, 2011
Shortlist for next car:

Volkswagen Golf GTI
Volkswagen Golf R
Subaru BRZ
Subaru WRX
Toyota GR86
Ford Mustang

Would parts be hard to find for 1993-2003 Mustangs?
I would be shocked if parts are hard to find. They made so many of them. I drive old cars but I rarely drive and I fix my own cars. Are you going to use a 1993-2003 for your 20,000 mile commute or for pleasure?

Reactions: Profet

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I would be shocked if parts are hard to find. They made so many of them. I drive old cars but I rarely drive and I fix my own cars. Are you going to use a 1993-2003 for your 20,000 mile commute or for pleasure?
Commute. There’s some around with low mileage, like 15-30k.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Commute. There’s some around with low mileage.
I'm not a person scared by mileage but things happen to cars with age. Plastics harden. Gaskets go bad. Rubber goes bad. Not trying to scare you but based on your description of yourself and your commute its something to consider. Also what kind of Mustang are you speaking about? I had a Base Stick V-6 in 2000 for a few months.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not a person scared by mileage but things happen to cars with age. Plastics harden. Gaskets go bad. Rubber goes bad. Not trying to scare you but based on your description of yourself and your commute its something to consider. Also what kind of Mustang are you speaking about? I had a Base Stick V-6 in 2000 for a few months.
Any model really, unless it’s too thirsty.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
How do you go about buying a used car if you don’t know a lot about cars? Do you avoid cars over a certain mileage or does it depend on the brand? Obviously I know to avoid the BMW with 800k miles on it.
If you don't know anything about working on cars, here's my personal rule of thumb...If you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used. Meaning you don't want to buy any used car that doesn't have a certified factory warranty. Used cars from unknown sources are just an invitation for you to inherit someone else's headache.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just a regular one of a GT.
I had a base 3.8 liter V-6. It did 0-60 in around 7 seconds which felt a bit slow coming from my 2000 Corvette. I think the GT had a 4.6 liter V-8. I test drove one and it did feel faster. I think the GT did 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I had a base 3.8 liter V-6. It did 0-60 in around 7 seconds which felt a bit slow coming from my 2000 Corvette. I think the GT had a 4.6 liter V-8. I test drove one and it did feel faster. I think the GT did 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds.
This one has 30k miles, a new clutch, and it seems like a detailed history: Autotrader - page unavailable

Could almost get a new one for that much money though.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If you don't know anything about working on cars, here's my personal rule of thumb...If you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used. Meaning you don't want to buy any used car that doesn't have a certified factory warranty. Used cars from unknown sources are just an invitation for you to inherit someone else's headache.
I understand your thinking but I think there are some extremes in both directions. I say that as a person that has only driven used cars since 1999-2000. When I was shopping for a car for my dad he told me only cars from dealers. I told him you know those cars on dealers lots were not only other peoples cars previously but often bought at auctions. He said he felt more comfortable knowing it was gone over by the dealer. I think he thought dealer inspections were much more detailed than they are. Some new cars are very pricey. Some certified cars are overpriced. I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think each situation has to be judged based on the individual specific details. My mom had a Solara for 17 years and it ran like new. It will probably run another 17 years. I personally would not buy a 1993 Mustang for a 20,000 a year commute so on that we agree but there are some used cars I would be fine with. If I did not personally work on cars I would definitely invest in a prepurchase inspection. If concerned buy an extended warranty directly from the insurance company not from a dealer. Dealers often mark them up 100%.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This one has 30k miles, a new clutch, and it seems like a detailed history: Autotrader - page unavailable

Could almost get a new one for that much money though.
Sounds like a well maintained vehicle. I don't really buy that they changed out the clutch for the new owner. More likely it was slipping and they knew they needed to swap it to get max money. Keep in mind that even a 2023-24 base Mustang is going to be faster than a 2001 GT.

Edit despite the low miles I would not be surprised if that car was driven hard when driven. I would not think that was the car for you.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Does anyone have experience with CarMax? It seems like they’re designed to make buying used cars easier but it looks like their prices are high as well.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sounds like a well maintained vehicle. I don't really buy that they changed out the clutch for the new owner. More likely it was slipping and they knew they needed to swap it to get max money. Keep in mind that even a 2023-24 base Mustang is going to be faster than a 2001 GT.

Edit despite the low miles I would not be surprised if that car was driven hard when driven. I would not think that was the car for you.
I mean I don’t need a rocket ship. Having said that, the Subaru BRZ pre-2022 has 200hp which seems low even for a cheap sports car. The handling is just as important as the speed to me. Maybe Mustangs aren’t what I’m looking for, they’re kind of colossal.

The Golf R checks all the boxes but it’s simply too expensive unless I find a good deal on one with 80k miles.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
anybody have a X5 or Q8?
Wife had an X3M and now has an Audi SQ5. The X3 had a great powertrain in the 3.0litre turbo diesel and ZF box - basically bullet-proof and I think it's still the same powertrain in the new X5.

The Audi SQ5 is a bit of a beast. Turbo diesel and she's not just fast, but rather miserly on the juice.

Would buy both again.

For transparency I've got a Mercedes GLE63AMG - yeah, we're both revheads.

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Wife had an X3M and now has an Audi SQ5. The X3 had a great powertrain in the 3.0litre turbo diesel and ZF box - basically bullet-proof and I think it's still the same powertrain in the new X5.

The Audi SQ5 is a bit of a beast. Turbo diesel and she's not just fast, but rather miserly on the juice.

Would buy both again.

For transparency I've got a Mercedes GLE63AMG - yeah, we're both revheads.
I was looking at the GLE too... not a fan of the dash tbh.

I'm the same as you. Looking at x5m50i and sq8. Want a v8 for no good reason

Reactions: Row I Goon

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I understand your thinking but I think there are some extremes in both directions. I say that as a person that has only driven used cars since 1999-2000. When I was shopping for a car for my dad he told me only cars from dealers. I told him you know those cars on dealers lots were not only other peoples cars previously but often bought at auctions. He said he felt more comfortable knowing it was gone over by the dealer. I think he thought dealer inspections were much more detailed than they are. Some new cars are very pricey. Some certified cars are overpriced. I'm not saying you are wrong. I just think each situation has to be judged based on the individual specific details. My mom had a Solara for 17 years and it ran like new. It will probably run another 17 years. I personally would not buy a 1993 Mustang for a 20,000 a year commute so on that we agree but there are some used cars I would be fine with. If I did not personally work on cars I would definitely invest in a prepurchase inspection. If concerned buy an extended warranty directly from the insurance company not from a dealer. Dealers often mark them up 100%.
Let me try to expand on my previous post. First a little background, before moving back east I was building classic cars in Vegas as my primary source of income. You said you like to do your own work. The way you & I look at a used car will be completely different than how the average joe looks at a used car. Plus we are far less likely to fall for any salesman tactics because it's easy for us to call bullshit when they try to come up with excuses for engine noises, hard shifts, etc.

Whenever I've been in the position of buying a used car from a private party, I can usually get a sense if the car is even worth looking at just from the tone of the sellers voice on the phone. Once I pull up to the house, putting eyes on the car would determine if the guy was describing it accurately or not. There were plenty of times I didn't even bother stopping to ring the bell. Then after hearing the engine run or taking the car for a spin, I would be able to make a decision pretty quickly if I was buying it or not. 99% of the population cannot do this or wouldn't know to immediately pop the hood & check the oil. Last time I went looking for used cars was with a friend & I brought a portable OBD-2 scanner. If a guy balks at letting me read codes or makes a really uncomfortable face when I go to plug it in, it's usually a good sign to walk away. These are things that the general car buying public wouldn't think to do, which I why I say they should stick to new cars or used cars with a CPO.

I've seen people desperate to drive a Benz or an Audi, so they jump at a 8 year A6 with 75K miles on it for $12 grand or whatever they go for these days. Not realizing those cars are an absolute NIGHTMARE to work on & good luck if you don't have a dealer scanner. This is what I meant by not being able to afford it used, if you can't afford it new. The cost to fix these things is astronomical from a dealer & not much better from a mechanic who specializes in German cars.

At 52, I've personally never owned a new car...actually, the car I currently own is the first time I've ever had a car payment. Right before Covid I bought a 2015 VW Passat TDI that was part of the Dieselgate scandal. Idiots were so offended by what VW did & sold back their perfect low mile cars, and guys like me were able to pick them up for a song. It came with a CPO 24 month unlimited bumper to bumper warranty that only excluded maintenence items like brakes or oil changes. The Diesel warranty continues to be in effect which was 2.5 years after the CPO ended. Any thing that throws a check engine code is automatically covered.

Under warranty Ive had a heater core, strut mounts, a leaking turbo oil line, a faulty air bag sensor, a BCM & a diesel exhaust fluid heater replaced. When I first bought the car, it had a bad vibration & the car was pulling hard to the right. The dealer bent over backwards trying to figure it out...changed engine & trans mounts, new rotors & brake pads, & they rotated & balanced the tires several times. When I brought it in I told them I was pretty sure it was the tires, but they persisted until they realized the pulling to the right started pulling to the left when they switched the tires side to side. The dealer got VW of America to install 4 brand new Continentals to replace the crappy no name tires that all the Buy-back TDIs recieved after sitting in giant parking lots for 3 years. I was thrilled.

I've put 40K miles on this car & I love it to death...it gets 48mpg on the highway...but the Diesel warranty finally runs out in November. I'll have a pretty tough decision to make moving forward, but when I do decide to move on, its going to be another CPO for me. I have my eyes on the VW Arteons. They didn't sell well & there's a bunch of leftovers sitting on dealer lots with less than 10K miles. In a year or two, I'll probably buy one for around $20k & have an almost brand new car with a bumper to bumper warranty & the factory powertrain coverage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean I don’t need a rocket ship. Having said that, the Subaru BRZ pre-2022 has 200hp which seems low even for a cheap sports car. The handling is just as important as the speed to me. Maybe Mustangs aren’t what I’m looking for, they’re kind of colossal.

The Golf R checks all the boxes but it’s simply too expensive unless I find a good deal on one with 80k miles.
I agree. I was just letting you know since I got the feeling you have not test drove many of them. HP is not everything. Some cars with lesser HP are faster.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I get what you're saying... But buying a car off a used car lot or from a private listing is very different then buying a CPO from a dealer.

Most of the former are "as is" or only offer a minimal warranty measured in days or weeks.

A CPO may not have had an extreme inspection, but the manufacturer is on the hook for repairs.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Let me try to expand on my previous post. First a little background, before moving back east I was building classic cars in Vegas as my primary source of income. You said you like to do your own work. The way you & I look at a used car will be completely different than how the average joe looks at a used car. Plus we are far less likely to fall for any salesman tactics because it's easy for us to call bullshit when they try to come up with excuses for engine noises, hard shifts, etc.

Whenever I've been in the position of buying a used car from a private party, I can usually get a sense if the car is even worth looking at just from the tone of the sellers voice on the phone. Once I pull up to the house, putting eyes on the car would determine if the guy was describing it accurately or not. There were plenty of times I didn't even bother stopping to ring the bell. Then after hearing the engine run or taking the car for a spin, I would be able to make a decision pretty quickly if I was buying it or not. 99% of the population cannot do this or wouldn't know to immediately pop the hood & check the oil. Last time I went looking for used cars was with a friend & I brought a portable OBD-2 scanner. If a guy balks at letting me read codes or makes a really uncomfortable face when I go to plug it in, it's usually a good sign to walk away. These are things that the general car buying public wouldn't think to do, which I why I say they should stick to new cars or used cars with a CPO.

I've seen people desperate to drive a Benz or an Audi, so they jump at a 8 year A6 with 75K miles on it for $12 grand or whatever they go for these days. Not realizing those cars are an absolute NIGHTMARE to work on & good luck if you don't have a dealer scanner. This is what I meant by not being able to afford it used, if you can't afford it new. The cost to fix these things is astronomical from a dealer & not much better from a mechanic who specializes in German cars.

At 52, I've personally never owned a new car...actually, the car I currently own is the first time I've ever had a car payment. Right before Covid I bought a 2015 VW Passat TDI that was part of the Dieselgate scandal. Idiots were so offended by what VW did & sold back their perfect low mile cars, and guys like me were able to pick them up for a song. It came with a CPO 24 month unlimited bumper to bumper warranty that only excluded maintence items like brakes or oil changes. The Diesel warranty continues to be in effect which was 2.5 years after the CPO ended. Any thing that throws a check engine code is automatically covered.

Under warranty Ive had a heater core, strut mounts, a leaking turbo oil line, a faulty air bag sensor, a BCM & a diesel exhaust fluid heater replaced. When I first bought the car, it had a bad vibration & the car was pulling hard to the right. The dealer bent over backwards trying to figure it out...changed engine & trans mounts, new rotors & brake pads, & they rotated & balanced the tires several times. When I brought it in I told them I was pretty sure it was the tires, but they persisted until they realized the pulling to the right started pulling to the left when they switched the tires side to side. The dealer got VW of America to install 4 brand new Continentals to replace the crappy no name tires that all the Buy-back TDIs recieved after sitting in giant parking lots for 3 years. I was thrilled.

I've put 40K miles on this car & I love it to death...it gets 48mpg on the highway...but the Diesel warranty finally runs out in November. I'll have a pretty tough decision to make moving forward, but when I do decide to move on, its going to be another CPO for me. I have my eyes on the VW Arteons. They didn't sell well & there's a bunch of leftovers sitting on dealer lots with less than 10K miles. In a year or two, I'll probably buy one for around $20k & have an almost brand new car with a bumper to bumper warranty & the factory powertrain coverage.
I agree with a lot that you are saying. I just did not want to over generalize in to all certified cars are good buys and all used cars from individuals are bad buys. Not that you did that. I was just trying to point out that sometimes we have to look at cases individually. Whether he gets the car at a dealer or an individual I would definitely reccommend he get a pre purchase inspection. I'm fairly confident in my gear head abilities and I still would not want to drive a 1990's on a daily commute that ends up at 20,000 a year. As a weekend pleasure car? Sure but not as a daily driver. People see 20,000 miles and think oh that is almost new but its still got 25 years of age on the bushings, gaskets, etc and those all can become an issue. I also have been window shopping some cars as old as 2004 for a long time but they would be 1-2 time a month garage queens not daily drivers.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I get what you're saying... But buying a car off a used car lot or from a private listing is very different then buying a CPO from a dealer.

Most of the former are "as is" or only offer a minimal warranty measured in days or weeks.

A CPO may not have had an extreme inspection, but the manufacturer is on the hook for repairs.
I'm not against a CPO. As long as the dollars make sense any extra protection is great. I just think some are overpriced. Most cars that are traded in on dealer lots are not CPO. Many will have a lot of life in them. If he can find a CPO that makes sense dollar wise that would be great but I bought my 2007 BMW off a VW lot not a BMW lot. It wasn't a CPO. I have had it 6 years. In 6 years I have had a few very minor repairs but I also did have to replace my AC compressor ($1800 let BMW mechanic do it) and my starter $160.

Does anyone have experience with CarMax? It seems like they’re designed to make buying used cars easier but it looks like their prices are high as well.
They have a legit profit built in on both their sales and their buys. Many years ago when I was selling my 2000 Corvette they gave me the lowest of 3 offers to buy it. I would agree with you. On many cars their prices are a bit high but every once in a while they will have a good buy because they lower prices over time.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Auf have you ever gone to Mazda dealer to text drive a Miata? You may really enjoy it.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Auf have you ever gone to Mazda dealer to text drive a Miata? You may really enjoy it.
These are brilliant but don't get the RF model unless you have no garage and you live in a snowy winter climate. There is a wind buffeting issue.

Depending on how you feel about warranty, put a colored wrap on it to overcome the bland-ass colors Mazda offers from factory (except Mazda's red crystal, which looks terrific) and maybe swap out the exhaust and you're good to go. They are an unbelievable joy to drive and the closest thing to a S2000 you can get today.

EDIT: and heaven forbid don't you dare get an auto in a Miata. Never ever ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad