Carolina vs Toronto 2PM weekday Start?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Here's the game page -

Toronto Arenas - Montreal Wanderers - December 19th, 1917

Don't see confirmation that it started at 2:00 though, I heard on 1050 that somebody dug it up and it actually started at 8pm..

newspaper-ad-from-le-canada-touting-nhl-s-first-game.jpg

???

That does, indeed, indicate an 8:15 PM start time. Full translation of that is

Tonight
at 8:15
on the artificial ice

Toronto vs. Wanderers

The tickets are on sale at the Arena.

The "Arena" they mention is the aforementioned Montreal Arena which was located at St. Catherine Street and Wood Ave. and would burn down 2 weeks later when its ice plant caught on fire.

CBC has a good article discussing it here

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Somebody in the Leafs front office really screwed up. The timing is awkward and has no historical significance, and the opponent (with all due respect) is totally inappropriate.

I couldn't think of a more anticlimactic way to commemorate such a historic event.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Somebody in the Leafs front office really screwed up. The timing is awkward and has no historical significance, and the opponent (with all due respect) is totally inappropriate.

I couldn't think of a more anticlimactic way to commemorate such a historic event.
I actually think it's sort of neat. I'll be watching, and I know most of my friends will be.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

How dare the NHL soil the sacred halls of the Air Canada Centre by allowing backward redneck filth such as the Carolina Hurricanes to defile the Holy City of Toronto. They are ritually unclean!

Gee whiz the elitism by some fans is just absurd. Carolina is a pretty fun team and it should make for an entertaining game for school children to enjoy.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
If the Canes didn't like Dorothy in Kansas, wonder what they're gonna do to the kids at the ACC

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
How dare the NHL soil the sacred halls of the Air Canada Centre by allowing backward redneck filth such as the Carolina Hurricanes to defile the Holy City of Toronto. They are ritually unclean!

Gee whiz the elitism by some fans is just absurd. Carolina is a pretty fun team and it should make for an entertaining game for school children to enjoy.

I meant no disrespect to Carolina. They are an exciting team, but they have no historical ties to Toronto. It should have been against an Original Six team.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015

You are missing the point completely.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It is mind-boggling that they didn't schedule this game to be against Habs. Classic NHL idiotism right there.

Does it really matter who the game is against? It's a regular season game. It would have been nice if the game was against a rival but I don't think there are any big regular season games until the very end of the season where they decide playoffs outcomes.

It would still be just another game if it was against the Habs.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
i'm glad that everyone can watch this game and see why our attendance isn't great

why would you want to pay and watch this inept franchise?

What in Gods name happened to Justin Faulk? Got to fed up with his lack of production and cut him a few days ago for Heinen. I really thought this was going to be the year the Canes broke through with Faulk leading the charge with his usual 15+ goals but with a big bump in assists. Instead he's been one of the biggest disappointments this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad