Speculation: Carolina summer shakeup?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Ron Francis... promo-fired? Fire-moted?

Anyway Francis is out as Hurricanes GM, bumped to President of Hockey Ops role. Proud record of 0 player for player trades in four years, and Carolina hasn’t seen much on-ice success either.

Is this the offseason that Carolina shakes things up?

IMO, Carolina is one of those teams that have a bunch of B+ and B assets to move (outside of Slavin and Aho, who IMO shouldn’t go anywhere).

The term you're looking for is "fired up".

... fired up.

... I have nothing else to contribute to this thread.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
At least Francis’ successor won’t have have much pressure to succeed. Ronny just sat on his hands for 4 years.

But but but they have good prospects!

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Small trade proposal but how would Canes fans feel about:

Kruger and Darling at 50% off

to Hawks for Kero, Berube/Forsberg and Hossa's contract

Hawks take two players who played well for them. Gives them a 4th line C to win FO's and a backup who would do well under Waite again. They unload Hossa's contract in the process, and save 1.7 in cap.

For the Canes, they get rid of 2 players who have not been a fit for their team. Both players have underperformed. They would not have to pay Hossa's contract.

Would, easily easily soooooo frigin easily would. That's about as painless a way to get rid of those two as the Canes could want.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
But the biggest asset the Hurricanes have this offseason is 15.8, as in the amount of cap space the Canes currently have with only a few RFA deals to give to Lindholm, Hanifin, TVR, and to re-sign Ward. Canes have the potential to be big time players in free agency coming up here, and could make moves to really boost the roster without having to give up a single asset in the process.

Am I missing something or are the RFA raises baked in to that number? According to cap friendly your number is $48.5 million against an (at least) $78M cap. I get that Lindholm, Hanifin and TVR are all going to get significant bumps, but to know you can easily keep those guys and probably chase at least two major names on the free agent market must feel good.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Am I missing something or are the RFA raises baked in to that number? According to cap friendly your number is $48.5 million against an (at least) $78M cap. I get that Lindholm, Hanifin and TVR are all going to get significant bumps, but to know you can easily keep those guys and probably chase at least two major names on the free agent market must feel good.
No that's what we're currently at (or were at time of post) vs spending to the cap. Even if Lindholm, Hanifin, and TVR are re-signed to generous deals we'd still be able to painlessly bring in JT as a UFA.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
No that's what we're currently at vs spending to the cap. Even if Lindholm, Hanifin, and TVR are re-signed to generous deals we'd still be able to painlessly bring in JT as a UFA.
Ahh okay, had forgotten about the internal cap. Still, it’s a great position to be in. An axis of JT, Staal, Rask instantly valuts you guys into the ranks of contenders

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Is he your best defensemen or the bad one you want to give us?

Debatable having an off year but still considered our best offensive d man. Used to be a regular 40 point guy. Change of scenery may do him well. Otherwise maybe Fleury, prospect, and a 2nd? If you want more of a mobile up and coming defensive d man. Pesce and Slavin command more since we already have Staal who is similar to ROR. ROR is a good player.

Last edited:

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ahh okay, had forgotten about the internal cap. Still, it’s a great position to be in. An axis of JT, Staal, Rask instantly valuts you guys into the ranks of contenders

Think you mean Lindholm, who is a far superior player to Rask. I'll be shocked if Rask is still here come August 1

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
#JustKillMeNow

If we're taking back the Hossa contract, my guess is we're not also paying 50% of Darling's deal. That's more of a 1 for 1 thing.

You are talking in Shaw's name right?? Cause he just got killed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad