Proposal: Carolina - Vancouver

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
That’s fair, if we had a late 1st or an earlier 2nd I’d do it. Maybe another piece, maybe throw in a mid rounder or something to bridge that gap.
I'd think long and hard about that as a Van fan.

Boeser + Demko for Pesce and a late 1st would fix a lot of our problems, particularly if Pod turns out to be the real deal.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Boeser
Demko
Stecher

for

Pesce
Car 1st

Or if Van can't meet Markstroms contract demands...

Boeser
Markstrom (rights)

for

Pesce

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Boeser
Demko
Stecher

for

Pesce
Car 1st

Believe it or not, Carolina probably can’t take on that extra cap. Also as a small market team, need to keep 13 OA. Adding Stecher doesn’t do enough for Carolina to add 13oa.

Or if Van can't meet Markstroms contract demands...

Boeser
Markstrom (rights)

for

Pesce
if Vancouver can’t meet Markstrom’s demands, I question if Carolina could.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Would Boeser + Demko for Pesce + Bean be closer?

The Canucks could protect both Pesce and Bean, they don't have any defenseman to protect since they could expose Myers and no need to protect Hughes.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

The Canucks could protect both Pesce and Bean, they don't have any defenseman to protect since they could expose Myers and no need to protect Hughes.

I'd almost rather downgrade BB to a lesser fwd explicitly to be able to get Pesce outta there too.

Something around Virtanen and Demko that costs us Bean+pick/spec/taking-cap (Not LE!) is way more interesting to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd almost rather downgrade BB to a lesser fwd explicitly to be able to get Pesce outta there too.

Something around Virtanen and Demko that costs us Bean+pick/spec/taking-cap (Not LE!) is way more interesting to me.

Gaudette + Demko for (Bean or Fleury) + #43

I think Gaudette would be a great match with Brind'Amour.

Reactions: Chan790

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I can't see the Canes giving up much for Demko. They've been burned twice when trading for goalies who looked great but with relatively little NHL experience (Eddie Lack and Scott Darling). And both had a lot more NHL experience than Demko.

Don't get me wrong, Demko was brilliant in the playoffs and I'd love to see what he would do in Carolina. And I'm not saying he isn't worth much; it's just that I see the Canes as being particularly gun shy given their recent history. I think they'll be looking for a more proven goalie.

Gotta think Demko is worth a lot more to Vancouver than what the Canes would offer for him.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
And if Askarov is gone before their pick? Their current goalies are at best good backups.

If Askarov is gone before our pick, it quite possibly means someone fantastic fell in our laps.

We either take the pick or move it to someone willing to pay handsomely with a solution to our problems. (A top-6 F who ideally a RH power forward, or a young goaltender.)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

The problem most Canes fans have with moving Pesce, is that the Canes only have two nhl RHD under contract. Hamilton, who is signed for 1 more year and is going to cost a fortune to re-sign, and Pesce. There is no internal replacement. Period. If they can’t sign Hamilton, then the Canes have no RHD left. This wasn’t like 2 years ago where they had Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk and TVR at the nhl level and Fox in the system.

There’s no depth left anymore to make a guy expendable in a trade.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
And if Askarov is gone before their pick? Their current goalies are at best good backups.

Luckily the Draft is before Free Agency so they can gameplan accordingly.

1) If Askarov drops to Carolina - Trade for a short-term option or just lean on Mrazek/Reimer again next year. I like Raanta personally. Mrazek took Carolina to the ECF last year and Reimer had a 0.934 SV% this Playoffs. Both are free agents next year so there are a lot of options.
2) If Askarov is taken before #13 - Take the faller or a guy like Jarvis/Holloway/Amirov/Quinn. The door opens then to look at a Markstrom/Lehner long-term signing or trading for a long-term solution. Maybe Demko if he's available and they feel good about him.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The problem most Canes fans have with moving Pesce, is that the Canes only have two nhl RHD under contract. Hamilton, who is signed for 1 more year and is going to cost a fortune to re-sign, and Pesce. There is no internal replacement. Period. If they can’t sign Hamilton, then the Canes have no RHD left. This wasn’t like 2 years ago where they had Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk and TVR at the nhl level and Fox in the system.

There’s no depth left anymore to make a guy expendable in a trade.

I think to make the trade more realistic based on timelines it maybe would have to be Pesce + Bean and it would have to happen after the draft and maybe during free agency.

If Carolina can sign one of Vatanen or Tanev to a good deal then I could maybe see Pesce being available based on his contract value being so high.

But it’s complicated like you said. Canes can’t afford to trade Pesce right now period, without having something else on the right side.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Carolina probably isn’t a good trade partner then, which is fine.

Yeah, Canes and Van are probably just too similar in their team trajectory and both need the same type of players in terms of age/contract/team control.

At a certain point something has to give with Vancouvers goalie situation. They either commit to Markstrom or trade Demko because it’s not worth losing him to Seattle. When it comes down to that you just try to give the best value you can if he’s the guy you want.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I think the reason why Vancouver and Carolina make sense as trading partners is the expansion draft. As currently constructed, Vancouver is primed to lose one of Demko/Markstrom (if Markstrom is re-signed) and Carolina is primed to lose one of their defensemen (Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Sjkei). Vancouver doesn't have enough good defenseman worth protecting and Carolina doesn't really care as much about protecting Reimer/Mrazek as much as other pieces of their roster.

Honest question for Carolina fans: What are the thoughts around expansion protection currently (i.e. who to protect vs who to expose) and what are some of the preferred solutions out there right now amongst the fan base for what to do? One of the earlier posters on here suggested trading a 1st to Seattle to not take a defenseman. Is that preferred over trading them for a forward or goalie or draft pick?

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
I don't see the incentive here for Vancouver. If they're going to move young pieces for a defenseman it better be a RH'ed d-man. I'd value Gaudette similarly to Bean/Fleury but I'd want more than a mid-2nd to move Demko.

Huge incentive for Vancouver.

If we resign Markstrom we'll lose one of Markstrom/Demko to Seattle in the expansion draft for nothing, or have to pay assets to keep them. Given our current roster the Canucks don't have a lot of quality defenseman to protect as Hughes isn't eligble and Edler's contract is up. That means we really don't have a lot of prime assets on defense we NEED to protect (Myers?, Stecher?, Juolevi) which gives us space to trade for one. If the value is there, it could be a win-win for Carolina as they have a too many decent defenseman so they'll need to expose one or two.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think the reason why Vancouver and Carolina make sense as trading partners is the expansion draft. As currently constructed, Vancouver is primed to lose one of Demko/Markstrom (if Markstrom is re-signed) and Carolina is primed to lose one of their defensemen (Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, Sjkei). Vancouver doesn't have enough good defenseman worth protecting and Carolina doesn't really care as much about protecting Reimer/Mrazek as much as other pieces of their roster.

Honest question for Carolina fans: What are the thoughts around expansion protection currently (i.e. who to protect vs who to expose) and what are some of the preferred solutions out there right now amongst the fan base for what to do? One of the earlier posters on here suggested trading a 1st to Seattle to not take a defenseman. Is that preferred over trading them for a forward or goalie or draft pick?

The issue Carolina has is even if you use a 4-4 alignment and protect Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, and Skjei, you still have:
Gardiner
Fleury
Bean

available to be picked.
You can trade Fleury for something, but then Francis likely takes Bean. Now you're out Fleury AND Bean because you tried to outsmart the expansion draft. Is the loss of both of those players worth the forward or pick?

If you trade Fleury and you trade Bean, is the sum of what you get in return worth losing Fleury AND Bean AND someone else (Gardiner or Trocheck) in the expansion draft? Or is it worth a 2nd or 1st to get Francis to avoid Bean and Fleury? Would Francis even go for that move, given Francis drafted Bean and Fleury and would likely be interested in at least one of them?

Or is it better to just swallow hard and accept you're losing a good young D? Demko would be one I can see changing the calculus because there isn't a G to protect right now. Or the Canes could sign a UFA goalie and we are back to swallowing hard and accepting you're losing a good player to Seattle.

To sum up: a deal makes more sense if there's a way to get down to Gardiner being the best D exposed to Seattle. I don't see that as possible.

Reactions: Wildcarder

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

They're going to lose something of value no matter what they do. Right now, that's probably one of Bean/Fleury. Attempt to trade out of that, and they probably lose both. Go 8 skaters and Foegele is exposed on the other side. Even trading one and waiting to re-sign Hamilton gives Seattle a player they just dropped a 1st on in Skjei.

It it was it is, as the saying goes. Let Francis take who he wants and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad