OT: Cars

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The issue with the WRX manual transmissions recently... (although I haven't driven the latest incarnation) has been rev hang.

I drove a previous gen WRX and the rev hang was so annoying that I immediately ruled it out.

I'm not sure if they've figured it out... but yeah... something to look out for.

I'd be driving and go to upshift and the RPMs would just float sometimes making the transition coming off the clutch really jerky and annoying. And it wasn't 100% of the time, so not something you can just adapt to.
I learned to drive stick on a Jetta and I’ve had three of them since. So easy to drive. I have a 2021 Jetta R-line right now and honestly it’s a great car. Has tons of features, intuitive interior, absurd gas mileage (like 50 mpg driving the speed limit). It’s just not a toy.

The WRX I want to test drive is a 2019.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I learned to drive stick on a Jetta and I’ve had three of them since. So easy to drive. I have a 2021 Jetta R-line right now and honestly it’s a great car. Has tons of features, intuitive interior, absurd gas mileage (like 50 mpg driving the speed limit). It’s just not a toy.

The WRX I want to test drive is a 2019.
Def be aware of rev hang and make sure you're ok with it before purchasing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Def be aware of rev hang and make sure you're ok with it before purchasing.
It amazes me that a car supposedly built for performance can have poor shifting. It like totally defeats the purpose of a manual transmission. I’ve about questionable comfort, safety features, and the sub-Limited trims apparently come with tin cans for speakers. Honestly it sounds like it’s fun, AWD, and bad at everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Profet

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I drive a 2009 STI. To tell you the truth I don't really know if it hangs or not. Haha. I love my car though, and cars in general, and this year I hope to finally be able to buy a second car so I can start working on the STI. My girlfriend and I hope to get one of the Hyundai Ioniq 6s. I think they are cool and we want an electric car.

Now I can't speak to the newer Subarus, but I do know that the WRX used to have the 5 speed and the STIs have the 6 speed. The 5 speed is known to be a bit fragile and finicky. The 6 speed is an absolute bulletproof unit. Basically everything will grenade before the transmission goes. I do remember hearing that the WRX started to get the 6 speed too I think, but I don't remember the year.

Another thing about the newer WRX and STIs is that they finally went away from the unequal length headers. This is what gave Subarus their unique sound, but is also the cause of the, I think cylinders 1 and 4?, running too hot. The new motor and new equal length headers help solve that issue. The excess heat is what caused the common ringland(the piston rings) failure for the old motors.

Frequent oil changes, 30-60-90 services and not driving like an asshole should get you plenty of life out of the car. Though, that goes for anything really. Ha

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I drive a 2009 STI. To tell you the truth I don't really know if it hangs or not. Haha. I love my car though, and cars in general, and this year I hope to finally be able to buy a second car so I can start working on the STI. My girlfriend and I hope to get one of the Hyundai Ioniq 6s. I think they are cool and we want an electric car.

Now I can't speak to the newer Subarus, but I do know that the WRX used to have the 5 speed and the STIs have the 6 speed. The 5 speed is known to be a bit fragile and finicky. The 6 speed is an absolute bulletproof unit. Basically everything will grenade before the transmission goes. I do remember hearing that the WRX started to get the 6 speed too I think, but I don't remember the year.

Another thing about the newer WRX and STIs is that they finally went away from the unequal length headers. This is what gave Subarus their unique sound, but is also the cause of the, I think cylinders 1 and 4?, running too hot. The new motor and new equal length headers help solve that issue. The excess heat is what caused the common ringland(the piston rings) failure for the old motors.

Frequent oil changes, 30-60-90 services and not driving like an asshole should get you plenty of life out of the car. Though, that goes for anything really. Ha
2009's were pre rev hang.

2015+ is where rev hang is egregious and annoying.

I posted a video on the previous page (with a ninja edit)... make sure you watch it @aufheben

Reactions: MrAlmost

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
2009's were pre rev hang.

2015+ is where rev hang is egregious and annoying.

I posted a video on the previous page (with a ninja edit)... make sure you watch it @aufheben
Ahh fair enough.

Well I can say one thing that has always bothered me in the older cars that I think the newer cars don't really suffer from, is the massive 2 piece heavy driveshaft. Once we get a new car, a 1 piece unit is going in. Lighter shifting, faster revs, and less bucking in low RPMs/speed. It should be illegal to put a 2 piece steel driveshaft in a sports car. Haha

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Trying to find a Porsche or Ferrari with a stick these days is so hard and very expensive. Crazy how high cars with sticks went up since Covid. Pre Covid you could get a F430 factory gated shifter for $130-$150k. Now its closer to $300k.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Trying to find a Porsche or Ferrari with a stick these days is so hard and very expensive. Crazy how high cars with sticks went up since Covid. Pre Covid you could get a F430 factory gated shifter for $130-$150k. Now its closer to $300k.

Because cars, like watches, became money laundering tools. I've been dealing with this in the watch world for a few years, now. It's incredibly frustrating. I used to be able to buy and sell vintage Cartier, for example, for much cheaper. It's just obnoxious at this point.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Because cars, like watches, became money laundering tools. I've been dealing with this in the watch world for a few years, now. It's incredibly frustrating. I used to be able to buy and sell vintage Cartier, for example, for much cheaper. It's just obnoxious at this point.
I didn't realize that was the reason. When I mentioned the crazy increased prices on 15-20 year old cars to a sales person he said I need a time machine to go back 4 years ☹️

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
My classic Alfas......
gina and bella.JPG

Ginahoodup.JPG

Gina1969.png

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Any thoughts about the Lotus Emira?
An absolute gem, 3.5 Toyota V6 in the rear with a 6 spd and the highest quality and most comfortable interior Lotus has ever produced. It's much bigger than it looks in pictures which is a good thing because the gorgeous flowing lines look even better.

HOWEVER, delay buying one as long as you can. The Hethel production and finishing plant has had some teething problems with the Emira and they're ALL being addressed. Lotus is doing an excellent job of taking feedback from owners and reviewers and actively improving the design. Like many modern cars, a lot of the glitches and annoyances are easy software related fixes and others are just changing finish to prevent interior glare, that sort of thing.

I'm probably going to pick one up in the next year or so.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I’m considering getting a new car. I drive a lot and I want something fun. I’ve only owned Volkswagens. I’m comparing the VW Golf GTI and Subaru WRX. The VW Golf R is perfect but it’s so expensive.

I’ve always wanted AWD but I’ve never driven a Subaru so I don’t know how much it actually matters.
I have and have had some pretty nice cars. I bought an STI in 2003 and traded that in for a 2005 STI which I kept until I left the US. In England I've gone through cars very quickly just for the fun of having models and brands I couldn't get in the US but I've always kept a Subaru as my runaround. Even now I have a hybrid Forester as my farm and bad weather car.

I'm not a Subaru fanboi but I find them the right mix of price, driving experience and durability as well as cheapish to fix (at least compared to the other cars I own).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
An absolute gem, 3.5 Toyota V6 in the rear with a 6 spd and the highest quality and most comfortable interior Lotus has ever produced. It's much bigger than it looks in pictures which is a good thing because the gorgeous flowing lines look even better.

HOWEVER, delay buying one as long as you can. The Hethel production and finishing plant has had some teething problems with the Emira and they're ALL being addressed. Lotus is doing an excellent job of taking feedback from owners and reviewers and actively improving the design. Like many modern cars, a lot of the glitches and annoyances are easy software related fixes and others are just changing finish to prevent interior glare, that sort of thing.

I'm probably going to pick one up in the next year or so.
Wow that is a lot of good information. Please keep us updated with your future purchase. :)

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Wow that is a lot of good information. Please keep us updated with your future purchase. :)
Will do. The biggest issue is convincing my wife I need another car that I'll probably do 500 miles a year in. Thankfully the UK has a 2035 cutoff date for new gasoline (petrol) powered cars so I've told her I need a few more before the prices start rising!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Will do. The biggest issue is convincing my wife I need another car that I'll probably do 500 miles a year in. Thankfully the UK has a 2035 cutoff date for new gasoline (petrol) powered cars so I've told her I need a few more before the prices start rising!
500? Sounds like my garage queen that is around 400 a year. Difference is mine is 25 years old 😊

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I didn't realize that was the reason. When I mentioned the crazy increased prices on 15-20 year old cars to a sales person he said I need a time machine to go back 4 years ☹️
It doesn’t surprise me that sales people don’t know anything, heh. But yeah. Especially in neo-vintage Porches and Ferraris - big time money laundering targets. Driven the prices sky high.

Just more ways for rich scumbags to f*** everyone over.

I’m considering getting a new car. I drive a lot and I want something fun. I’ve only owned Volkswagens. I’m comparing the VW Golf GTI and Subaru WRX. The VW Golf R is perfect but it’s so expensive.

I’ve always wanted AWD but I’ve never driven a Subaru so I don’t know how much it actually matters.
If you can go without a stick, get a used G70 3.3 AWD. An absolute blast with even just a piggyback tune.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Is there like a rule of thumb to determine what car you can afford? My salary is average but my expenses are cheap. I’m 35, rent, no debt, good credit, and some savings.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad