OT: Cars

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I once had a 71 Ford Pinto ....it sure would shake at 95 MPH ! One night when extreme down shifting LOL....I snapped the shifter right off leaving me a 2 inch stump to use for that purpose....so I hauled out the vice grips and used them for a few days until I had it welded . I have had all 4x4's since 84 . We live in snow country and I also like the dirt roads in Summer .

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How was the ownership experience? I was thinking of pulling the trigger on one when I was younger and prices were low, but got scared off by what I read about the running costs (says the guy with a 20 year old BMW).
I have two BMWs now. I only did 2 repairs on my 968. A heater control valve which I swapped myself. I think the part was probably $25-$50. The other was brake pads which weren't anymore than most cars brake pads. I only had the car for around 2 years so I can not speak about it long term. There was a pretty busy 968 messageboard back then where I think you could probably find a better answer.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
I've only ever worked on shitbox 944s and they turned me off. Well actually one was an 87 924s which was a couple model year only model I believe. 924 body so no flares, old school basic 924 interior and stripped down but with the Porsche 2.5 in it. Quicker than a heavier NA 944.

968s are neat. Lot of convertibles and a shocking number of automatics when I see them available. 3.0L 4 cylinder is cool too.

I have been into older BMWs for nearly 20 years now, Basically anything they made from 1968-1993ish

Couple of the old BMW message boards are no longer hosted. A real shame since there was SOOOO much good info on there. my28, bigcoupe for old 5 and 6 series are gone forever.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I drive a ‘16 MK7 GTI with a stage 1 tune and I adore the thing. Perfect amount of power for the streets. Only issue I’ve had come up in my almost 5 years of ownership is a faulty sensor of some sort. Still looks like the day I bought it.

Recently got the new car itch but after weeks of looking I couldn’t find anything that was even remotely worth the price difference to me.
How do you like the handling? My dad gripes about FWD cars but I’m like dad they don’t make cheap RWD cars anymore lol

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I want a BMW but can’t justify adding a car payment to the mix. I have a fully paid off Hyundai that will last another 150,000 miles if I treat it right. It’s boring but reliable and costs me nothing except gas, insurance, and maintenance. I’ve test driven BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and prefer BMW across the board.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've been driving Subaru's for a long time because I like them. Depending on what you get they can last a long time. I've had two that became teenagers before I turned them in. As far as AWD that can be very useful depending on where you live. For us up (or down) a pretty steep and long road with turns (some of them pretty sharp) it was a major thing to consider and as far as AWD or 4 wheel drive Subaru's are on the cheaper end of what you can pay. If you don't have a steep road to climb in the winter time it's maybe not something that's necessary for you.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
11th Gen Honda Civic Si. If you're into sedans. Type R if you want a hatchback.

The aftermarket parts are solid too.

PRL makes great stuff. High volume intake. They make a cold air intake adapter. All OEM fitment too. They make struts, sway bars, you name it.

27Won makes good stuff.

There's other companies that make ram snorkels. Velossa Tech has an OEM fitment one, doesn't require any modification. 27Won makes one but you'd have to cut the radiator gasket.

There's a lot of options for exhaust upgrades. Magnaflow, Remark, Apexi.

If you want some nice visual upgrades Badgeskins makes nice vinyl wraps for all the front and rear lights.

The 11th gen Civics are fun. They drive great and there's a big community. Like I said the aftermarket is great for the platform. They get great gas mileage too.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I really want to buy a Mazda CX-50 but my 2013 Mazda3 still runs great and I can’t really justify the expenditure for a want not a need.

Being responsible sucks.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I have both a Mk7.5 GTI (Manual Autobahn) and a Mk7 GTI (DSG SE w/ Performance Pack)

I prefer the manual. Well... I also prefer the radar cruise control of the Autobahn...

I bought my manual GTI direct from a dealer in Virginia (I'm on long island) and had it shipped.

Negotiated over email, never met the salesperson.

My point is, don't restrict yourself to cars in your immediate vicinity. As long as it is new or certified used (with a manufacturer warranty) you really don't need a test drive or 3rd party inspection.

Find the car you want, then hop on auto trader and find it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Anyone follow any more exotic cars? Would you prefer a older Ferrari 360 or Ferrari F430 or a more modern Porsche Cayman GT3 or a Porsche 911 GT3?

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
... My point is, don't restrict yourself to cars in your immediate vicinity. As long as it is new or certified used (with a manufacturer warranty) you really don't need a test drive or 3rd party inspection. Find the car you want, then hop on auto trader and find it.
Agreed. I've found the internet has much better prices and selection than local dealers.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I drove the turbo corolla and it was very nice. But there’s nothing wrong with my trusty focus st. Have you looked into jd?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I have both a Mk7.5 GTI (Manual Autobahn) and a Mk7 GTI (DSG SE w/ Performance Pack)

I prefer the manual. Well... I also prefer the radar cruise control of the Autobahn...

I bought my manual GTI direct from a dealer in Virginia (I'm on long island) and had it shipped.

Negotiated over email, never met the salesperson.

My point is, don't restrict yourself to cars in your immediate vicinity. As long as it is new or certified used (with a manufacturer warranty) you really don't need a test drive or 3rd party inspection.

Find the car you want, then hop on auto trader and find it.
How big are the wheels on your GTIs? I found a Golf R but the 19” wheels make me so nervous. I drive like 20k miles a year and not all the roads are great.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
How big are the wheels on your GTIs? I found a Golf R but the 19” wheels make me so nervous. I drive like 20k miles a year and not all the roads are great.
Stock tire size... 18" rims.

I would NOT go bigger... Not on long island anyway.

The LIE was like driving on the cratered moon surface for so long that I used to eat a tire once every couple of months.

I really appreciate CostCo's tire warranty living here... bring back a tire with a non-repairable bubble/puncture and they'll credit you based on tire wear for a replacement.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Stock tire size... 18" rims.

I would NOT go bigger... Not on long island anyway.

The LIE was like driving on the cratered moon surface for so long that I used to eat a tire once every couple of months.

I really appreciate CostCo's tire warranty living here... bring back a tire with a non-repairable bubble/puncture and they'll credit you based on tire wear for a replacement.
Yeah, it’s too expensive too replace the wheels and tires for me. Plus I don’t have a garage.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I want a BMW but can’t justify adding a car payment to the mix. I have a fully paid off Hyundai that will last another 150,000 miles if I treat it right. It’s boring but reliable and costs me nothing except gas, insurance, and maintenance. I’ve test driven BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar and prefer BMW across the board.
Have you driven Genesis, yet?

I drive a 2018 G80 Sport AWD.

It's a 3.3 twin turbo with a great AWD platform. It is every bit as nice as my wife's Audi and is every bit as nice as any BMW I've driven. I paid $32,000 for it with 30,000 miles. Absolute *STEAL*.

Great luxury, quite fast (I used to do a lot of drag racing and had a purpose-built drag car, so I think I can comment on that LOL). I just have mine tuned and it's a blast.

The G70 3.3T AWD is probably more in line of what you're looking for. The G80 is a fair bit bigger of a car. The G70 has a fairly good bit of aftermarket support, now. It's the same platform basically as the Kia Stinger. Another great car, but just nowhere near as nice internally as the G70/G80 is.

Plus you get the Hyundai reliability.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Another option... save some money and go with the Jetta GLI (same powertrain as GTI)... and use the savings to get some 17" wheels/tires.
Even the new GTIs have these stupid 19” wheels. I’d be terrified to drive it. I drive almost 80 miles a day, 50/50 roads/highways.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Even the new GTIs have these stupid 19” wheels. I’d be terrified to drive it. I drive almost 80 miles a day, 50/50 roads/highways.
The question is side wall profile.

Tires on my MK7.5 are:
225/40R18
- 90mm sidewall height
- 637mm diameter tire

Seems like the tires on the MK8's are:
235/35R19
- 82mm sidewall height
- 647mm diameter tire

imo 82mm isn't enough sidewall for tri-state area roads.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can probably swap down to 18" wheels.
The question is side wall profile.

Tires on my MK7.5 are:
225/40R18
- 90mm sidewall height
- 637mm diameter tire

Seems like the tires on the MK8's are:
235/35R19
- 82mm sidewall height
- 647mm diameter tire

imo 82mm isn't enough sidewall for tri-state area roads.
I appreciate the info. My dad had an Audi with 20” wheels and he said any pothole was an immediate flat. I can’t really afford several thousand dollars on top of the car to change the wheels. I might test drive a WRX; I heard their clutches are really weird. The manual transmission is so nice on Volkswagens.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I appreciate the info. My dad had an Audi with 20” wheels and he said any pothole was an immediate flat. I can’t really afford several thousand dollars on top of the car to change the wheels. I might test drive a WRX; I heard their clutches are really weird. The manual transmission is so nice on Volkswagens.
The issue with the WRX manual transmissions recently... (although I haven't driven the latest incarnation) has been rev hang.

I drove a previous gen WRX and the rev hang was so annoying that I immediately ruled it out.

I'm not sure if they've figured it out... but yeah... something to look out for.

I'd be driving and go to upshift and the RPMs would just float sometimes making the transition coming off the clutch really jerky and annoying. And it wasn't 100% of the time, so not something you can just adapt to.

EDIT:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad