Carolina vs Toronto 2PM weekday Start?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I meant no disrespect to Carolina. They are an exciting team, but they have no historical ties to Toronto. It should have been against an Original Six team.

I doubt the Leafs or Sportsnet wanted to give up a premium O6 match-up to a 2PM. Hence, Carolina.

Plus, even an O6 team would technically be inaccurate: Toronto & Montréal are the only two extant teams from 1917 and the Habs first game was against the original Ottawa Senators. The Leafs played the Wanderers, which folded before the season was over.

In alternative universe, the best possible opponent for this game could have been Hamilton (the Québec Bulldogs took the Wanderers place in 1918 and then relocated to Hamilton in 1920), IMO, but obviously that never materialized with Balsillie being blackballed by the league.

Reactions: Raymoondo

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Play all 82 Leafs games at 2pm if the first period's any indication.

There are kids at the game, probably a bunch of suits taking off work early, and kids are watching in school assemblies across the city apparently.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
How dare the NHL soil the sacred halls of the Air Canada Centre by allowing backward redneck filth such as the Carolina Hurricanes to defile the Holy City of Toronto. They are ritually unclean!

Gee whiz the elitism by some fans is just absurd. Carolina is a pretty fun team and it should make for an entertaining game for school children to enjoy.

Nobody hates Carolina but look at it from Toronto's perspective. Carolina versus teams like the Habs, Sens, Wings, Bruins? even the Sabres????

If you think about it, Carolina was one of the worst choices... but I think the point someone brought up earlier that TO didn't want to waste a high profile opponent on a matinee game makes sense.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
An Original Six team would be worse (other than Montreal) as it would just perpetuate people thinking that they are actually 'original'.

If you know the history of the Whalers, the franchise is actually a bit of a 'wanderer', so it fits.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I just started watching and the Leafs scored two goals in less than 5 minutes.

I was gonna say they are having a 2pm start to lull the Canes to sleep.... the way the Canes look, I think it's accurate.

Although, Darling in net doesn't help them much?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Canes Didn't get the memo about the game starting at 2 they thought it was a pregame skate :P

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nobody hates Carolina but look at it from Toronto's perspective. Carolina versus teams like the Habs, Sens, Wings, Bruins? even the Sabres????

If you think about it, Carolina was one of the worst choices... but I think the point someone brought up earlier that TO didn't want to waste a high profile opponent on a matinee game makes sense.

Toronto has a lot less pull with the NHl than most people on here think. It is all to do with advertising $$$.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad