Carolina vs Toronto 2PM weekday Start?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
2pm will the 100th year anniversary of the first NHL game played in Toronto to the exact minute.

And for this historic occasion they have: the Carolina Hurricanes?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok the timing thing makes sense but why is it against the hurricanes?

Because Aho is better than Marner.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
To commemorate it, the Leafs will play the Carolina Hurricanes, dressed in throwback Toronto Arena jerseys. The game will be played at 2 p.m., with the Leafs hoping to pack the Air Canada Centre with as many kids as possible. Season-ticket subscribers are asked to bring a child with them that game, or to donate the ticket back to the MLSE Foundation, which will give it to a school-aged fan.
“Our birthday comes on a Tuesday,” Shanahan said. “It is a school night. So the decision was made to do it at two in the afternoon, get kids in the city incentivized a little bit to get the afternoon off school and come watch a hockey game and make the arena a very youthful place with our next generation of hockey fans.”

Maple Leafs to celebrate birthday with Tuesday matinee game Dec. 19 | Toronto Star

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To commemorate it, the Leafs will play the Carolina Hurricanes, dressed in throwback Toronto Arena jerseys. The game will be played at 2 p.m., with the Leafs hoping to pack the Air Canada Centre with as many kids as possible. Season-ticket subscribers are asked to bring a child with them that game, or to donate the ticket back to the MLSE Foundation, which will give it to a school-aged fan.
“Our birthday comes on a Tuesday,” Shanahan said. “It is a school night. So the decision was made to do it at two in the afternoon, get kids in the city incentivized a little bit to get the afternoon off school and come watch a hockey game and make the arena a very youthful place with our next generation of hockey fans.”

Maple Leafs to celebrate birthday with Tuesday matinee game Dec. 19 | Toronto Star

Ooo, will there be any special events before and after the game?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wait so whys the game two hours early? TO match up with 100 year ago game but not against the Canes? Probably could HAVE been Montreal or Boston no?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Honestly, this seems like a cringeworthy idea. 2pm start against the Hurricanes on a Tuesday, hoping STH will donate their tickets to little kids so they can go?

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I would have personally chosen Arizona to play the role of a defunct hockey team but I suppose that in the beginning of the season Carolina seemed like an equally valid choice.

But realistically, and no offense to Carolina and the fans, Carolina isn’t the most intriguing opponent but why waste a game against Montreal, Boston or other prime opponent (in the minds of the Torontians) for an event that will be a big hit because it is a unique event (and therefore the opponent is irrelevant) or it will bomb because of practicalities (and no opponent can save it)?

Reactions: LaxSabre

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I understand the 2 o clock start...

Why in the big blue sky, would they play the game against freaking Carolina????? And that's no disrespect to Carolina, your fans are amazing.

You said it much more diplomatically than I did Bob.

No disrespect to Carolina (girls name btw :naughty:) because they really do have great fans.

So "LIKE"able. ;)

The match-up just seems... unsexy? Is that fair?

How about the Hurricanes wear old Whalers jerseys and we call it even...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I understand the 2 o clock start...

Why in the big blue sky, would they play the game against freaking Carolina????? And that's no disrespect to Carolina, your fans are amazing.
Why don't any of them post here?

"Season-ticket subscribers are asked to bring a child with them that game, or to donate the ticket back to the MLSE Foundation, which will give it to a school-aged fan."

Yes, leave it to the paying customer to do a good deed. It's not like MLSE can afford to reimburse season ticket holders who want to give their ticket away.

Bringing my daughter, pulling her from school at 12.

I have to agree, it is sort of a dick move to try shame your season ticket holders into giving away their tickets for a promotion you want to do, they could at least offer to pay fair value for those tickets(ie Cost of season tickets / 41)

They do they same on the Military appreciation night.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The Leafs should do it more often. The Chicago Cubs are known for having matinee games. This is the way to break curses. The Cubs recently broke their century long championship drought, and the Leafs can too.
The have matinee games on Fridays I'm pretty sure not on Tuesdays.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
They probably did it to troll Toronto fans who will wax on about how outclassed their opponents are. Little did they know they could have picked any team for this.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Ok the timing thing makes sense but why is it against the hurricanes. No offense to Carolina but no one really looks forward to playing against them... theres literally no history between the two teams.

Who was the team Toronto faced 100 years ago?

Montreal Wanderers

The Arenas lost 10-9.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Its the Canes because MLSE wants season ticket holders to donate tickets to children for this game. Far more likely to happen vs the Canes.

Reactions: Voight and Cotton

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Definitely an odd start time.....Toronto never gets matinees, let alone ones during the week.

I'm still wondering when the Leafs' brass will finally admit that Matthews has a concussion. Their refusal/inability to properly report injury is fairly see-through, IMO.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Leafs should do it more often. The Chicago Cubs are known for having matinee games. This is the way to break curses. The Cubs recently broke their century long championship drought, and the Leafs can too.

They'll never do Saturday afternoon games because The Leafs on HNIC is an institution and a national treasure, and during the week its hard because the majority of fans are working, unless they do maybe one matinee game a month, or save them for when schools off/stat holidays.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Here's the game page -

Toronto Arenas - Montreal Wanderers - December 19th, 1917

Don't see confirmation that it started at 2:00 though, I heard on 1050 that somebody dug it up and it actually started at 8pm..

newspaper-ad-from-le-canada-touting-nhl-s-first-game.jpg

???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad