GDT: carott

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I mean, not really. If anything, it’s patronizing to try and placate a fanbase that’s justifiably upset at how the season has gone by using an outlier. One can point at the Blues and say “It’s never over”, but that would ignore the HUNDREDS of other teams over the years that start the season poorly and ultimately miss the playoffs because of it.

“Here’s two dozen examples of why you’re misinformed compared to your one example of why you’re right.“ It’s anti-vax logic apply to hockey.
It kinda happened twice last year alone. Not winning the cup of course, but Carolina was next to last in the East last year on Dec 31st and went all the way to the ECF.

his point is valid that there is a ton of hockey still to play. No doubt that the Canes aren’t playing well now so they need to figure it out, but it’s way too early to throw in the towel.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agree. I would go

Slavin-Pesce
Edmundson-Hamilton
Gardiner-TVR

play Slavin-Pesce 25 min/ night. Tell Edmundson that his job is to cover for Dougie so don’t make any stupid pinches.

I’d also stop trying to find some untapped offens from Staal that Brindy seems to think he has. He’s a great shutdown guy, use him that way.
Some day he’s gonna start burying all those slot shots in the power play....

I think he did get one recently, but then during one of these games this week he flat out missed the net by three feet. He almost shot it into the corner.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It kinda happened twice last year alone. Not winning the cup of course, but Carolina was next to last in the East last year on Dec 31st and went all the way to the ECF.

his point is valid that there is a ton of hockey still to play. No doubt that the Canes aren’t playing well now so they need to figure it out, but it’s way too early to throw in the towel.

Yeah, usually there's one or two teams every year that catch fire in the second half and make the playoffs. But even still, that means there are 10-12 teams that stink in the first half...and stink in the second half. No matter which way you cut it, it's not favorable odds.

And yes, it is still early, but there's less time to figure it out than many believe. Due to the nature of the game, many teams "play for the point" in the second half of the season, increasing the number of 3-point games and making true progression up the standings a difficult task.

In addition, in terms of schedule strength, it gets much more difficult for the Canes as the season progresses. This month was supposed to be an easy one, at least in terms of schedule strength. Hell, 3 out of the last 5 games this season are against Boston. Talk about a kick in the junk.

Honestly, it's cliche, but that prototypical Thanksgiving cutoff does seem to be the deadline for the Canes to not only right the ship, but string together a winning streak.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
80% of the season remains to be played. Nothing wrong with what Mike wrote.

No doubt they need to start playing better, but either they are a good team that will figure it out, or a mediocre/bad team that won’t get into the playoffs no matter what. Fretting over the opponents the last 5 games of the season seems kind of senseless.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
80% of the season remains to be played. Nothing wrong with what Mike wrote.

No doubt they need to start playing better, but either they are a good team that will figure it out, or a mediocre/bad team that won’t get into the playoffs no matter what. Fretting over the opponents the last 5 games of the season seems kind of senseless.

Yeah also like 80% of the season left and above real .500. Like, I think the whole “we’re in last place on Jan 1 but so were the Blues so let’s keep hope alive” thing is so stupid, but that’s decidedly not what’s happening here. A 17-game stretch of above .500 hockey. Let’s wait it out a little here lol.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah also like 80% of the season left and above real .500. Like, I think the whole “we’re in last place on Jan 1 but so were the Blues so let’s keep hope alive” thing is so stupid, but that’s decidedly not what’s happening here. A 17-game stretch of above .500 hockey. Let’s wait it out a little here lol.

Right now, a 5-game winning streak to start the season is the only reason we're even close to competitive. After that, it's 4-7-1 in a 12 game stretch. That's worth worrying about, especially with how pisspoor they've looked in many aspects of the game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It’s fine to be worried with their current play. It’s also fine for Maniscalco to say there’s still a lot of hockey to play. Not sure what the issue is with what he wrote.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Right now, a 5-game winning streak to start the season is the only reason we're even close to competitive. After that, it's 4-7-1 in a 12 game stretch. That's worth worrying about, especially with how pisspoor they've looked in many aspects of the game.

Right now a 4 game losing streak is the only reason we’re whining. Except for that, it’s 9-4-1 and one of the best teams in the league.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I wonder what wallmark would look like in a pure scoring role- if they rolled him out with scorers and let Staal take the grinders. Something like
Svechnikov Aho Dzingle
Nino Wallmark Turbo
Mcginn Staal Foegele
Necas Gibbons Luostarinen

And forcefeed o zone starts to the 4th line and d zone starts to the 3rd. Its not ideal but without haula no lineup will be. We really miss McKegg and Maenalanen

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I wonder what wallmark would look like in a pure scoring role- if they rolled him out with scorers and let Staal take the grinders. Something like
Svechnikov Aho Dzingle
Nino Wallmark Turbo
Mcginn Staal Foegele
Necas Gibbons Luostarinen

And forcefeed o zone starts to the 4th line and d zone starts to the 3rd. Its not ideal but without haula no lineup will be. We really miss McKegg and Maenalanen
Hasn’t he been playing with Dzingle and Necas since Haula went down? As close to a scoring line as you can get. While I think he’s a solid 4th line guy who can step up in case of injury I don’t know if he has a whole lot more to give offensively.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Hello guys, how was Luostarinen? Went through your gdt and no mention about him at all. Played 10 minutes and had 1SOG so i guess nothing to talk about?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hello guys, how was Luostarinen? Went through your gdt and no mention about him at all. Played 10 minutes and had 1SOG so i guess nothing to talk about?
He actually has looked really good. I’ve seen him cause a handful of turnovers catching up to guys leaving our offensive zone, he’s been physical in the corners, worked his tail off. Part of a few scoring chances and at times that fourth line with him has been our best. Honestly I like him more than a handful of regulars already. The coach is a loyal veteran oriented coach so there’s no way he’s keeping the spot long term unfortunately. Maybe next years camp.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
He actually has looked really good. I’ve seen him cause a handful of turnovers catching up to guys leaving our offensive zone, he’s been physical in the corners, worked his tail off. Part of a few scoring chances and at times that fourth line with him has been our best. Honestly I like him more than a handful of regulars already. The coach is a loyal veteran oriented coach so there’s no way he’s keeping the spot long term unfortunately. Maybe next years camp.
Agreed. Both games he’s played I thought his line was very good. Especially the New York game, thought it was a mistake to staple him to the bench when they were down. They were definitely causing some havoc in the offensive zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad